Non dairy milk

Options
I am a new vegetarian. I never liked to drink cows milk but I am going to buy a carton of almond, rice or soy milk today. I haven't tried any of them. I probably would prefer the one with the least taste:). What do you use? What is the difference regarding protein content , and price? Thanks:)

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened Almond Breeze vanilla flavor. I use mainly use it in smoothies, the fruit sweetens it.
  • Bikini_Beast
    Options
    I prefer soy for the protein content and taste.

The soy light (original) has 6g protein, 2g fat, 8g carbs and 70 cals per an 8oz serving.
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk! Almond Breeze is delicious :)
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use Silk uinsweetened organic soy milk. I can use it in both smoothies & oatmeal, cold cereal,etc. If I want to adjust flavor or sweetness I can just add fruit or honey. Most of the products I see seem to range from 2.99-3.99 a carton, sometimes less on sale
  • AblazeRiver
    AblazeRiver Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has half-gallon cartons of UNSWEETENED coconut milk. No dairy, only 50 calories, and a very subtle taste. I love it! if you add 1/2 tbsp of agave nectar (30 cals) you have a delicious treat :) it also freezes well.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The milk I have found with the least "taste" is Natura unsweetened soy milk. I like it on cereal and in recipies since it doesn't overpower.

I also like blue diamond unsweetened almond milk both vanilla and chocolate. I use vanilla on my cereal or in smoothies and chocolate in my coffee.
  • mollyhayes1971
    Options
    I like this brand as well. I find if I buy it in the refrigerated section rather than the pantry aisle it is a bit cheaper..no idea why, maybe it is just the store I shop at. I find that soy can make my tummy somewhat upset. I like rice milk but is very light and somewhat watery in consistency.
  • mollyhayes1971
    Options
    Sorry...I was talking about unsweetened vanilla almond milk..not sure why it cut that part off.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to make your choices any easier by mentioning that there is also coconut milk. Not the kind you make curries with, but the kind you'll find in the dairy fridge at Whole Foods. I like the taste of coconut milk best, with almond milk being a close second.
  • the_stephinator
    the_stephinator Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original Almond Milk. Only 40 cals per serving and I can get it at my local Wal Mart in the refridgerated section for 2.23 (half gallon). To me it's important to get unsweetened no matter what type of milk substitute I use. They are all sweet enough on their own. I agree that rice milk has a watery consistency. Soy milk is probably the closest to dairy when it comes to consistency. I'm not a fan of coconut milk because it does have a slight coconut flavor and it doesn't lend itself to baking or using in flavored coffee and the like because it will change the taste. almond milk is great in baking and cooking. also, Silk has a Pure Almond line and their unsweetened plain almond milk is only 35 cals a serving. For some reason that brand is not parve (if that's something that's important to you). Have fun finding what works for you!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have almond milk but ultimately prefer cow's milk for taste and nutrients.

As a vegetarian you don't HAVE to cut out cow's milk ... there is milk in a TON of things!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    coconut milk is the way to go. EFAs to rev you up and tastes great. Add stevia to sweeten if you want to make icecream or just cook with it or add it to your smoothies and drinks. Or drink it straight. Or water it down.

no fillers or lechithins. Trader Joes sells it by the half gallon for $2.60

you can by cans of it at Big Lots for $1

Goya, Thai Kitchen, etc. sells for $1.50 and up per can.