Dont buy the cheap kind!

Options

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Alcohol...can't do bottom shelf and function the next day!
    This is true, except when it comes to vodka - I never buy premium vodka because there isn't really a difference that I've discovered between the cheap stuff and the premium stuff. Now with wine and bourbon, there is definitely a difference.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    This is true, except when it comes to vodka - I never buy premium vodka because there isn't really a difference that I've discovered between the cheap stuff and the premium stuff. Now with wine and bourbon, there is definitely a difference.

Actually, with Vodka, there is a difference in the level of impurities between the cheap and "good" stuff. The stuff that makes cheap vodka have a taste is a negative quality. Vodka should taste clean so it doesn't compete with any mixer, even if that mixer is a blue cheese stuffed olive.

I take vodka very seriously. My martinis are legendary.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options

Actually, with Vodka, there is a difference in the level of impurities between the cheap and "good" stuff. The stuff that makes cheap vodka have a taste is a negative quality. Vodka should taste clean so it doesn't compete with any mixer, even if that mixer is a blue cheese stuffed olive.

Interesting. What Vodka brand do you recommend? I avoid any flavored vodkas as they tend to overpower the drink.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Too bad they're not that legendary as a martini really has gin. Anything else is just a vodka cocktail.
  • Super_Cee
    Super_Cee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    yes!!!! i had to once use this when i was at my ex's house.. his brothers girlfriend uses the cardboard ones so i tried it for the first time.. ahhh ouch!! i was like wtf when i saw it i had no idea they made cardboard ones... lol.. but i should be grateful because people in africa dont even have tampons.. so... i guess its not so bad.. at least i had some when she offered... i mean i could have used toilet paper.. haha TMI gross..
    [/quote]

Umm...I'm in Africa and just so you know, we do have tampons. It'd be nice if you'd find out for sure before making blanket statements like that :)
    [/quote]

Nicely said!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Three things you don't buy on the cheap:

-Trash Bags
    -Hot Dogs
    -Prostitutes

Go cheap on any of these three and you will regret it.
  • Super_Cee
    Super_Cee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Forgive the mispost above: the quotes became unquoted, so doesn't make much sense :ohwell:
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This leads me to ask, what product food or otherwise do you hate the cheapo brand of? I also hate rip offs of kraft mac and cheese.
    ANYTHING off brand. I used to have the cheap tools around the house, cheap lighting fixtures, etc. Once I got over the initial price of getting the better, if not BEST, I never looked back. Have the right, best tool for the job, any job, make it easier!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Toilet paper
    Tissues
    Razors
    Feminine hygiene products
    Any kind of body wash, face wash, lotion, or soap that goes on my skin (with the exception of CVS brand hand soap). I have crazy sensitive skin, can't use just anything, sadly.
    Laundry detergent

Food stuffs don't bother me nearly as much. Pretty much the only time buying store brand food products bothers me is if it's something highly processed, i.e., if I am going to buy mac and cheese, I am going to buy the better stuff, because it always tastes better (or, as better as that stuff can get lol), but fresher stuff like milk, meat, cheese, coffee, bread, etc, I don't care, at least, not from the grocery store that I generally frequent.

Also CANNOT buy store brand, or any cheap brand cat food for my cat, as she has allergies to nearly all grains, and salmon. Have to buy grain-free food only.
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Three things you don't buy on the cheap:

-Trash Bags
    -Hot Dogs
    -Prostitutes

Go cheap on any of these three and you will regret it.

I saw you down on Forbes Ave. last Thursday! Don't tell me that one wasn't cheap!
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    So many women in this thread want quality TP. I thought women didnt poop! :noway: :laugh:

Been said a few times, but Heinz Ketsup. I dont know how off brands can be so horrible, but they just are.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My yogurt has to be Greek goods full fat plain...nothing else will do.

You can get full fat ones? I only ever see the fat free (which is what I usually get).

My vote is for toilet paper also. Except if you have a lot of company who think they need about 20 sheets of cha cha cha charmine...then cheaper is better. Especially if they take a big poop with all that thick paper.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i started buying the cheapo dishwashing detergent. since they took the phosphates out, all brands suck equally now. no point in paying $6 for a box of Cascade when the store brand does the same poor job for only $3 a box.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    :noway: Home brand pet food .... never tried it and never will . :wink:
    Our pets need good nutrition ...Always !

so true. I was giving my cats Friskies and all they did was puke. I switched to Eukenuba and now only get the occasional (totally normal) Hairball.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Pads, tampons, razors ('though I do shave with the CHEAPEST hair conditioner I can find.....cheap is the #1 criteria here. It still works wonders), lotion, body wash, trash bags, anything FMV (which I think was a generic brand that Kroger sold, one step lower than "Kroger brand", 'though it could've been a different store.....I don't think I've seen it in a while, and I'm NOT sad about that, lol), cat food ('though that's because they've had problems w/frequent urinary infections and the vet put them on Prescription Diet c/d and they've been doing great.....so I suppose that wouldn't count bc that could almost more be compared to my doctor putting me on a medication and me trying to take something completely different instead. We were doing Hill's science diet before 'though, so still good quality & name brand).

Most other stuff, I haven't found that store brand detracts from it 'though my girlfriend is SUPER picky so if she goes shopping we usually end up with mostly name brand 'though there are a few store brand things she'll buy.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Might be TMI, but pads and tampons. Those store brand tampons are cruel and unusual.

yup, i bought a no-name brand for pads once, and they ripped open while wearing them and the padding inside came out.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Most generic brands don't bother me, and some I think are better. I think the least expensive tp is fine, and actually lasts the longest. I can't see spending money on something I flush down the toilet.

I always buy the best quality tools I can afford. My great grandchildren should still be able to use them.
  • Infauna
    Options
    Toilet paper, tampons, shampoo, razors, pots and pans, headphones, shoes, icecream, yogurt..
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Might be TMI, but pads and tampons. Those store brand tampons are cruel and unusual.

Oh yeah. Tampons especially! I had to buy one from a machine in the ladies room at the Y and it was awful. Uncivilized. Apparently there have been no advancements in those machine products since those machines were made. It looked like something from pioneer times. The cardboard applicator was rough and the tampon itself might as well have been made from attic insulation and twine. If scratchy = absorbent then I was in luck! I'm telling you, it was barbaric. And I couldn't enjoy yoga wondering if I would have an embarrassing mishap while my @$$ was in the air. Which I didn't, thank God, but it was mighty uncomfortable. Never again will I be caught by surprise without a tampon.

I guess that's better than the usual state of those machines...empty. I must be lucky because I can use generic. Or maybe Target brand isn't so bad. But no cardboard applicators for me! And I only buy one brand of pads...there's a name brand that I find to be chafing.
  • suiteblooms
    Options
    Safety Pins. Nothing frustraits me more than a bobby pin that bends the first time you try to use it.