Gluten Free, Soy Free, meat recipes?

Options
Hi All! I'm gluten and soy free (strict) and allergic to all shellfish. I also really don't love the taste of meat. My doctor told me I need to eat more fish and beef, and I honestly have no idea how to prepare them, since I basically only eat baked chicken breast! I'm a college student on a limited budget, and I'm not sure what to do with beef other than spaghetti, which I don't particularly like. Having food allergies and being picky isn't a good combination. I'd love any ideas or advice :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    throw a nice steak on the grill...or burger. you can do the same with dense fish like tuna, salmon, mahi mahi, tilapia, etc. otherwise steam, roast, or sautee lighter fish.
  • eclowenberg
    eclowenberg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I honestly never had any idea what to do with fish :D
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Beef roast is really the easiest thing to cook. I was totally intimidated by roasts at first, but found some instructions right on the packaging. The Internet isalso a great place to get detailed instructions including videos of how to cook things. Just type "how to cook beef roast" or whatever it is you want to make.
  • Sorie44
    Sorie44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Most white fish taste good baked in the oven. You can buy it frozen in individually wrap portions (like chicken breast) and thaw them one at a time as needed in warm water in the sink. This takes about 5 to 10 minutes to thaw like that.

Preheat your oven to 350 (you can do this in a toaster oven too)
    Drizzle some oil or butter over the fish
    Sprinkle with some garlic powder or onion powder, and a little salt and pepper.
    Put enough water in the dish to come up about half way on the piece of fish (white wine is better than water, but water works fine)
    Then bake for about 5 minutes on each side. You want the fish become white and opaque. Try not to over cook, but it takes practice.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i personally love tuna in a can in olive oil. throw it on a salad with tons of vinegar. yumm. if you dont mind mercury, eat it once in a while as a freebie, no cooking .
    i usually cook my fish with a pat of butter, a slice of lemon, salt and pepper, all wrapped up in tinfoil. works for any fish, make it fancy by adding different herbs

fel free to add me, ive been GF for decade and was first diagnosed in college, just like you :)
  • eclowenberg
    eclowenberg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You can get packs of frozen talapia from Aldis if you have one around you. And it's cheap. Bake it with some garlic and lemon and it's AMAZING.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Some thoughts:

Chicken Curry (can also be made with salmon, lamb, turkey etc)

chicken- diced
    onions- finely chopped
    garlic- finely chopped
    ginger-
    curry paste/powder (or make your own with any combination of cumin, chilli, cinnamon, coriander, tumeric, fenugreek)
    tinned tomatoes or coconut milk
    oil

1. Heat oil, add onions, fry til translucent
    2. Add garlic and ginger, fry until they are aromatic
    3. Add spices, fry until they are aromatic.
    4. Tranfer mix to a bowl. Fry meat until lightly browned. Return onion/spice mix to pan.
    5. Add tomatoes or coconut milk. Simmer until meat is cooked though. Serve with rice
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Beef is great because it doesn't even require seasoning, though you could sprinkle some garlic powder on for added flavor. The method of cooking varies by the cut. Steaks are fine just broiled in the oven or grilled. The cheaper cuts, like beef chuck, tend to be lower fat but tougher, and they tend to be really good for stews and pot roasts (you can find recipes online).

Salmon is a very versatile fish. I like topping salmon fillet with panko crumbs and lemon zest and just baking it. You can also just do garlic and butter on top.

I plead guilty to frying white fishes, like sole. However, if you get some sea bass, it's really great just fried on each side in a lightly greased fry pan at high heat.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • skinnywellfed
    skinnywellfed Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Here's a blog that it gluten free, soy free, and meat free:
    http://glutenfreesoyfreevegan.wordpress.com/