i want to start running?!

Options
im started to get interested in running, as a super noob any suggestions to what to start with :)

what kind of plans i can follow, i have googled some but i would love to hear some personal experience from people went through it

thanks

Replies

• repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    Options
    find somewhere to run thats appealing to you. dont just run on a track or on the same route all the time. start slow or ull snap ure **** up
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, try c25k. Lots of folks have found it to be very helpful.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Put one foot in front of the other. Repeat.
  • Gabbee140
    Gabbee140 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, download the Couch to 10K app...or you can find similar programs online.

The best advice is ease into it! It's real easy to push yourself and then you are wrecked for weeks or worse.

Good luck :smile:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    couch 2 5 k. I loved it... and hated it.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Couch to 5K is an excellent start. It got me started on running, and I had been recommended it by friends.

I recently made a switch to minimalist running. I recommend that you investigate...
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Find a trail, grab some tunes, and get after it!

The best runs I've been on are never planned, just days where I want to get out and go. If you don't have that get out and go feeling you can do 2 things: 1) find a plan, like C25K, pick a race and get to training, sometimes you just need a little structure to get going or 2) find something else that you do have that "get out and go" feeling about, too often I think people force themselves into thinking they enjoy running or that to be in shape you have to be able to run far and/or fast which just isn't the case. If you do, well great! Its cheap and fun and races are a blast. If you don't, well that's great too! Find something you love and do that.

Happy running!

ETA: Look up halhigdon.com, love his site especially because he encourages runners to strength train in all of his training programs. Also, don't be discouraged if you have to walk. Run/walk intervals can be very useful in training and even some of the best long distance runners use them as a training tool.
  • howieholvick
    howieholvick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My wife got me started running again. I'm 59 and started running in Oct. I run everyday with my 10 year old pitbull mutt. I've lost 35 Lbs so far. I walk at breaks at work and run at home behind the school near me. I change my route slightly everyday. I recently got a Nike GPS watch and now track time distance and rate every run. Hope this gives you motivation.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    now im so motivated, thank you guys for the advices, im searching into c25k now and when i find it i will ask more questions :happy:

im planning to go for weight lifting and running so this will be interesting to my body
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Rabbits jump & they live for 8 years. Dogs run & they live for 15 years. Turtles don't do anything & they live for 150 years. LESSON LEARNED.

But honestly, just get out there and do it. Why wait trying to find a program or an app to help you get started? Get out and run Forrest, run!
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    Find a trail, grab some tunes, and get after it!

The best runs I've been on are never planned, just days where I want to get out and go. If you don't have that get out and go feeling you can do 2 things: 1) find a plan, like C25K, pick a race and get to training, sometimes you just need a little structure to get going or 2) find something else that you do have that "get out and go" feeling about, too often I think people force themselves into thinking they enjoy running or that to be in shape you have to be able to run far and/or fast which just isn't the case. If you do, well great! Its cheap and fun and races are a blast. If you don't, well that's great too! Find something you love and do that.

Happy running!

ETA: Look up halhigdon.com, love his site especially because he encourages runners to strength train in all of his training programs. Also, don't be discouraged if you have to walk. Run/walk intervals can be very useful in training and even some of the best long distance runners use them as a training tool.

thanks the website is pretty good halhigdon.com i loved it , i need to research more now :)
  • maxell91
    Options
    I've never looked at a plan or anything, but I've been jogging for a couple months now. Some tips: Use or get comfortable and supportive shoes. Try to jog or run at least five days a week so it becomes a habit. Push yourself, if you're not really sweaty by the end you didn't do it right. Lastly try to go a little further every week. If you start at like 2 km then the following week do like 2.25 km.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I loved c25k. The only thing that didnt work for me was the 9-week timeline. I gave myself permission to take it very slow. Started Aug 8th, ran my first 5k on Dec 1st. I started at over 300 lbs, if I can do it so can you.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The c25k plan worked great for me. Last year at this time I was not a runner, always hated it. In January of this year, something clicked in my brain and I decided I wanted to give it a shot - I guess I wanted a challenge. Read the overview online, downloaded the c25kFREE app by ZenLabs and off I went.

Almost a year and 330 miles later, I am still running three days a week and enjoying it.

Get good shoes, fitted at a good running store if you have access to one, or at least a fairly new pair of a shoe that has always fit you well.

Go slow, stick to the program, going as slowly as necessary to complete each day's run. Slow running is still running!

Don't worry about distance or speed - those will come later, just complete the time each day.

Find a local 5k race that's happening after you'll be through the 9 weeks of the program - it's a great motivator and reward for finishing c25k! Have fun!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I've never looked at a plan or anything, but I've been jogging for a couple months now. Some tips: Use or get comfortable and supportive shoes. Try to jog or run at least five days a week so it becomes a habit. Push yourself, if you're not really sweaty by the end you didn't do it right. Lastly try to go a little further every week. If you start at like 2 km then the following week do like 2.25 km.

I agree with the shoes. Most running stores will do a free fitting.

5 times a week is a bit much as a new runner... especially if he is ADDING running to an existing weightlifting routine. I would say 2-3 times per week would be a start and try to give yourself a full rest day each week. Running on top of lifting if too intense can be counterproductive and you'll just be spinning your wheels.

A good goal is to increase mileage or time by 10% each week. Sometimes it is hard to gauge intensity while you are running on anything other than a treadmill so how far you go or how long you go are easy ways to know you are putting more work in.
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started by just going out and jogging as far as i could. I did a KM or so.

Without a structured program i started with this approach:

First week
    1 - Run for 3mins, walk 2 mins (repeat 6 times). do this every second day for a week

The next week
    2 - Run 3 mins, walk 1 min (repeat 6 times).

Subsequent weeks keep adding more time eg run 5 mins, walk 1 min.

I find runs of around 30 mins are a good place to start. Now i enjoy 2 hr runs and ive been racing lately.

The trick is to just start somewhere - and be consistent!

I recently found an app that i love to mix up training 'Zombies! Run!' its great fun...
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Yeah just do it! If you get the c25k ap and worry that it may be hard, just repeat the easy runs. For example you could do week one day one four times then go on to week one day two. Also, if you are finding a run difficult, for whatever reason, shuffle run! thats right drag your feet! it still counts. I recommend doing something three times a week.

I run a ten km every April. I'll be doing the 5 km resolution run on jan 1st. Then I'll start training with beginners for the 10 k in Jan. this will be super easy for me but I'll still benefit. all that matters is that I'm out there doing something and positively encouraging new runners to enjoy themselves while running.

It's really fun, you should try:)
  • Emily3456
    Emily3456 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have tried many times and never succeeded at running until I used this beginner running plan: http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/8-week-beginners-program?page=single

I highly recommend it... Over about 4 months I have worked myself up to 5 miles!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    S T R E T C H.

Read up on planter fasciitis and do the recommended stretching. Trust me
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Put one foot in front of the other. Repeat.

^This. Its running. Its fun for a reason. Its simple. Don't make it complicated.