Lagging motivation...needing some help and inspiration :-(

Options
So I know in theory I want to lose weight and one of my biggest motivators was being beautiful and desirable to my fiance. Recently he told me that I was just fine the way I am and attractive just the way I am right now, which is wonderful but it kind of knocked me off the wagon a little bit. Clearly my motivation was a bit too external so I was curious what really drives other people to lose weight and make those good decisions every day about what they eat.

Replies

• farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Being told I'd be dead in five years kick started me. Then realizing how good I feel and look has kept me going. I also have made myself very public on here and on Facebook. I have accountability all over the world!! Keeps me working!!! Good luck to you!!
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I think of how good I FEEL after a workout.. It's hard to get past the superficial, "how you look" but the feeling when you eat right, get some exercise, and get enough sleep is AMAZING! You feel so good and energized! I get so much more done! :D
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Health. I found my power 10 years ago. I did not want to die. Hospital for a month, scared me straight.

Then after 100 pounds the really good stuff kicked in. I was not tired all the time. I could walk up hills and not even breath hard. I could keep up with my husband. I did not have to buy "grandma" clothes anymore. I could shop anyplace I wanted.
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    i used to eat so much bad foods and used to just sit on the couch and play video games all day.
    but now i eat healthy and hike everyday.
    i guess my motivation is how good i feel after exercising and eating well,
    when i eat horribly or dont exercise.. i feel gross.
    also i just want to feel comfy in my body & that motivates me(:
  • coley0880
    coley0880 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from needing to get re-inspired and motivated. A couple weeks ago I just stopped logging for a few days and just ate and didn't do anything because I too was falling off the wagon a little. What I found that re-inspired and brought me back was finding a new perspective. I've come to the conclusion that in the grand scheme of things, the world doesn't care if you weigh 400 or 100, but why not make the positive changes and make yourself happy? You are the only you out there, and nobody else can make changes for you. You only get one body and one life to live, so do what's right for you and makes you feel confident and accomplished.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of being tired and not happy with how I look. I've never been a skinny minny so it's not about getting "back" to something I once was it's about feeling better and hopefully finding love. I gained 25lbs after my mom died and it's taken me quite some time to realize how much physically it's affected me and I don't like the feeling. Being prettier will be a plus too...lol
  • randilious
    Options
    I signed up for warrior dash, and didn't want to make an *kitten* of myself. When I accomplished that, I signed up for a harder race!!! Keep setting goals for yourself that you want to accomplish, make them a stretch, but attainable! every time you meet a goal set a new one! that is what works for me!!!!!
  • karolynanderson
    karolynanderson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am doing it for my health, myself then my husband. I grew up thin then over the last 6 or 7 years got fat. I started this program and started seeing results right away and went for it. I'm down 32 lbs and have 25 to go. my husband helps by encouraging me. I guess I would like to be around for many more years. good luck and God bless karolyn
  • somemansdream
    Options
    One of the things I do is read stories about people who are winning this battle. From stories posted on here to books I buy where people have learned to lose major weight--I use those for inspiration.

I also think about what it costs me to keep going down this same path--the consequences are very serious now.
    I think about all the things I want to do but can't right now.

Good luck, hope that motivation lights a fire in you again. Debbie
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My husband has always loved me (and was always physically attracted to me) regardless of weight. That's probably why he was never a good source of motivation.

Ultimately, it came down to me seeing myself on the same path as overweight family members. I had a picture taken next to someone I considered "fat" and when I saw it, it finally clicked that I wasn't really that much smaller than said fat person. And I was headed for the same health problems that they faced. It was not a fun, happy future.

That was my kick in the pants - and the way I feel now (and how I look) is enough motivation to stay healthy and fit (and much smaller) from here on out.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks! This has been really helpful!