4weeks of p90x - no results...help :(

Options
I have been doing the p90x program for the last 4 weeks and working on roughly 2000 calories a day. I have gained a bit of muscle but no weight loss since starting. does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Replies

• sinman22807
    sinman22807 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been told by quite a few people. if you notice you are gaining muscle, then you are less likely to see the scale go down since muscle weighs more then fat. So maybe you are losing fat, but since you have gained muscle your not seeing the number go down.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    P90x is awesome, but those people on the advertisements results arent typical, if you notice most of them arent fat to begin with, so they didnt have much weight to loose.

Second point, you are building muscles, your body is being redefined, and muscle weighs a whole lot more than fat, so you are turning your fat into muscle which weighs more, so your scale may not be moving, but you may be loosing inches, you should probably measure yourself, if you havent already done so, and test your improvements that way...but the fact that you notice muscle building, means it is working, and redefining your body.

I did P90X and the scale never moved for me, but I built a whole lot of muscle and lost alot of inches.

So stick it out, because in the end muscle building is always more benefecial and your body will look more defined and hot/sexy

Goodluck
  • JessicaFB
    JessicaFB Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Be patient. That's awesome that you're replacing fat with muscle!! The further along the program you go, the more prominent your results will be. Hang in there!
  • futureonfire
    futureonfire Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Did you take your measurements? I did a program for 4 weeks and only lost a few pounds BUT I lost 29 inches!! And it's similar to p90x.

Here's the deal - the first 30 days you are gaining muscle - you may not see a lot of movement on the scale. The next 30 days your metabolism is revved up and kicking in, and it's the last 30 days that you will see the fat loss.

ALSO remember - that when you build muscle while losing weight - EVERY POUND you lose is FAT!! So, keep it up and just envision the fat melting away and inches leaving!! Then TAKE MeASUREMENTS so you can see those results over the next 30 days.

If I wouldn't have taken measurements I would have been very discouraged, but it kept me going:)
  • LosingLori
    Options
    You need to look at your measurements and not the weight. A common myth is that muscle weighs more than fat...and that is not true. How can a pound of muscle weigh more than a pound of fat? A pound is a pound. Google it...and you will find some interesting articles and pictures showing how much more 'space' the same amount of fat consumes.

Look at your overall measurements...and I bet you will see a big difference there. Don't get discouraged...and keep it up!!!!!

739764.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Unless you're really short, you should probably be eating closer to 2400 calories.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    You need to look at your measurements and not the weight. A common myth is that muscle weighs more than fat...and that is not true. How can a pound of muscle weigh more than a pound of fat? A pound is a pound. Google it...and you will find some interesting articles and pictures showing how much more 'space' the same amount of fat consumes.

Look at your overall measurements...and I bet you will see a big difference there. Don't get discouraged...and keep it up!!!!!

739764.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I'm sure people mean that muscle and fat that take up the same amount of space weigh different amounts, not a pound vs. a pound.

The above people are right, you can get in very very good shape on p90x, it's a great program, but most of the visual changes happen from day 45-90, not the first 45 days. In the beginning, you're doing more things internal (learning the moves, ramping up the metabolism, building muscle under the layer of fat, getting your nutrition under control), after that, the fat melts away leaving nothing but ripped muscle.

Depending on how overweight you are atm, you may need more than 90 days, but stick with it and don't expect results overnight. It took more than 30 days to gain the weight right?
  • slegris
    slegris Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This is just the boost I needed!
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, its just more dense so you may see an inches loss.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    By the way, grats on getting through Phase 1! You should join the P90X thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/89626-p90x-starting-a-new-thread ... there are a few coaches and other people who might have started around the time you did.