Menopause

Options
I'm 38 years old but I'm in menopause because of a hysterectomy. Anyways. I can barely eat 1300-1400 calories without gaining weight. Is anyone else dealing with this. Yesterday I had my 2 cups of coffee, a BLT and for dinner I had some pork loin with cheesy potatoes and brocolli. The portions were small too. I have gained almost 50 lbs in the last year. I am going to start walking on my treadmill today and see if that helps. This is beyond frustrating.

Replies

• Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Read. Read. Read.... about the effects of menopause...... Organize your eating so that you eat protein in the morning.. It fills you up... and you are less likely to feel hungry. Eat less white bread..... Remember that the more sugar you eat, the more it turns to fat...... Do exercises early in the morning, ( according to my doctor) and do them every single day..... Stretching.... walking.... mild... not crazy..... lifting light weights for upper arm strength because once the body stops producing estrogen.. you lose muscle mass.... I have been lifting 3 pound light weights , and I improved my muscle mass. You are very young to be experiencing this, and I wish you the best. I have been reading about dividing your food plate into three sections... the largest is protein.... the next is carbs... and the last is fats...... Pull out drinking soda pop...... Drink water.... Pull out creamy soups, sauces, and dips..... Pull out one thing at a time.... but you will be grateful you will conquer this goal now instead of later.....:flowerforyou:
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I don't think menopause is the issue.

I'm 49 , eat 2200 to maintain. A modest cut from that to lose.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Can you not take HRT? You are very young and probably need it to maintain your bone strength.
    I am 51 and pre-menopausal. I turned into a slug. Gained weight, wanted to sleep all the time and my belly grew so big that, well, I really looked pregnant.
    What worked for me was walking. I started out at a pace I'd enjoy and want to do again, for only 20-30 minutes per day. After seeing results, I started to log my food, re-evaluate what I was eating, added healthier stuff and then started walking longer, faster, etc. I was able to lose 40lbs and get my life back phsyically and emotionally.
    You can do this. <hugs>
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options

No need to be rude! You exercise right? That makes a BIG difference in how many cals you can have and maintain/lose. She said she might start walking, so I'm assuming she doesn't exercise. Anyone would be obese if they ate 2200 calories and just sat around.
  • bbhe
    bbhe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Your food choices sound unhealthy and make me sort of sad to think about. Maybe spend some time eating clean? Lots of fruits and salads and veggies, whole grains, fish, chicken, a little lean red organic grassfed meat? Some fruit. It's fun to have a blt sometimes, but if you were eating cleaner, I bet you wouldn't need such small portions.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Read. Read. Read.... about the effects of menopause...... Organize your eating so that you eat protein in the morning.. It fills you up... and you are less likely to feel hungry. Eat less white bread..... Remember that the more sugar you eat, the more it turns to fat...... Do exercises early in the morning, ( according to my doctor) and do them every single day..... Stretching.... walking.... mild... not crazy..... lifting light weights for upper arm strength because once the body stops producing estrogen.. you lose muscle mass.... I have been lifting 3 pound light weights , and I improved my muscle mass. You are very young to be experiencing this, and I wish you the best. I have been reading about dividing your food plate into three sections... the largest is protein.... the next is carbs... and the last is fats...... Pull out drinking soda pop...... Drink water.... Pull out creamy soups, sauces, and dips..... Pull out one thing at a time.... but you will be grateful you will conquer this goal now instead of later.....:flowerforyou:

I did put on weight faster after menopause started (I'm still in the middle of it with looks like years to go). But I also started eating more than I had before.

HOWEVER - it's all gone now and I'm better eating habits and I'm back to where I was in my early 20's as far as weight.

Everything she said ^^^^ is true. More protein, fewer easy-to-digest carbs, drop way back on the cheese and cream, go to the no-fat milk and yoghurt. And pick the yummy foods you want to eat because they just taste good.
  • harlanJEN
    Options

No need to be rude! You exercise right? That makes a BIG difference in how many cals you can have and maintain/lose. She said she might start walking, so I'm assuming she doesn't exercise. Anyone would be obese if they ate 2200 calories and just sat around.

Rude wasn't my intent. was I blunt? YES, I was.

You are correct, which was indeed my point. nutrition and exercise is the issue, not menopause per se.

is it more challenging, are there more issues to consider ? Absolutely.

I'm passionate about eating well, not low calorie, strength training AND not letting anything stand in your way. age, menopause, joint replacement, years of yo-yo dieting, etc.

I'm usually a pretty motivational , totally upbeat .. Albeit sometimes blunt peri menopausal woman. Can we just blame it on hormones this morning : )

Jen
  • RevNS
    RevNS Posts: 27 Member
    Options

^^^^ I agree.

I too entered menopause early and I can identify with your struggle. There is a great book/web info by Dr. Lee who really opened up this topic. I have used natural progesterone instead of the HRT because it made the symptoms worse and only fooled my body into thinking it had what it needed. It also improves your bone density. Stress and cortisol can also add to the mix and exercise started slowly and carefully will begin to combat this and begin to raise your metabolism. Hang in there, you can do this. And good for you for tackling it early!
    Best wishes!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 years old but I'm in menopause because of a hysterectomy. Anyways. I can barely eat 1300-1400 calories without gaining weight. Is anyone else dealing with this. Yesterday I had my 2 cups of coffee, a BLT and for dinner I had some pork loin with cheesy potatoes and brocolli. The portions were small too. I have gained almost 50 lbs in the last year. I am going to start walking on my treadmill today and see if that helps. This is beyond frustrating.

Sorry to be harsh but I think you are fooling yourself and starving your body of nutrients which will destroy your metabolism. BLT, pork and cheese are often high in animal fat (easy for body to convert to fat), bread and potatoes are high glycaemic index (easy for body to convert to sugar). Try eating lower calorie nutrient dense foods especially nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables, carbs which keep your blood sugar stable, protein little and often (maintain muscle mass), reduced fat dairy and oily fish (calcium and omega-3s linked with reduced body fat and bone health), high intensity exercise especially strength training (maintain muscle mass) assuming you have been signed off by your doctor.

Keep treats/ junk/ processed/ sugary stuff to maximum 10% of daily calories - yesterday you had 488 calories from coffee and Hersheys alone, about 30% of your daily intake! I could add in the potatoes and at least part of the sandwich calories since they both appear to be processed foods. Look at your fibre and protein intake, both of which are massively below the minimum official recommendations, suspect your sugar intake will be well above.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 (soon to be 44) and had a hysterectomy 3.5 years ago due to complications from infertility meds. I've been in perimenopause for just about two years now -- coincidentally, the same amount of time I've been on MFP and have gotten into the best shape of my life.

IMO, menopause is just an excuse for *some* people. Yes, hormonal changes will do wacky things to your appetite and the shape of your body. Yes, as we get older we process things differently. But no one needs to be a victim of Mother Nature if they want to set a goal and have the determination to achieve it.

I eat whatever I want, as long as it fits into my macros and I get the right nutrients. I get up at 4:00AM every day to workout before heading into the office, make sure that I drink lots of water, eat smaller portions more often throughout the day, and I've been successfully maintaining for about a year now.

And yes, I still eat full-fat dairy, the occasional cheeseburger and fries, and pizza at least once a week.

Menopause may be a new "chapter" in your life, but it is by no means the end of the story.
  • eddamyts
    eddamyts Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I share your frustration. Menopause has been a bitter-sweet experience for me because I used to suffer terribly with menstrual cramps. Hot flashes are tolerable - not as severe as what other women go through, so I`m fortunate there. I`m apple-shaped and have what`s been called a `cookie sheet butt` and I swear that what little I had on my behind has now made its way to my stomach (this is the bitter part of menopause for me).

For me, the bottom line (HA! bottom line), is that my body has changed without my consent. I`ve just joined MFP for accountability, support, tools, etc., and taking action is better than taking no action at all. When you stop off that treadmill, you will know that you took a step (and then some), to take care of yourself.

You go girl!
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 (43 in two months.) I finished menopause at least five years ago. I was always very irregular, so we don't really know how old I was when I started it. I do not take HRT. I take an extra vitamin D and a calcium supplement every day. I had my physical and a bone density test a few weeks ago and my numbers are great.

I've been on MFP for maybe a year and a half. I have never been healthier. I try to work out every day. Some weeks I only get 5 or 6 days. I eat as well as I can. I try to limit bad fat, cholesterol and sodium. I eat smaller meals and have healthy snacks (fruit, fiber bar, nuts) between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and dinner. With exercise and eating smart, I usually have enough calories and macros to have a treat after dinner relaxing with my hubby.

You can do this. Make MFP and logging all your food and exercise part of your daily routine. It looks like there are quite a few of us who are young and menopausal. Do the work for your health. We'll support you.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Perimenopause caught me completely off guard. You hear jokes, stories, stereotypes...but nobody bothers to teach you about it they way you were taught about starting your period.

I started noticing changes around age 38 or 39 (which is just where my mom was too, and I'm pretty sure my grandma was too). Now I'm 44. And I can't wait to be done with it!

The weight changes were the most surprising. You entire metabolism changes. The diet and exercise habits that had kept me at a pretty steady weight for years suddenly stopped being enough. I tried to keep up with it, but I kept gaining weight. Then I got discouraged and gave up and allowed myself to slack off for a couple years. Big mistake. Now I'm getting back to better health habits. I'm eating about 1500 calories a day (down from about 1800) and working out 5 times a week (up from 3). It's making a big difference.

I understand completely. Perimenopause feels like your body is betraying you.
  • Amyirene74
    Amyirene74 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm on estrogen but it doesn't seem to be helping with the weight. I am going to try to start using my treadmill in the mornings when my daughter is at school. I think I can get my 3 year old to watch tv long enough for me to get on it. I do not get any breaks from the kids so I have to try to work around them. Everyone always suggests having my husband help but he is always working. Plus I can't get up much earlier. I am up at 6 am every day and I am lucky if I can get to bed before 10 or 11. My bipolar requires II get at least 8 hours of sleep. Its frustrating.
  • Amyirene74
    Options

Sorry to be harsh but I think you are fooling yourself and starving your body of nutrients which will destroy your metabolism. BLT, pork and cheese are often high in animal fat (easy for body to convert to fat), bread and potatoes are high glycaemic index (easy for body to convert to sugar). Try eating lower calorie nutrient dense foods especially nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables, carbs which keep your blood sugar stable, protein little and often (maintain muscle mass), reduced fat dairy and oily fish (calcium and omega-3s linked with reduced body fat and bone health), high intensity exercise especially strength training (maintain muscle mass) assuming you have been signed off by your doctor.

Keep treats/ junk/ processed/ sugary stuff to maximum 10% of daily calories - yesterday you had 488 calories from coffee and Hersheys alone, about 30% of your daily intake! I could add in the potatoes and at least part of the sandwich calories since they both appear to be processed foods. Look at your fibre and protein intake, both of which are massively below the minimum official recommendations, suspect your sugar intake will be well above.

The candy was a fluke thing. I eat candy about once every couple of months. The coffee is an every day thing though. I need it to get through the day. I have 6 kids(4 still at home with 2 under the age of 5) and I am also bipolar. I have checked my meds and they are med neutral. I was gaining before I started them anyways. I have been on Atkins in the past but its so hard to not have any carbs when you are cooking and baking for everyone. My husband likes it when I bake sweet treats. How do I get my protien up without increasing my calories? If I eat over 1400 I gain.
  • Amyirene74
    Options
    Your food choices sound unhealthy and make me sort of sad to think about. Maybe spend some time eating clean? Lots of fruits and salads and veggies, whole grains, fish, chicken, a little lean red organic grassfed meat? Some fruit. It's fun to have a blt sometimes, but if you were eating cleaner, I bet you wouldn't need such small portions.

I love salads but only with dressing on it. What kinds of food would you suggest? I can't afford organic right now. I have a family of 6 I am feeding (7 when my step-son is here).
  • harlanJEN
    Options
    We need to educate ourselves and not get caught up in "mainstream advice" that is so one size fits all: decrease your calories, exercise more. NOT bad advice, but must take it in context - WHAT does it really mean?

In general, this is assuming that women are not exercising and eating willy nilly - and it's pretty easy advice to hand out without drilling down and getting down to real work as to the HOW, WHATS and WHYs.

Eating LESS calories isn't always the answer since many of us take that as to eat barely anything. When in fact, we need to EAT, but make smarter food choices and we need to build/maintain lean body mass.

ABSOLUTELY, need to shore up our nutrition and need to incorporate exercise into our daily lives. I'm VERY passionate about strength training and weighted cardio.

And yes, I will be honest - I'm not a coddler. I refuse to wrap my arms around any type of "woe is me in menopause" group hug. YES. It's reality. Let's face it, deal with it head on - kicking BUTT!

So .. anyhoo. Here is an article just to get the juices flowing about strength training.

www.cathe.com/weightlifting-myths-debunked
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Peri-menopause started for me when I was 42. During a very stressful year I seemed to gain 50+ lbs,get gray hair and my period stopped. Fortunately for me, once I realized that my stress level was creating the biggest impact, I was able to control the hot flashes with a change of diet (cutting out alcohol, processed foods, soda) and I noticed that by the time I was 45 most of the typical symptoms associated with menopause had all but disappeared.

The weight has come off nicely, my sleep is back to normal and for the most part no more hot flashes. My philosphy has always been that periods and menopause are a natural and healthy part of life. I was happy not to have worry about my period anymore and truthfully excited (??) to see how my body is changing as I grow older. Perhaps this is a strange attitude but why fight nature IMHO. Good luck.
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Very good advice! I think of my body as a whole new me post menopause...lots of surprising differences (ok a bit rude until I worked through some things)...and my response was to find a healthier me...reading new ideas on nutrition and doing better to take control of the situation! I found a very supportive GYN doctor and she helped me a lot with all the issues...sound advice....but I also went back to eating vegetarian (sometimes flexitarian LOL!) at least clean eating...it helped a lot with everything! More soy can help a bit with hot flashes if thats still an issue.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    We need to educate ourselves and not get caught up in "mainstream advice" that is so one size fits all: decrease your calories, exercise more. NOT bad advice, but must take it in context - WHAT does it really mean?

In general, this is assuming that women are not exercising and eating willy nilly - and it's pretty easy advice to hand out without drilling down and getting down to real work as to the HOW, WHATS and WHYs.

Eating LESS calories isn't always the answer since many of us take that as to eat barely anything. When in fact, we need to EAT, but make smarter food choices and we need to build/maintain lean body mass.

ABSOLUTELY, need to shore up our nutrition and need to incorporate exercise into our daily lives. I'm VERY passionate about strength training and weighted cardio.

And yes, I will be honest - I'm not a coddler. I refuse to wrap my arms around any type of "woe is me in menopause" group hug. YES. It's reality. Let's face it, deal with it head on - kicking BUTT!

So .. anyhoo. Here is an article just to get the juices flowing about strength training.

www.cathe.com/weightlifting-myths-debunked

This is excellent advice. I'm 50 and lost 45 pounds this past year to get to my goal weight and size. Did menopause make it harder? Probably. Did it make it impossible? Nope.

You can have excuses or results, but not both.