Acne Solutions?

Options
I have pretty bad acne on my face and back and I thought I should make use of the wonderful resource of people on here!

I was just wondering if anybody knows good products or regimens that can help??

I currently use Tazorac almost every day unless my skin is dry, and take Minocycline 90mg, as well as washing with AcneFree Cream Cleanser (5% Benzoyl Peroxide).

My skin is also pretty sensitive and dry in the winter.

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong forum...I didn't know where to put it.

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion is witch hazel. It's also good for any other kind of inflamation so it'll do well on sprains and bug bites as well. You can get it at just about any drug store and it'll probably be a hell of a lot cheaper than your typical corporation produced anti-acne solution.

Just don't leave it on for TOO long as I find it'll almost 'burn' the skin if you do.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    One of my friends had an acne flare up while pregnant, and couldn't really use anything for it safely. She used egg yolk brushed on her face and let it dry on her face like a mask. It worked wonderfully for her!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Certain foods like grease and cheeses can cause acne
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    One of my friends had an acne flare up while pregnant, and couldn't really use anything for it safely. She used egg yolk brushed on her face and let it dry on her face like a mask. It worked wonderfully for her!

Egg yolk clears up inflammation, so it could help reduce the appearance of acne. I would just make sure to wash your face twice daily and drink water. I have a normal face and only get acne before my TOM, but when I was younger I noticed a huge difference when I increased my water intake ( I don't know why or if that was the cause could be that I just got older hormones cleared up etc) I would just make sure not to try all these ideas at once. try one new idea a month to see if it helps.
  • PipBnz
    PipBnz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used to have really bad acne, i used a few drops of tea tree oil in aqueous cream (the stuff people with ecezma use) twice a day, especially when my skin was super inflamed.
    When it got a little better i started on the Clinique acne solutions range, that was 3 years ago and ive kept using it and i only get 2 or 3 wee spots a month :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    I personally struggled with acne up until recently. The minute i stopped using all the washes and lotions with loads of chemicals my skin started calming down. Now- some people genuinely need these things- but overkill can be just as bad because of the drying and peeling. drinking LOADS of water has really helped me and using more organic, gentle cleansers with lower levels on Benzoyl Peroxide. Cutting the oily foods and cutting down on sugar helped me as well. Also, if you wear makeup- make sure to use a primer/ moisturizer to even things out and help use less powders and pore clogging foundations- hope this helps!
  • browneyedbeauteDELETED
    Options
    Best thing ever is retinA and Tetracycline. I messed around with stuff for years with no results. Go to a dermatologist and get rx for bith of these and your face will be amazing in about 4 months. My skin is almosr flawless thanks to it
  • browneyedbeauteDELETED
    Options
    I've been told that eating oily food has nothing to do with having acne. Its all your body chemistry and biology. Of course, eating a tin if veggies will di wonders as well.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I've used ProActiv on and off in the past ten years (I don't have constant blemish problems - just very oily skin). It really works!

eta: if you go to my profile and look at my main pic, I'm in the sequined fedora hat - you can see my forehead shining. I didn't use it that day..
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was on accutane twice- and still get acne. Recently, I started taking zinc supplements-- and it helps alot. I also have psoriasis and it seems to have helped that as well. You have to be careful with zinc supplementation because it can deplete your copper stores. Do some research... My face has cleared ALOT.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't have acne, so maybe my input is not helpful. But, I do get blemishes because I have oily skin. But, if I use a good quality 5% benzoyl peroxide cream or gel that is made for adult skin with moisturizers then I have clear skin. I use B.Kamins blemish gel and I get it from Sephora (it's a Canadian company). I also use their eye cream because I have sensitive eyes.

I also wash my face with a simple gel cleanser that has 2% Salicylic Acid (Neutrogena). I use an astringent with 2% Salicylic Acid (Biore). And I exfoliate regularly with a good quality exfoliate. I use a gel one from GM Collins that I purchase at an esthetics spa, skin care type of place (even though I don't get any treatments or facials). And I just use a light, oil free moisturizer. And I use a good quality spf.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I had a nasty flare up on my back recently, tried creams and lotions and potions, nada. However I decided I wanted a tan for a party, slaped the fake bake on, 2 days later... gone! Well nearly gone. The stuff is so drying it killed em dead.
  • Ericaalicia0608
    Ericaalicia0608 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I take 50 mg of Opti Zinc vitamins every day. Use Yes to Tomatoes clear cleanser twice a day to wash face. Persa Gel 10% Benzoyl
    when I have a breakout. I apply only before bed. For moisturizer I use DermaE vitamin A gel. Pur Minerals for foundation. When I broke out on my back I used Panoxyl Bar soap, it cleared up and has not come back, but I still use it sometimes after a workout. Check your ingredients in make up and products. It is amazing how many products say they won't clog your pores but contain pore clogging ingredients! Check out this link and compare to the products you are already using. Its an excellent blog to gain some very useful information. http://facerealityacneclinic.com/articles/pore_clogging.php I have done alot of research and product testing, had acne since I was 14. I'm 31 now. With the right products and a great esthetician my skin is beautiful. :) Good luck!
  • Ericaalicia0608
    Ericaalicia0608 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was on accutane twice- and still get acne. Recently, I started taking zinc supplements-- and it helps alot. I also have psoriasis and it seems to have helped that as well. You have to be careful with zinc supplementation because it can deplete your copper stores. Do some research... My face has cleared ALOT.

Swear by the zinc! :) Its not expensive and does wonders.
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I was on Accutane years ago when I was 14 (worked wonderfully!) but my psoriasis has flared up and became worse ever since.
    I used to use a soap called 'FaceDoctor'. WHAT A MIRACLE WORKER. I used it from age 14-21. I'm 22 now. I can't find it ANYWHERE anymore. I hope the FaceDoctor soap company didn't go out of business because besides Accutane, nothing has done such a great job with my skin!
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    ooooh I am going to look into zinc! good idea!
  • Yo_Lazarov
    Yo_Lazarov Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good hygiene regiment.

NIVEA products are the only ones that have ever had a positive contribution.

In addition, ZMA is great.

Check digestive system is functioning in order.

Best of luck.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have pretty bad acne on my face and back and I thought I should make use of the wonderful resource of people on here!

I was just wondering if anybody knows good products or regimens that can help??

I currently use Tazorac almost every day unless my skin is dry, and take Minocycline 90mg, as well as washing with AcneFree Cream Cleanser (5% Benzoyl Peroxide).

My skin is also pretty sensitive and dry in the winter.

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong forum...I didn't know where to put it.

I use Tazorac, too! I've used everything, I swear! Someone else suggested you go to a dermatologist and get a Rx for retinA... except you obviously go to a derm for the Tazorac, PLUS Tazorac is stronger than retinA as you probably know...

Tazorac is pretty much as good as it gets and it still won't get rid of some acne along my jaw line. My dermatologist suggested getting facials (from an actual esthetician). I got one for the first time two weeks ago, and it is helping! I know once I go a few more times, my stubborn acne will finally be gone!

Tanning is not a good solution for acne.... dermatologists HATE that "remedy"!!

Your medicated face wash might be best for you, based in it being prescribed to you, however for me it was just too much and dried me out too much. I use Cerave moisturizing cleanser and Cerave "PM" moisturizer. The "PM" can be used any time of day, but it specifically has an extra redness-reducing factor in it!

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you!
  • 1nr15
    1nr15 Posts: 155
    Options
    get your dermatologist to prescribe you a sodium sulfate cleanser... it's amazing!