No offense MFP but....

Options
I don't feel that MFP is the most trustworthy place to get foods nutritional value from. I am looking for something more reliable to go to for foods nutritional value when they don't have a food lable :) What do you guys use and suggest!?

Replies

• BodyFreak
    Options
    You can always do some research and customize your own food labels
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just add my own recipes to get the more accurate idea.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just add my own recipes to get the more accurate idea.

right but I'm building a recipe in mfp recipe calculator and using the foods people entered before that doesn't mean there not wrong. I am talking about a different site or resource other then MFP when foods DON'T have food labels.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Foods with no label such as veggies and fruits I will google around for the most accurate, after a while of doing it for so long you can immediately tell if it's BS or not when you try to search something. So i'll end up picking the closest or most accurate one from my previously gathered intel.

I've also grown so accustomed to my kitchens digital scale to weigh out my food, so i'm able to make a pretty good educated guess when choosing portion sizes.

But yeah there are some pretty rediculous values out there entered in on some of these products. Don't forget we submit thoes nutritional values ourselves into the database. creating your own like mentioned before me may be the best route for now, especially for thoes really common foods.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    MFP is the best!! sometimes the information is not accurate but you can always check from other websites if you suspect something unusual.
  • leahlyn
    leahlyn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    calorieking.com is a good place to look. I had the actual pocket version book before all the websites out there popped up.
  • carole_r
    Options
    nutritiondata.com
  • SunshineDecember
    SunshineDecember Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use Nutritiondata.com as well. Very accurate, great analysis and huge database :)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I always cross-reference. :)
  • davidep21
    davidep21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like calorieking.com
  • Aleph13
    Aleph13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    yeah I agree... it is not very accurate about food or exercise. For instance I do alot of yoga... but it's not the gentle hatha yoga, it's kundalini yoga which is actually very aerobic... but mfp only lists yoga as a general activity with one general calorie burning value... i had to add another
    It's ridiculous...

that's my rant anyway
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Foods with no label such as veggies and fruits I will google around for the most accurate, after a while of doing it for so long you can immediately tell if it's BS or not when you try to search something. So i'll end up picking the closest or most accurate one from my previously gathered intel.

I've also grown so accustomed to my kitchens digital scale to weigh out my food, so i'm able to make a pretty good educated guess when choosing portion sizes.

But yeah there are some pretty rediculous values out there entered in on some of these products. Don't forget we submit thoes nutritional values ourselves into the database. creating your own like mentioned before me may be the best route for now, especially for thoes really common foods.

BINGO!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I don't feel that MFP is the most trustworthy place to get foods nutritional value from. I am looking for something more reliable to go to for foods nutritional value when they don't have a food lable :) What do you guys use and suggest!?
    If you are making your own recipe, then make you recipe on the recipe builder. It works.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Items that don't have labels for nutritional values such as fruits and vegetables are mostly all in MFP and they were not added by users. The items that DO NOT have an asterisk are entered by the creators of this site and I use those values religiously. I have searched elsewhere and I find them to be spot-on accurate.

Very rarely do I find a non-labeled item that I can't find within MFP that has been entered by the creators. The only thing I ever found that I couldn't find was squash delicata.

Anything else, like homemade date nut bread - if I don't know where the recipe came from I look at multiple entries within MFP and use an average.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    When you look up something click "nutrition information" and verify it yourself. If it is WAY off, edit/correct. It is done.

The data here is input by users, and if no one inputs the correct data how can it ever be right? Don't just complain about it, help fix it.

Keep in mind that sometimes value of things change as products alter their recipes for healthier versions.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you are making your own recipe, then make you recipe on the recipe builder. It works.

Yep. And if the info you get on an ingredient seems wrong, definitely double check, because some entries are wrong.

You can even edit or flag them as inaccurate I believe when you do find one that is incorrect.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Remember it is us people that share our food items to make it easier for logging.... don't be so wrapped on each calorie but pay attention to how much you eat of that portion.... if something seems to low for me I add half serving to it.....
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I use the mfp ingredients with no asterix. As said before they are not user input and are accurate.