Losing fat, gaining muscle - weight constant

Options
Over the last two months, my weight has stayed the same. However, I have definitely lost fat and my strength has increased. Using the information from entering what I eat, I have found a ratio of carbs/fat/protein that works for me. In the past, when losing fat I have always lost strength. This is the first time I was able to lose fat/increase muscle at the same time. I hope to keep this up until I am below 10% body fat. Anyone out there able to keep their weight constant as they lose the fat, and to what fat % were you able to reach before you started losing muscle mass? I started out at 19% fat, now at about 15%.

Replies

• DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Bulk/Cut cycle :flowerforyou:
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    buummp!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you're eating at maintenance based on your bodyweight staying the same.

When I first started, I recomped for 3-4 months and went from roughly 20% to about 16-17% give or take.

Generally speaking I think cutting/bulking is a bit more efficient but in some cases (skinny-fatters like myself) recompling makes sense.

As you get leaner I would expect the process to slow down for you. Getting all the way to 10% without doing a straight cut seems like it would be quite difficult.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yea- wishful thinking. I have been lifting for 30 years. Each time I cut fat, lost muscle too. This is the first time I actually gained muscle while cutting fat.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yea- wishful thinking. I have been lifting for 30 years. Each time I cut fat, lost muscle too. This is the first time I actually gained muscle while cutting fat.

Are you coming off of an extended lifting break? How large of a deficit were you creating?
  • patentguru
    Options
    Yes- I was forced to take 8 weeks off of heavy lifting from a hernia operation. Worst 8 weeks of my life. I like to lift heavy-low reps. I was always on the thin side. I also do a little of cardio-run 6 miles three days a week. This is the first time cutting in which i am micromanaging my food, energy, strength, and fat loss. If strength goes down, eat more. The short answer is I am eating low glycemic carbs in the morning, higher glycemic carbs immediatey before cardio or lifting, and reduced carbs afternoon. Also keeping total carbs to about 120 grams or less. I found when I get over 120 carbs I get hunge pains, feel weak, and muscles feel spongy. On lower carbs, higher fat and protein- I feel strong, energetic, and muscles feel like steel. I also found I feel better with the saturated fats best- whole milk, steak, and bacon, than the vetable oils. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Same situation for me too.. but i eat 20% below my tdee + cardio and resistence
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    I'm looking to achieve a similar goal now that I have lost the weight I wanted to. I haven't totally committed to change the eating habits so that it's heavy protein. I would love to reduce my current 23% to about 15 %. Good luck to you
  • patentguru
    Options
    Same situation for me too.. but i eat 20% below my tdee + cardio and resistence

I try to get to 20% below my tdee as well. But most of the time I am probably closer to 10% below. How much fat (sorry about the bluntness) are you trying to shed? Women can get ripped at about 12% body fat- guys need closer to 8%.
  • patentguru
    Options
    I'm looking to achieve a similar goal now that I have lost the weight I wanted to. I haven't totally committed to change the eating habits so that it's heavy protein. I would love to reduce my current 23% to about 15 %. Good luck to you

Hi- don't need heavy protein- just right type of protein at the right time. After a heavy workout- where the muscles fibers are torn due to taking them past failure-is when you need the complete protein profile in your bloodstream. At about 1 hour before lifting heavy- eat whey protein (no sugar)- avoid spiking your insulin at this time. You can eat moderate glycemic sugar during lifting-i.e. when walking into the gym eat an apple or banana (fructose). Immediately after the lifting- eat more whey and spike the insulin with high glycemic sugar (maltodextrine, dextrose, etc). You will see muscle size and strength increases. This is an oversimplification. It will take a long time of experimentation for you to learn how your body responds to different foods, timing of the foods, exercises, etc. It is a lifelong challenge that I find very enjoyable. My lifting comes first before job. When I book travel, the first thing I look for is where is the gym and when is it open.
  • wjimenez10869
    Options

Hi- don't need heavy protein- just right type of protein at the right time. After a heavy workout- where the muscles fibers are torn due to taking them past failure-is when you need the complete protein profile in your bloodstream. At about 1 hour before lifting heavy- eat whey protein (no sugar)- avoid spiking your insulin at this time. You can eat moderate glycemic sugar during lifting-i.e. when walking into the gym eat an apple or banana (fructose). Immediately after the lifting- eat more whey and spike the insulin with high glycemic sugar (maltodextrine, dextrose, etc). You will see muscle size and strength increases. This is an oversimplification. It will take a long time of experimentation for you to learn how your body responds to different foods, timing of the foods, exercises, etc. It is a lifelong challenge that I find very enjoyable. My lifting comes first before job. When I book travel, the first thing I look for is where is the gym and when is it open.
    Thanks for the information. I'm sure I will be referencing this again in the future. I been very complacent the last few weeks and hoping to rebound after the new year.