Over eating (in Gen. Diet & weight. and food & nutrition)

Options
Didn't really know which to put this in, so I'm putting it in both. I think that's my biggest problem is I over eat. Not just because I work graveyard and keep weird hours, but in general. Yesterday, I think I had a pretty good day. remembered to log what I could, the rest is usually at work and I don't have access to phone or internet.

I know the main thing I have to do to lose weight. eat healthy, portions, and exercise. I drink at least 9-12 16oz bottles of water a day, staying away from soda, but I can't stop eating. right now all I want to do is sit in the kitchen and stuff my face. don't care with what. water isn't filling me up, and if it is, it's not making the impression. What I mean is, even if I feel full, I still want to eat. haven't had this issue until recently. I don't know if its stress related, and there is a lot of stress going on now. I can't see a doctor cause I don't have insurance and cant afford out of pocket, especially if I get laid off this week.

there's some info on my situation. my question is how do I stop over eating? I really don't know what to do. Should I pad lock my fridge? Even while typing this, i'm thinking about the caramel flavored rice cakes in my pantry. Please help!!!!

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Firstly start tracking every mouthful as you eat, not at the end of the day - use pen and paper don't make excuses! Your diary is locked so cannot see what you are eating. Are you consuming plenty of foods that help with stress management - rich in long chain omega-3s, minerals especially magnesium and zinc, vitamins especially B complex and D, low GI carbs combined with protein and fat to stabilise your blood sugar and so on? Are you walking at least 10,000 steps daily plus intense exercise for twenty to thirty minutes three times a week? Do you smoke or drink much alcohol or caffeine? How are your sleep patterns/ are you practising sleep hygiene and relaxation techniques? Should be able to find free podcasts online if you have a smartphone.

To fill yourself up it's not that different to an anti stress diet: protein and healthy fats at every meal and snack starting with breakfast, plenty of fibre rich wholefoods (nine servings of fruits and veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils), modest portions of the lowest GI carbs only? Rice cakes are rubbish: they are low in nutrients, processed and high glycaemic index so behave much the same as sugar in the body. Get rid of anything that is white refined/ processed/ junky/ sugary, they can all trigger cravings and put the body into a state of stress. Don't keep foods in your house or kitchen that are not working towards your health and weight loss goals in the house. If you are getting foods elsewhere don't carry cash you don't absolutely NEED, don't even go near corner stores or vending machines, drive or walk a different route so you are not triggered.
  • denisemroth
    denisemroth Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi!

A couple of hints you may find helpful:

1. Don't keep foods in your house that will tempt you to over eat.

2. Make sure you track EVERYTHING. I find this very helpful during times of temptation. For example, I will add into the daily journal what I want to eat and see what the calorie in take is. If I know it's going to put me over the limit for the day, I will remove it and not eat it.

3. There are a ton of self help books on this subject, many at the library. Feeding the Hungry Heart is good - it talks about why people overeat.

4. Stay busy. Boredom is overeating's best friend!

Good luck! :wink:
    Denise
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Is it worse since you started keeping track of what you eat or has it been this way for a while? Maybe feeling deprived could be part of the problem, you know, the "wanting something you can't have" kind of thing?

Definitely agree with the above posts though. Don't keep any junk food in the house. No chips, candy soda, store bought frozen dinners, etc. If you need food in a hurry when you get home from work, you could try making meals on the weekends and making your own "frozen dinners."
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, it has to be your decision not to eat. It does get easier though, the more you resist the temptation to eat when you don't have the calories to spare.

I second making your log accurate. Get a small notebook and keep track at work. Then when you get home log everything. If you're unsure about portion sizes and can't measure, there are a lot of graphics available that will show you what a serving of different foods should look like (a serving of meat is the size of a deck of cards, etc).

Make sure you're getting enough calories and nutrients. If your goal is 1200 that might not be enough for you. Many people find it unsustainable. Think about adding more fat to your diet-- I find that it's very sating and I don't want anything else after I've had something with fat. I can't see your macros so I don't know if you're already getting enough protein and fat, but if you open your diary we can tell you.

Also revamp your grocery list. It pains me not to have chocolate in the house, but while *I* can know it's there and not eat it, my husband can't, so I just don't buy the stuff. Tell yourself that if you want to snack you can have something healthy (I like cucumbers and tomatoes because they have very few calories). Tell yourself it's that or nothing, and stick to your guns. If you're bored, take up a hobby. I'm a painter, so that helps me focus on something other than food.
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    Self control. Say no. Imagine how you will feel if you over eat.
    & just keep things in moderation.