Sugar Intake

Options
My sugar intake is always over what they allow if i eat a piece of fruit and a yogurt its over already. Is that ok??

Replies

• sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're fine.

The 25-ish grams of sugar MFP recommends is for processed sugars: pastry, candy bars, anything that comes in a box.

If you're eating fruit and yogurt, you're just fine. I eat fruit with almost every meal, so I ignore the sugar-counting option all together. About 30% of my diet is raw fruits and veggies, but for those who for one reason or another eat more processed or prepackaged foods, watching the sugar intake should be a higher priority. Just keep an eye on it and decide if it's important to you. (Personally, I'd rather track fiber, sodium and protein. Decide what's more important for your nutrition goals. Your doctor or a nutritionist can make the best recommendations.)
  • murraygal21
    murraygal21 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how they come up with those numbers, but I've been very conscious of actually trying NOT to ever go over my Sugar ... as I've read several articles and books that talk about how sugar intake contributes to those lovely rolls on on our waists .... My goal has been to actually come in below.

Now, one trick I've learned is actually, instead of buying FAT FREE items, to buy sugar free. It seems to work a little better, bc you will find that Fat free items have more sugar in them, less fat ... which jumps up the intake (for instance a fat free yogurt has tons of sugar, vs. a sugar free yogurt.)

Anyway, just my thoughts -- it's worked for me!
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I eat 2-3 pieces of fruit a day, and my sugar level always go over the limit. However, I've still been losing weight at a steady pace. It may have something to do with the fact that it's natural sugar, not refined, and so more easily used by the body.
  • fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I notice the same thing! I am eating very small amounts of anything with sugar, and only healthy snacks (ie apple, or banana; not both), etc. But there is even sugar in vegetables! I'm always over! But with such a small level to begin (25), it's virtually impossible to stay below. As long as you're not getting those 25 from a donut or cake, I think it's fine. :)