New to this all....Any suggestions?

Options
Hey everyone I am new to this but I am wanting some tips on what I should do when I work night shifts. I work at the hospital and I work night shifts about once a week. I don't really sleep during the day... so I eat all day. Then I am up all night and I eat then too. Is it better to not eat during the day or not eat at night? I have gotten different answer... anyone else had to deal with this? What do you do?

Replies

• Snick7227
    Snick7227 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi, I am not normally a night shift person but when I had to work night shift for two weeks I made sure that I didn't eat for the 4hrs prior to my sleep (nap). I would say not to eat during the day as much since you need most of your energy at night. I hope this helped some what.
  • nalance
    nalance Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks so much that does help! Also I have heard its bad to not eat when I am up all night.. is this true? I have thought about eating normal during the day and eating nothing at night but I have heard that can be bad...
  • Snick7227
    Snick7227 Posts: 13
    Options
    I can't really see it being good for you but I don't know that for a fact. But if you think about it your body needs food to give you energy and all the other nutrients it needs and when you are most active is the time you need it most. I know it is difficult not to eat during the day as well but if you have to work night I would recommend to just plan ahead and make sure you do not eat four hours before you sleep. You need to give your body time to digest your food before you sleep, just like they say it's not good to eat after 7pm. Good luck and any other questions just ask!