Joining MFP, losing weight then gaining it back..

Options
I'm hoping that some of you who have lost weight on MFP, then gained some or all of it back would share why and how that happened. Call me selfish, but since a large percentage of people who do lose weight, gain it back, I'd like to help myself and others, avoid it.
For me, I believe I have had success because I made it a lifestyle, incorporated 'treats' into my diary, faced what stressed me and I've kept active.

Thank you kindly if you can be honest and willing to share your story to help others. :)

Replies

• jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Well so far I've been going strong this time, but I've been on a journey for too many years at least 30+. As for losing and gaining I'd start a plan usually what ever diet is hot at the time. I'd start to lose weight and feel good, then I'd think I can add some of those bad things from my past and pretty soon I'd gain everything back plus 10 or 20 more pounds. So usually within a 2 month period I'd feel good and be back fat and feel dumb. I just had to get in the right frame of mind and start to see NSV's and feel better. I had to get it in my mind that all my bad habits were just that bad habits and I couldn't go back to eating that way. I'm more driven and my goals will be met. I'm here for the long haul and willing to help anyone. I want to see what a difference there will be by the end of 2013.
  • lbowshier
    lbowshier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me I will get going strong, diet, exercise, and get moving toward my goal. Then my schedule will change and my workouts cease and as soon as that happens my healthy eating goes right down the drain and all the weight I lost over the two months time will come flooding back in a week or two. Eating healthy is a constant struggle for me since my kids and husband complain about it when I get on my healthy eating kick. In order for me to live happy I am almost cooking two meals at night, and it wears me out. Then I begin to feel so deprived when they are chowing down on all the comfort foods I love too and I am staring at a bland piece of grilled chicken and some steamed veggies. Mine is complete lack of support.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I do well when I get into a routine, but if I get to feeling too overwhelmed by life, or something breaks my routine for more than a couple of days, and I lose my focus.

The only solution I can see is keep picking myself up and moving forward. Bad habits are hard to break, good ones are hard to make.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Well so far I've been going strong this time, but I've been on a journey for too many years at least 30+. As for losing and gaining I'd start a plan usually what ever diet is hot at the time. I'd start to lose weight and feel good, then I'd think I can add some of those bad things from my past and pretty soon I'd gain everything back plus 10 or 20 more pounds. So usually within a 2 month period I'd feel good and be back fat and feel dumb. I just had to get in the right frame of mind and start to see NSV's and feel better. I had to get it in my mind that all my bad habits were just that bad habits and I couldn't go back to eating that way. I'm more driven and my goals will be met. I'm here for the long haul and willing to help anyone. I want to see what a difference there will be by the end of 2013.
    Jer, you have the right attitude. I, also did all of the 'fad' diets only to gain even more after stopping them. It is true that once you see those first nsv's, you are encouraged to do even better. That is one reason why I love MFP, I can share them with someone other than family and they actually CARE.
    You are right, you are driven, and you will finish 2013 even better. I am so proud of you for how far you've come and you inspire me. By the way, LOVE the new pic! You look like a different person! Congrats.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I did really good from December '11 to July '12 (26 lbs gone). I did the whole "lifestyle" thing, didn't diet, I ate what I wanted just in a smaller amounts, counted calories and exercised. It worked and it really wasn't difficult at all, but then I hit a depression and couldn't get motivated and the lbs came running back. Unfortunately depression is a big part of my life. Here I am still trying to get back...I hate how I feel and how I look. I wish it was as simple as "JUST DO IT".
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    For me I will get going strong, diet, exercise, and get moving toward my goal. Then my schedule will change and my workouts cease and as soon as that happens my healthy eating goes right down the drain and all the weight I lost over the two months time will come flooding back in a week or two. Eating healthy is a constant struggle for me since my kids and husband complain about it when I get on my healthy eating kick. In order for me to live happy I am almost cooking two meals at night, and it wears me out. Then I begin to feel so deprived when they are chowing down on all the comfort foods I love too and I am staring at a bland piece of grilled chicken and some steamed veggies. Mine is complete lack of support.
    I hear you about cooking different meals. My kids are older so I was able to give them, and my HUSBAND, a choice. They could eat the healthier stuff I prepared or fix their own meal. Eventually my husband was on track but my son still buys a LOT of breaded stuff that he fries, but it is his choice to do so. I know it's a little more work but can you try roasting your veggies? You can add a ton of flavor that makes them much tastier than steaming. Also, what about some crockpot meals? You can eat whatever meats/veggies you put in and the rest of the family could put it on top of rice/noodles or whatever. As far as working out, I don't know what you do for exercise, but can you find something that would be easy to transition from when your schedule changes? Maybe work out early? I know that if I do, I tend to eat healthier the rest of the day.
    Good luck and I pray you get some encouragement and support, whether it's from family or MFP's, it's out there. I'd be happy to help you along!
    YOU are worth the time, effort and mental work it takes to get healthy. You can do this. :)
  • mike5802
    mike5802 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight back on is probably the most common thing that happens when dieting. In 2009, I was motivated by lousy lab tests. I lost 20 lbs and felt great and my clothes fit. Then, in 2010, I began work on a stressful job. I wasn't long before I gained all the weight back plus 5 more.

I agree with those above - it seems that some life change causes us to fall of our diet/exercise regimes. So, I guess that we just have to be really vigilant when those road bumps come along in life and not buy doughnuts when that happens!
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think I've covered some of it in my profile (although it was done without MFP)...

1) I switched from unhealthy eating to clean eating. When my mental health problems prevented me from using my George Foreman for multiple periods (including 2010 to present) the only "habit" I had to fall back on was unhealthy eating. Had I maintained rather than gained during those 14 weeks I may have hit my goal weight.

2) Linked to the above, going back to 1 large meal a day rather than several meals and snacks, and not tracking what I was eating.

3) Comparing my progress photos week-by-week and not seeing any progress (or seeing a regression due to camera angle or water weight) when had I compared each one to one taken 4 weeks before I would've seen progress. Stopped taking progress photos.

4) Stopped weight training and jogging because I didn't want to do it anymore.

5) Scale weight not moving, measurements (including callipers) not changing or increasing - stopped measuring.

6) Regained more weight than I'd started at (38.5 pounds more) at an average over 3 years of 0.6 pounds per week. Because I regained from the fittest point in my life, my body was able to handle more weight before the 'impacting my health' signs started again.

7) My room has become a mess. My weight bench has boxes on it. My fridge has boxes in front of it. The area of my room I used to do my stretches after jogs and walks doesn't exist anymore. Whenever I thought about starting walking again, "need to tidy my room first" and "too much work"/"don't have the energy" went through my mind. 10+ weeks of gradual tidying, not much of a dent has been made yet.

8) Agoraphobia, social phobia, and other issues became worse.
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    I did really good from December '11 to July '12 (26 lbs gone). I did the whole "lifestyle" thing, didn't diet, I ate what I wanted just in a smaller amounts, counted calories and exercised. It worked and it really wasn't difficult at all, but then I hit a depression and couldn't get motivated and the lbs came running back. Unfortunately depression is a big part of my life. Here I am still trying to get back...I hate how I feel and how I look. I wish it was as simple as "JUST DO IT".
    You're right about people saying 'just do it' and expecting you to do so. It's like when they say 'cheer up' when you are in a deep depression. You CANT just snap out of it and be happy. I guess they have never been there so they just dont understand.
    Prayers that you get help for your depression. We have to have our mental health before we can care enough about ourselves to be healthier and I hope that for you, it is soon! <hugs>
  • Nikkismission
    Nikkismission Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I know that yoyo cycle all to well. But hopefully, you will find the support here that you may have been lacking and the weight will stay off.
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    I do well when I get into a routine, but if I get to feeling too overwhelmed by life, or something breaks my routine for more than a couple of days, and I lose my focus.

The only solution I can see is keep picking myself up and moving forward. Bad habits are hard to break, good ones are hard to make.
    That is soooo easy to do! I always did the same until I read somewhere that after a 'binge' or several days of no exercising, the most important meal is the next one you eat, and the most important workout is the next one you do! It helps me move on and refocus, without beating myself up or feeling like I'm a failure.
    One day at a time, you can do this!
  • Nikkismission
    Options

Your singing to "my choir" with this one. That is exactly how it has been for me and I vowed this time, that it's a lifestyle change. Not a fad change. I'm really ready now to learn to look for the NSV's as you call it and that way I wont just be focused on the actual weight and I will get the whole picture.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine does research on this (she was one of the researchers on that big longitudinal study that basically documents the successful loss and then regaining by most people over a 2 year period).

"Most" is an important word. 63% who lose do regain what they lost. But that means that 37% keep it off. I hope to be part of that.

She says that the people who keep it off essentially log the rest of their life. They not only don't go back, they don't ever stop the heavy monitoring. They also don't 'diet'. They eat and enjoy what they want, they don't restrict. But they do count count count those calories. Forever.

They also EXERCISE.

Low glycemic foods are also important:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/09/10/160757730/low-and-slow-may-be-the-way-to-go-when-it-comes-to-dieting
  • Nikkismission
    Options
    Its not just fair to respond to others comments without sharing my story. lol.... I agree with most of what I've been reading thus far. I wanted the weight loss, but for the wrong reason. It was to fit in an outfit, to look cute and get complaints and then I thought, "oh, i'm in control so I can just eat those bad foods again, but this time in moderation"..That wasn't the case, and rather than looking at the scale or continuing to go to the support groups, I thought "I was the man" lol and had it in control... and I didn't... Then I would get the "oh nick, I see you put some weight back on"... I'm so tired of the yo yo effect. My family wasn't ready for my healthier meals choices, so I made two meals until it became overwhelming.. But now, the husband is gone and the kids are older and can cook for themselves. So I cook for me with my healthy choices. I look for tasty recipes and spices because if the food doesn't look good or taste appealing, I'm not going to stick with it.
    I must admit, that its far from over, but I have a different mindset this time around and I'm not getting as discouraged as I use to before when the scale refuses to move, but the NSV's makes me feel good. So I know i'm still winning. Plus. I have a new love interest who is very supportive. He likes me as I am, but he knows it's important for me to obtain this weight loss goal. And I read on another post, that you can't expect people to all of the sudden join on the ban wagon with you in loosing the weight, they have to want to do it for themselves. I used to get upset about this because I wanted them to want it like I did, but now, I just want it for myself and if I can inspire or motivate just one person, then I'm happy about that. If not, then I'm still happy, because I made the change.
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    I think I've covered some of it in my profile (although it was done without MFP)...

1) I switched from unhealthy eating to clean eating. When my mental health problems prevented me from using my George Foreman for multiple periods (including 2010 to present) the only "habit" I had to fall back on was unhealthy eating. Had I maintained rather than gained during those 14 weeks I may have hit my goal weight.

2) Linked to the above, going back to 1 large meal a day rather than several meals and snacks, and not tracking what I was eating.

3) Comparing my progress photos week-by-week and not seeing any progress (or seeing a regression due to camera angle or water weight) when had I compared each one to one taken 4 weeks before I would've seen progress. Stopped taking progress photos.

4) Stopped weight training and jogging because I didn't want to do it anymore.

5) Scale weight not moving, measurements (including callipers) not changing or increasing - stopped measuring.

6) Regained more weight than I'd started at (38.5 pounds more) at an average over 3 years of 0.6 pounds per week. Because I regained from the fittest point in my life, my body was able to handle more weight before the 'impacting my health' signs started again.

7) My room has become a mess. My weight bench has boxes on it. My fridge has boxes in front of it. The area of my room I used to do my stretches after jogs and walks doesn't exist anymore. Whenever I thought about starting walking again, "need to tidy my room first" and "too much work"/"don't have the energy" went through my mind. 10+ weeks of gradual tidying, not much of a dent has been made yet.

8) Agoraphobia, social phobia, and other issues became worse.
    Thank you kindly for sharing your story. You know? The more I read the comments to this topic, the more I realize that weight issues are psychological and that we REALLY need to focus on our mental health before we can do this. I pray that things get better for you soon! <hugs>
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    Its not just fair to respond to others comments without sharing my story. lol.... I agree with most of what I've been reading thus far. I wanted the weight loss, but for the wrong reason. It was to fit in an outfit, to look cute and get complaints and then I thought, "oh, i'm in control so I can just eat those bad foods again, but this time in moderation"..That wasn't the case, and rather than looking at the scale or continuing to go to the support groups, I thought "I was the man" lol and had it in control... and I didn't... Then I would get the "oh nick, I see you put some weight back on"... I'm so tired of the yo yo effect. My family wasn't ready for my healthier meals choices, so I made two meals until it became overwhelming.. But now, the husband is gone and the kids are older and can cook for themselves. So I cook for me with my healthy choices. I look for tasty recipes and spices because if the food doesn't look good or taste appealing, I'm not going to stick with it.
    I must admit, that its far from over, but I have a different mindset this time around and I'm not getting as discouraged as I use to before when the scale refuses to move, but the NSV's makes me feel good. So I know i'm still winning. Plus. I have a new love interest who is very supportive. He likes me as I am, but he knows it's important for me to obtain this weight loss goal. And I read on another post, that you can't expect people to all of the sudden join on the ban wagon with you in loosing the weight, they have to want to do it for themselves. I used to get upset about this because I wanted them to want it like I did, but now, I just want it for myself and if I can inspire or motivate just one person, then I'm happy about that. If not, then I'm still happy, because I made the change.
    Thank you for sharing your story also! I agree that we can't 'force' family to join us in our mission to be healthier. I'm glad that you were able to make your own meals and let them fend for themselves. That makes it sooo much easier. For me, it was a happy day when I finally said, NO, I'm not eating that, do you want some of this? Every time I said that, even though I was doing it for ME, I felt like I was being mean to them. Now I know it's for my health and it no longer bothers me, at all. I just feel bad for those with younger children. I think if mine were younger, I'd see a nutritionist to figure out how to transition the entire family to eating better, without traumatizing them! Old habits are hard to change but with one change at a time, it is possible!
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    A friend of mine does research on this (she was one of the researchers on that big longitudinal study that basically documents the successful loss and then regaining by most people over a 2 year period).

"Most" is an important word. 63% who lose do regain what they lost. But that means that 37% keep it off. I hope to be part of that.

She says that the people who keep it off essentially log the rest of their life. They not only don't go back, they don't ever stop the heavy monitoring. They also don't 'diet'. They eat and enjoy what they want, they don't restrict. But they do count count count those calories. Forever.

They also EXERCISE.

Low glycemic foods are also important:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/09/10/160757730/low-and-slow-may-be-the-way-to-go-when-it-comes-to-dieting
    Thank you for sharing this. I thought that once I reached goal, I would probably stop logging food and exercise. Now I won't even be tempted. Thank you!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Happened to me :(

For me, it's emotional issues I still haven't addressed.
  • willowdancer
    Options
    There were two points in my life when I have lost weight; I lose about 10 pounds back in 2008 (its not much, but it was a big deal) getting down to 180 something but I gained it back and got up to 212 in this past year. In July of this past year I lost 18 pounds, going from 212 to 194, and I have gained back 6 of those pounds but I have realigned my focus and gotten back into the groove of it (hooray for day three of counting calories and exercising!) My regressions to old habits were triggered every time by financial stress. I run my own business making and selling jewelry and when things are going well I feel on top of the world; I have all much ducks in a row, I do my workouts, my house in clean, the garden is weeded, etc. As soon as money starting getting tight because its a slow month I stop buying groceries and its back to ramen noodles and pancakes. The problem with this situation is I am no longer feeding myself properly, my energy dips, I get depressed, stop working out, and feel like I am losing control of my life. I can handle being busy out of my mind, I can handle being stressed by family or friends; its just money that triggers me to act on my worst impulses.

Having this knowledge, I am going to use it to my best advantage and try my best to keep exercising as my #1 go to for stress relief and try to stretch my grocery budget as much as I can while keeping things healthy!
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    This time last year I lost a couple of pounds and it gained it back. The reason I gained was because I didn't think about long term results and was too impatient to stick it out longer than two months. This time, it has been four months and I am taking it step by step. I am not losing weight for a particular event or anxiously watching every pound. I know that as long as I am logging it will work out.