What motivated you to make the change?

Options
What motivated you to make the change and work towards a healthier lifestyle?

My motivation was:

* Seeing how heavy and disgusting I look in photos
* Not having the energy to be the mom I want to be for my kids
* Having my husband's grandma tell me that I look pregnant in front of his family (mortifying)
* Asking my hairstylist to cut my hair in layers starting at my chin and having him ask, "Which one?" (He was joking, but it still sucked. He's lucky he's my husband's uncle!)

Replies

• asdjlo
    asdjlo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's really sad to say but my motivation is my overweight family members. I am terrified of becoming as big as some of them are. Also, I want to set a good example for my daughters. I want them to live a healthy lifestyle that includes healthy food choices and physical fitness.
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Same things ... Pictures... Comments , AND I was going to Hawaii for my nephews wedding in Sept 2011, so I joined in January 2011 and lost 60 lbs by September ... Set a goal ... Plan a trip ... Special occasion coming up this summer, fall ? You will do this !!! Good luck on your journey to a healthier you !
  • JodieLBradbury
    JodieLBradbury Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are starting IVF in the new year and I don't want to be one of those fat mums sat on the bench at the park.
  • downtheadders
    downtheadders Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I realized that I was developing one of those unfit middle aged lady paunches at 28 and it was making me look terrible in skirts. That and I got tired of feeling like I'm going to die every time the elevator in my building is out and I need to walk up several flights of stairs.
  • Huzke
    Huzke Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't want my kids to grow up like I did.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    - Pictures of me last Christmas
    - Mom died of Diabetes at age 49 this year
    - seeing scales over 175
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I really have no idea. I've tried to lose weight off and on for 8+ years.. I've tried every program and diet you can think of. I just joined here, mid week, end of the month, and it's actually working. I was never ready until August 28th, 2012
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I was fat and tired of it. A year later, I am less fat. But still not out of the woods.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The picture below...

33323822_1748.jpg

I just did not want to be this unhealthy guy bob-sledding himself to an early grave.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Seeing 310 lbs on the scale.....102 lbs lighter a year later...still have a ways to go but never will be back to that old person again.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    When my 4x tshirts got too tight and the store I buy them didn't have a bigger size.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

* Asking my hairstylist to cut my hair in layers starting at my chin and having him ask, "Which one?" (He was joking, but it still sucked. He's lucky he's my husband's uncle!)

I would have stabbed him with his own scissors!

Wow. There is something to be said for the honesty of family, but that something isn't safe to read at work!

Several things motivated me.

1. My back problems. I knew carrying over 230 pounds (and more at my highest weight) wasn't doing my bad back any good. And I decided I was sick of sitting in my room on the computer in my chair getting heavier and weaker and risking more damage. Also, it was getting boring. I mean it was nice for awhile, hiding in the house all day, but eh, it does get old, even for a socialphobe.

2. I was walking around Wal-Mart shortly after joining MFP (or maybe it was shortly after starting my ten minute Kinect workouts) and some girl said to her boyfriend, "She looks like my mom." Okay, I was old enough to be her mom, but still! I didn't like it. I've never looked my age before and didn't want to start now.

3. It really boiled down to desperation. I knew I couldn't go on forever like I was going, and the one thing I could most easily start changing in my life was diet and exercise.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Doctor said "your LDL and TGL are a little high". That's all I needed to hear.
    I can fix that with food changes and exercise and without meds. So I did. 45 lbs later, that is no longer an issue, as well as
    many other benefits. Go for it, whatever the reason(s), it's worth it. Good luck.
  • suckerlove
    Options
    Wanting desperately to have a baby
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Primary motivation: I had a major health scare back in January! I finally understood that this was an issue that directly affected my QUALITY of LIFE

Secondary motivation: Seeing elderly people in my family. We were blessed to have both of my husband's grandmothers (they both passed away this year) live into their 80s and 90s, but both were housebound and very mobility-restricted for several years before they passed. I want to live well into my 90s (and beyond) but I want to be Jack LaLane 90! healthy, strong, upright, and mobile! I've met a few elderly people at my gym who are fit and strong and taking care of themselves so I know it is possible.

Tertiary motivation: I want to look hot for my husband :heart:
    Our intimate life never suffered even when I was obese but I want to be pleasing to his eye. I want to be attractive to him. Much as he loves me I KNOW he is not attracted to obese women...he never said anything to me but I'm sure my obesity was a trial for him. He is tall and fit and very good-looking, when I was fat you could just tell people were wondering how in the heck did I snag him. Well I was cute and slender when we first got together. I'm getting that body back! and he is pleased as punch, very pleased :love:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Hire a new hair stylist. Period. Any idiot who makes fun of a client's weight shouldn't be a hair stylist.

What motivated me:

(1) watching several friends and acquaintances die of heart attacks in their 40s
    (2) getting winded walking up hills
    (3) not wanting to be my parents who have been suffering for years from silly health issues related to being overweight and not exercising
    (4) wanting to keep up with my kids
  • ToshaFeb268
    Options
    Mine was a variety of things as well, but I guess it was when I seen a photo of myself a couple of months ago, while my hubby and I were on a mini vacation. I thought I was looking good too and when I seen the photo, I looked as though I was carrying sextuplets. I was so embarrassed because the person who took the photo asked my permission first before she put it up on FB, and I was like sure go ahead. LOL
  • ToshaFeb268
    Options
    Same things ... Pictures... Comments , AND I was going to Hawaii for my nephews wedding in Sept 2011, so I joined in January 2011 and lost 60 lbs by September ... Set a goal ... Plan a trip ... Special occasion coming up this summer, fall ? You will do this !!! Good luck on your journey to a healthier you !

Congrats on your weight loss, awesome job! I have set mini goals for each month. I look forward to making January's goal.
  • ToshaFeb268
    Options
    Seeing 310 lbs on the scale.....102 lbs lighter a year later...still have a ways to go but never will be back to that old person again.

You are inspiring! I have 115 pounds to go and I am going to get there and keep it off this time.
  • TheLittleLebowski
    Options
    When I moved away from home to live in a student house, there was a girl who lived with us and I wanted to impress her. She's moved away but after a while it became a more personal thing anyway.