New car?

Options
junodog1
junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
If you had to buy a new car tomorrow (in Dec 2012), what would it be? Considerations:
Want very good mileage
Not expensive - cannot afford things like Lexus
Small car OK
Have loved Honda in the past
In the USA

Any suggestions. What car and what year? Would consider used.

Replies

• Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If you have loved Hondas, why not stay with them ... used civics are pretty inexpensive ...

if you're looking for domestic ... I'm pretty impressed with my wife's fusion...

I'm on my second escape (company vehicle) and it's pretty good on fuel for an SUV ... Escapes, as far as our company's experience, are VERY reliable ... we have two 2007's with over 200K miles ...still running strong ...
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a Mazda MX-5. Prices are variable, I paid £2500 used for mine many years ago. Mileage is reasonable, probably will be better once I get the filters changed. It's pretty reliable - mine is a 1990 model and doesn't break down often. Although it's been sitting in the garage for the last couple years since I can't currently afford to run it. I miss my car. Waah.

Also, the convertible top fills me with joy every day for nine months of the year. :)

It's been some years since I car-shopped. I remember liking Honda Jazzes four or five years ago. My Stepmama has one. Hmm, maybe she'll lend it to me sometime. :D
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    My husband has the 2011 malibu and I love it. I want the cruze though. I currently have a HUGE suv ( durango slt ) and it sucks as far as gas goes. I loved it when I first bought it, but now I want to go back to a fuel efficant car.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I don't typically like American cars but the new Ford Focus matches everything you listed. Honda should stick to motorcycles in my opinion.
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've loved my civic, fuel efficient and have had zero problems with it.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm about your height and i am almost touching the roof on a ford focus haha i wouldn't go with that
  • ReinaLorenz
    ReinaLorenz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    We love our 2012 Chrysler 300 ....suprisingly great gas millage,fun to drive and looks like a million bucks without spending a lot.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK so I'm not sure how much cars cost in the US. Probably less than in the UK at any rate! I've had 2 Volkswagens and really liked them. I had a convertible Beetle for a while but sold it when I was pregnant. I now have a sensible Vauxhall Zafira.

I'd probably go for a VW Golf if I were buying a new car and didn't have to take car seats, boot space etc into consideration.