Buying clothes that don't fit...

Options
I may have a slight problem with buying clothes that are way too small. I think that one day I will be able to fit in them, but as hard as I try, I'm not losing weight at a reasonable pace since beginning recovery from bulimia. I have a dress and two pairs of shorts that are half my size, and now I'm obsessing over this gorgeous shirt that only comes in a size 6. I'm so frustrated. I wish I could just buy the damn thing for myself, lose the weight, and wear it.

Anybody else have clothes that don't fit? Do you feel guilty for buying them and where have you put them? Mine are all stored away in a drawer I never touch.

Replies

• miasapearl
    miasapearl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I do that too. I hang them up where I can see it. I call them "my motivational dresses" O:). I have managed to fit into some of them like 5 years later. No regrets. I love them too much and I would not have been able to find them later. I have problems I know but it's so worth it to me.
  • Pandabug93
    Pandabug93 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have one or two things that don't fit me, but I'm keeping them because I know it'll feel so good when I can finally wear it and look good in it. One of the shirts I've had for five years now fits me! I'd still like to lose a little more weight before wearing it around in public though. Just be patient with yourself and forgiving. I keep them in my bottom drawer for my dresser and it helps remind me what I need to lose still.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. It helps to know I'm not alone. Trying to decide whether or not to buy the shirt still since there's one left. If I knew that I could just get there one day...
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I don't for the simple reason that we are all different shapes. Just because I'm a certain size doesn't mean I fit correctly in every single item of that size. That doesn't even account for the variability in some of the sizing between brands. What would be more accurate would be taking something that fits now and comparing it to something you used to wear that was snug. I realize that doesn't give you a motivational target to push towards, but it is more accurate.

Now having said all of that, you do whatever motivates you to do what you need to do!

What I wish I had though is something from the before kids era just to see the difference, if any.
  • 47feeling60
    47feeling60 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible habit of thinking, someday i will fit into that! I keep clothes that I really like for motivation only when they are a size or two smaller. If its much smaller then that, I throw it. I dont want to get depressed.
    :frown:
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Most of my clothes! I went from a UK 8-10 to a 12-14. I'm not throwing them out though as I'm determined to get back into them! (I'm only 5'2" so although not that big a size, it's nearly all on my belly and shows badly because I'm short).
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Over the years I have bought clothing in the sales in smaller sizes or too big a size!
    It's a false economy, they go out of fashion or they don't fit when I have lost weight.
    My body shape changed so I ended up bagging up clothes with the price tags on for the charity shops.

Waste of money they only thing I would really want in smaller sizes is jeans or trousers for work.
    They are a better gauge of my body shape changes.
    You'd be better having a piggy bank or actual bank account called "new clothes fund" with a shopping spurge when you get to your target size.

You could add money to it as you reach certain goals or NSv's .

My main problem is over purchasing in the sales now I can get smaller clothes lol!

Good luck with your journey :flowerforyou:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'll buy something if I try it on and it's a bit tight. Bt not anything really small.
  • i have 3 pairs of size 10 jeans and 3 pairs of size 8 jeans. I bought them on sale knowing they were too small. but I know one day they will fit. the 10s I have been trying them on once a week and every week they get higher and higher up to my hips lol. before they wouldnt go past my calf. now they are so close to my hips. i think 10 more lbs and they will fit.
  • AshlynnKai
    AshlynnKai Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Personally I haven't bought anything too small for me, but I do have two shorts that my friends got me a few years ago that are a size 8. I'm fighting to get small enough into them, but right now my 12 jeans are a little too big so I still have work:). Although I'm tempted to buy this dress that I love in a size 9, but I'm waiting. Self control!