sticky topic... :OS

Options
Hi guys

I have had IBS for the last 15 odd yrs.. and was recently formally diagnosed with that and a wheat allergy, which i take meds for.

My intollerance has been under control the last 6mths and my symptoms have been minimal but since i have begun eating properly, and not snacking on junk my stomach has been all over the place, and my bowels have been going haywire :O( and my regular has become super regular lol

Is this normal when your diet changes dramaticallly?

L&L
nikki

Replies

• sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Yep - it's normal. It takes your body a while to figure out how to process the healthier food you're giving it. I've been at it since February... my body is beginning to adjust... but still has occasional rebellions against certain foods!
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    I am no expert, but my opinion would be yes, this is fairly normal. Unless it persists for a long amount of time I wouldn't worry about it too much. Any major change in diet is going to affect your body. Give it a week or so and see how it is. If it continues, you may want to at least call and ask your Dr about it.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    yes that is normal, it should get better! I have IBS also and when I ate bad it was horrible....but I have been eating healthy for a couple of years and it has calmed way down. Once your body gets used to the change in eating it should get on the right track! A few weeks ago when we were on vacation during spring break, I didnt eat the greatest cause it was eating out pretty much all week, and my stomach was all messed up from it. It was HORRIBLE and I don't want to ever go back to that!
    Good luck to you!
  • ktmunchie
    ktmunchie Posts: 35
    Options
    I also have IBS, no wheat allergy though. When I first changed my diet this happened to me, but it didn't take long for it to go away. After it did I felt SO much better. I have very few symptoms of IBS now that I am eating healthy and now when I do eat something gressy or fatty I get sick.

If it doesn't go away soon I would check in with your doctor, or check to see if there is something that you are now eating or eating a lot more of that might be upsetting you tummy, dairy can do that to some. HTH

Good Luck!!
  • hollymires
    hollymires Posts: 117
    Options
    I don't have IBS...but my stomach goes crazy everytime I get back on track again...it should calm down soon I would think though. :ohwell:
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    I don't have the same health issues to deal with, but I did notice some changes initially after not eating as much junk and adding more fiber to my diet -- things went back to normal after a couple weeks, though. I wouldn't be concerned unless your problems persist after a few weeks.
  • missyt78
    missyt78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys.. for the uber quick responses :O)

I did think it may be the shift in my diet.. and my body getting used to processing "cleaner" foods .. rather than junk food :O)

Glad its part of the process... and a small price to pay :O)
    Thanks again :O)
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    I have been suffering from IBS for about the same amount of time, and it really sucks doesnt it? I was recently diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity (not an allergy but bahhh) and a dairy allergy, so I have been tweaking my diet around, trying to find things that work for me, and once I cut out the junk and started eating better, I had more flare up then ever. But it did calm down after a couple weeks, but will still really bug me if I a) eat junk again, b) dont drink enough water (water is an IBS sufferers bedt friend as I am sure that you know) or c)I introduce a new food into my diet, in which case it settles down in a week or so.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you..most people's stomachs rumble when they're hungry, mine rumbles for hours after I eat anything. I'm just hoping it will adjust over time. Anyway I'm getting more exercise because I sit a full quarter mile from the bathrooms at work :laugh:
  • vjh431
    vjh431 Posts: 38
    Options
    Yeah that's definitely the norm. It will take time for your body to adjust (about 3 weeks).