Dont buy the cheap kind!

Options

Replies

• Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    LOL i just made a walmart brand easy mac! youre right, they arent as good. but oh well haha

Salt and pepper! wahhlahhh! & pour out the water..mix with milk.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I JUST had this conversation with my mom! How funny. :bigsmile:

** Trash bags: I cheaped out when my husband and I first got married and set up house, and they were so weak that I had to double and triple up just so the bags didn't break when I picked them up!

** Dish soap: no-name brand dish soap just doesn't last. Every two dishes I have to re-soap the sponge.

** Saran wrap: I had no idea that plastic wrap was NOT supposed to infuriatingly stick to itself! Then one day I bought actual Saran-brand plastic wrap, and couldn't believe how cooperative it was!

** Blenders. My wonderful husband got me a Vitamix for Christmas (YAY!), and my crappy old cheapy blender just melted into a shameful little puddle in the shadow of the vastly superior machine.

Trash bags MUST be Glad or Hefty and not scented.
    Dish soap MUST be Dawn or Palmolive.
    Saran wrap...yes! Some brands are stinky, too.

I didn't buy Ziploc bags for years...actually prefer generic or Hefty...Ziplocs (at least used to) have an odor that transferred to food. I called the company and they said it was because they didn't sit long enough in the warehouse. I have found Ziplocs that don't stink recently. And, yes, I smell any brand before buying them.

Oreo cookies! My mom would buy Hydrox and they were not even close.
    Used to only buy Skippy but now can buy even the generic stuff.
    Toilet paper! Used to only buy Charmin...now Charmin or Northern.
    Paper towels....Bounty or Kleenex brand in the dispenser box.
    Tissues when I have a cold must be Kleenex or Puffs with lotion...though I did find a store brand that I liked.
    Shampoo...Kenra.
    Hand sanitizer...Purell or Target brand.
    Pop...typically Pepsi products.
    Tape...Scotch.
    Duct Tape not Duck Tape (because it's a stupid name)
  • CarlieeBear
    Options
    Chocolate
    I don't mind off brand mac 'n cheese
    I only like generic (unfrosted) pop tarts.
  • CarlieeBear
    Options
    Diapers.:grumble:

I've heard this can vary from child to child. When I worked in childcare, I liked the Target brand best.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Might be TMI, but pads and tampons. Those store brand tampons are cruel and unusual.

I agree!! I don't want my va J to hurt with those cardboard things omggggg hurts!!

Right here for me! Completely agree!
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Toilet paper. I do not wish to wipe my *kitten* with sand paper.

hate when restaurants have cheap toilet paper. if I know they do, ill take their cloth napkins with me.

:noway:
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Might be TMI, but pads and tampons. Those store brand tampons are cruel and unusual.

Oh yeah. Tampons especially! I had to buy one from a machine in the ladies room at the Y and it was awful. Uncivilized. Apparently there have been no advancements in those machine products since those machines were made. It looked like something from pioneer times. The cardboard applicator was rough and the tampon itself might as well have been made from attic insulation and twine. If scratchy = absorbent then I was in luck! I'm telling you, it was barbaric. And I couldn't enjoy yoga wondering if I would have an embarrassing mishap while my @$$ was in the air. Which I didn't, thank God, but it was mighty uncomfortable. Never again will I be caught by surprise without a tampon.
  • LeRevCooper
    Options
    Booze
  • suiteblooms
    Options
    I can't get through a work out without a 5 hour Energy... other must haves include st ives hand lotion, goody hair elastics, PACKAGING TAPE! - Most frustraiting 6 months of my life till that roll was gone.
  • d4ley1
    d4ley1 Posts: 73
    Options
    they have there own appeal
  • d4ley1
    d4ley1 Posts: 73
    Options
    aftershave!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Booze

No doubt...and, since I can't get, won't get, don't get insurance...we never go cheap on all food, preventive maintenance...but TP..come on...:drinker:
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm only brand specific on a few things but I'm store generic specific on a few things as well. I just like what works better for me and is what I feel a good price for the product it delivers.

Ketchup must be Heinz
    Tissues must be Kleenex Cool Touch
    Chapstick must be Chapstick Original (I don't like flavored chapstick)
    Chocolate Chips must be Guittard Milk Chocolate Chips (got to start with good chocolate!)
    Reynolds Foil (and not the Dollar Store one either, I feel like that one is thinner & tears easily)
    Laundry Detergent must be All or Gain
    Mayo must be Best Foods
    Dish soap must be Dawn (It just works the best and is a great stain remover too)

I actually prefer the store generic of:
    Target brand Q-Tips over Q-Tip brand.
    Raley's store brand toilet paper (2ply of course!)
    Target Up & Up Makeup Remover Clothes
    Target Market Pantry Shredded Cheese tastes better to me than Kraft or Sargento
    Cosco Kirkland brand trash bags are fantastic
  • furrina
    Options
    I told my BF once that if he didn't stop buying cheap Scott TP that was like waxed paper I was going to start using his socks.

Also: Plastic wrap, dish soap, razors (even the brand disposable ones are lousy), basically any paper product. Definitely booze, drink top shelf and you'll never get another hangover. Rule of thumb from college days when we bought gallons of Popov for drunks at our parties: if the bottle bounces don't drink it.

The non applicator tampons (OB etc.) solve the whole problem of plastic not being eco-friendly and cardboard being nasty. Most countries dont even have ones with applicators. Discovered this when living abroad (UK ladies, is this still the case?), thought it was weird at first but it makes sense. Have to say though that the plastic ones are more convenient, esp. after showering.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Deodorant - good stuff is expensive but the cheap stuff smells like cheap soap spray!

Socks - if I buy the $1 socks, I put holes in them within a week.

Coffee - It has to be international roast for me & hubs.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Deodorant - good stuff is expensive but the cheap stuff smells like cheap soap spray!

Socks - if I buy the $1 socks, I put holes in them within a week.

Coffee - It has to be international roast for me & hubs.
    I disagree...arrid is cheap and it works the best for me!
  • furrina
    Options
    I'm a total coffee snob but Whole Foods 365 brand Pleasant Morning Buzz is my favorite bean ever and the price is way lower than a lot of other beans. Actually not sure if it counts as generic but as far as food the WF store brand is pretty great across the board and cheaper than or the same as most name brands in some cases.
  • Mara_
    Mara_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Shower stuff must be Lush
    Ketchup must be Heinz
    Mayonaise must be Remia, although I sometimes bring mayo from Germany, which tastes real different
    Crisps must be Lays
    Tea must be Pickwick
    Skin care must be Lush or Nivea
    Vodka must be Russian Standard
    Telephone/Computer must be Apple

And I have some stuff I don't care what brand I buy
    Salt
    Sugar
    Sprinkles

And some stuff I prefer to buy the store's brand, or other generatic.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :noway: Home brand pet food .... never tried it and never will . :wink:
    Our pets need good nutrition ...Always !
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Bras (cheap ones fall apart too soon)
    Kitchen equipment
    Green tea
    Bread
    Razors
    Wine
    Lip balm
    Face wash, face cream and make up remover
    Laundry detergent (cheap destroys your clothes)