New and need to loose a lot

Options
mdouhan
mdouhan Posts: 22 Member
Hey

Just got doctors clearance to start working out again after a few years absence due to sports injury, motivation is hard to come by these days and I have gotten really fat during the time I could not work out.

So time to draw a line in the sand and get going, need to loose around 130 lbs so it wont be easy.

Just started swimming to get my body into a habit of working out again.

SInce I am by far NOT ready for tough cardio yet, what do you suggest to complement the swimming?

Weight lifting, cycling, tread mill, I am not sure but I feel I want complement a little in order to avoid a too uniform workout situation.

rgds

M

Replies

• Thundr1984
    Options
    I joined the gym after chemo and a bone marrow transplant and I started really slow on the treadmill. Everytime I went, I upped the amount of time per session, even if it was just a minute or two. Its cardio, but I took it slow and soon I was able to do so much more! All the best of luck!
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Walking is a good start. You can start at a slow pace and increase as you tolerate. I walk all the time...belly fat going away. This site is awesome to help keep track of everything and get some awesome support. Good luck to you. Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • erinsolesky
    erinsolesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good job with getting moving!! I would HIGHLY recommend gentle yoga. I think it would complement any exercise program. Fast paced walking will also start you out with a little cardio and you can build your way up on the intensity scale. Best of luck to you!!!
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    When I started, my wife and I both had a hard time with any exercise that was on our feet. For me the problem was in my feet, and for my wife the problem was in her hips.

When I made the vow (New Years Resolution) to lose weight, I realized I had to think outside the box for exercise. I finally decided upon an exercise bike. It was my only exercise for the first couple months. I started losing weight and my wife strengthened the muscles supporting her hip. Near the end of February, my wife and I started walking. The problem with my feet and the problem with my wifes hips are now managable, because of the bike. In fact, we have been able to up the ante and we are adding in some jogging during our walks.

I would suggest that anything you feel comfortable with will be a good exercise to use in addition to the pool. I am assuming you are exercising at a fitness center (since you have the pool availability). In that case, I would use it all. Just make a plan that you will do the swimming plus something else, and then pick the machine that you are in the mood for.
  • hollymires
    hollymires Posts: 117
    Options
    glad to hear you are on your way to your weight loss goal! You can do it! I have mainly just walked for my exercise...although many things count...even vacuuming!! Look through the exercise list and find things that spark your interest at that moment. :smile: