Gaining weight !

Options
Hi there,
I am so disappointed ! I am actually gaining weight . I don't know how this is happening. I am following a 1200 calorie a day diet and burning 500+ calories a day with exercise. . I never eat my exercise calories. I am working out with the 30 Day Shred and I am walking 5k at least 5 times a week. How is this happening? I am getting discouraged ! :(

Replies

• gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I try to eat half of my exercise calories if i can. If you eat 1200 calories and burn 500 calories total calories you are eating 700 calories. Your body thinks you are starving. Your metabolism slows down a lot. Try to eat more healthy food also take your measurements. I have been stuck at the same weight for about 3 weeks but my clothes are looser. Good luck keep it up It just take time for change.:smile:

Gina
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    This post is in the General Weight Loss section for new members to read, Banks took the time to put it all together and it really explains a lot -- read through it, the links will explain why you arent losing - you arent eting enough (easy answer).

Wow, look at all the new faces! Welcome all of you guys that have joined up in the last few days and weeks. I guess it really is true what they say about new diets starting in the spring (although we don't call it dieting, we call it a lifestyle change)

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I don't mean Newbie in the derrogatory sense, we are delighted that you have decided that MFP is a good place to start your journey (or continue it!). Over the past 6 or 8 months some of us have put out some great, informative posts that have helped many on MFP. I hope you will take a few minutes and read them, they can be very informative and may head off some questions you ask before you ask em.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

regards,
    Banks
  • MyKidzMom
    MyKidzMom Posts: 97
    Options
    Don't feel bad. The day after Easter I weighed myself and had lost 7 pounds from my last weigh in....weighed yesterday and had gained 5 of it back.....and I have been killing myself uphill on the treadmill 3 times a day and I never eat all of my calories.
  • ritadani
    ritadani Posts: 6
    Options
    I think you might be eating too little. 1200 is the minimum you should be eating, and that is usually if you don't exercize. if you are only eating that and having 500+ calories burned by exercise, your body is trying to get nutrients and fat from every food you eat and don't burn, so it keeps its strength. you probably should eat your exercise calories, because you need them.
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    You need to eat your exercise calories! If you are on a 1200 calorie diet and burning 500 calories through exercise...that means your body is only getting 700 calories of nutrition a day! Talk about a body going into starvation mode! This very subject has been talked about numerous times on the boards.

This guy puts it together very nicely...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Hope it helps!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    i agree, you gotta eat atleast some of your exercise calories back. When I did that it started working for me better! make them good calories tho!
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Wow...while I was posting...someone above had the same idea! That Banks guy does help a lot!
  • hollymires
    hollymires Posts: 117
    Options
    even though it doesn't seem to make sense...eat your calories...I always do so much better and lose so much faster when I do that!
  • mesa4
    mesa4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im pretty new at this, with only 14# lost since the middle of Feb but I have already struggled with a plateau. ( I didnt even believe in those until now.) I think the others are right when they say that you cant cut back too much or your body goes into shock. You are already on a low calorie restriction and then adding in alot of exercise. Most have said to eat your exercise calories. Have you measured? Maybe you have gained some muscle and lost in inches. Maybe you should let up a little and see what happens. You know, even Weight Watchers cut back points as you go. Maybe you have cut back to much.
  • Newfunlander
    Newfunlander Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I already suspected that my caloric intake was too low. It just doesn't seem to make sense that I should add 500 calories to lose weight. I am certainly going to do my best in increase what I am eating...good calories, of course. I am off to read the posts by Banks. Thanks everyone for your posts. Fingers crossed that my scales start showing me some love soon !...lol.
  • MyKidzMom
    MyKidzMom Posts: 97
    Options
    Even of I were to eat all of my exercise calories, that would put me over on my proteins or carbs or fats......UGH!
  • dan15
    dan15 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you eat your exercise calories, you will probably also feel more energised and get more from your workouts! :)
  • leannadkins77
    leannadkins77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Let us know if you start to lose weight when you eat more calories. I am at a loss myself because my weight has kind of been yo-yoing. I eat 1200 calories a day except when i go over but i usually don't go over more than 200 calories whick i would think would still be enough of a deficit to lose. i would think that would keep me out of starvation mode too...idk. anyway just curious if you have started to lose yet...
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou: Any updates?