Does anyone take Topamax?

Options
Totally not related to weight loss....but does anyone take Topamax? I have been having serious leg pain (especially behind in my knees when standing) ~ anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax briefly. I didn't have leg pain. How long have you had the pain? Have you read the pamphlet to see if that is a possible side effect? Have you called the pharmacist to see what they say, or the doctor's office?

Side Note: Topamax made me crazy. Certifiably. I had tangible hallucinations. I kept brushing hair away from the right side of my mouth, where hair had blown around and gotten caught in the corner of my lips.... except there was no hair there.... I just kept FEELING it there. All day long. Every few minutes. My emotions went outta whack and I couldn't stop myself from blurting out what was on my mind, while enduring the emotional rollercoaster. I finally stopped taking the med when I almost told off my boss.... No med was worth losing my job!!! I found another drug to deal with my migraines.
  • cbmillz
    cbmillz Posts: 16
    Options
    I take topomax. My only side effects were tingling toes and fingers and not being able to taste carbonation. My doc said take potassium supplements or eat a banana or two a day.

Hope this helps!
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    i looked it up and it can actually cause blood clots....i'm a little concerned. i'm think i need to see doc. i'm taking it for anger....not migraines. doesn't affect my mood so much, except i tend to be forgetful, off balance (not mentally LOL), etc.
  • sassycassy
    sassycassy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax for a couple of years...but had no leg pain. I had to stop taking this medicine because it caused me to have kidney stone. OUCH!!!! I was on a high dose, so the doctors say this is why I had kidney stones.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I take topomax. My only side effects were tingling toes and fingers and not being able to taste carbonation. My doc said take potassium supplements or eat a banana or two a day.

LMAO!! How could I forget -- I had those side effects too!!! I couldn't drink sodas; they tasted like straight acid.

Seoid, give the doctor a call. Calm your fears. :flowerforyou:
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    I took Topamax with Adipex as my doctor was trying to get me to lose weight and said that Topamax was supposed to help with reducing binge eating... Total crap. It's for migraines but gave me migraines like crazy. I didn't like it.
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    I take 75mg a day for migraines. Been taking it for about 3 years. I had bad side effects when I first started but now nothing. I hope you get yours figured out.
  • LAgal
    LAgal Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax for a while. It started to affect my speech. I began slurring my words, my fingers and my toes went numb also. I hated the medicine. Call your doctor Seoid.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I have been taking it for migraines for year and used to work as a pharmacy tech and have never heard of that side affect and have studied the med pretty extensively. BUT, I'm happy to see others have had the soda effect since my neurologist and pharmacists had never even heard of anyone having that effect!!!! Overall it works well for me. Just a note about the tingling-drinking more water usually helps.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    DAMN! What the heck IS this drug Topamax for? It sounds bad. Horrible! What is it used for?

I guess I should just google it. I'm so lazy/bad. sorry!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Topamax is one of the big guns for migraines. Produced as an anti seizure drug, they found some of the side effects included less migraine pain, some help with bipolar symptoms and appetite suppression. I took it for migraines too. When I'm done nursing my son I'll probably take it again.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    DAMN! What the heck IS this drug Topamax for? It sounds bad. Horrible! What is it used for?

I guess I should just google it. I'm so lazy/bad. sorry!

Migraines and seizures. I was taking it for both of those.
    Positive side effect is that it usually lessens appetite.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Wow this sounds like an awful way to handle your anger. I get there are varying levels when it comes to anger, but have you tried other things? I have heard that yoga can do wonders with your moods. I totally understand taking meds, but I would exhaust every other avenue first. No need to put yourself at risk for other things when you might be able to handle it with yoga or even acupuncture. Maybe a weekly massage. These things may seem pricey, but it is definitely cheaper than dealing with blood clots, kidney stones, and other reactions. Just a thought.

I have been on some medicines that totally screwed me up mentally and sometimes physically. Most of the time I found that after dealing with all of the side effects, there were better ways for me to handle the ailment without meds. At least, not as many meds.

I am not super into eastern medicine and the like, but I do think that sometimes our body can handle things better without medicating it all of the time. I think our doctors tend to over-prescribe instead of help you get to the bottom of it. I wish you luck. All of you. That totally sounds miserable. I hope you find a happy medium. Because really, how you feel and what you take does relate to weight loss. :flowerforyou:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Wow this sounds like an awful way to handle your anger. I get there are varying levels when it comes to anger, but have you tried other things? I have heard that yoga can do wonders with your moods. I totally understand taking meds, but I would exhaust every other avenue first. No need to put yourself at risk for other things when you might be able to handle it with yoga or even acupuncture. Maybe a weekly massage. These things may seem pricey, but it is definitely cheaper than dealing with blood clots, kidney stones, and other reactions. Just a thought.

I have been on some medicines that totally screwed me up mentally and sometimes physically. Most of the time I found that after dealing with all of the side effects, there were better ways for me to handle the ailment without meds. At least, not as many meds.

I am not super into eastern medicine and the like, but I do think that sometimes our body can handle things better without medicating it all of the time. I think our doctors tend to over-prescribe instead of help you get to the bottom of it. I wish you luck. All of you. That totally sounds miserable. I hope you find a happy medium. Because really, how you feel and what you take does relate to weight loss. :flowerforyou:

Pressica-this is for migraines. Migraines are not necessarily caused by anger. Mine are caused by changes in the weather and high levels of stress. And I guarantee that yoga is not going to help me enough with the stress that comes from working a plane crash or the death of someone's child.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Firegirlred - I wasn't trying to target you specifically. I was responding to the original post and she said she was prescribed Topomax for anger problems. I am sure that there are people that do benefit greatly from the drug, I was just mentioning that there might be alternatives to the question asked.