gluten free...

Options
Hi everyone,

I just found out I have a gluten sensitivity and am looking to start a g-free diet for the new year. I would appreciate any tips anyone has and maybe places i wouldn't think to check for gluten that I should be aware of...Thanks!!

Replies

• hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Gluten hides in everything. The less proccessed foods you can eat, the better.

Check things like gravy packages, spices, sauces, brown rice syrup, medications, candy (licorice has wheat), soy/teriyaki sauce, frozen french fries and hashbrowns, Rice Krispies, ice cream....its an endless list.

Check EVERYTHING. I have Celiac, but newly diagnosed (5 months ago) so I'm still learning....I was really really sick over Christmas, it turns out the bulk sour gummy candies I was eating contain wheat.

www.celiac.com, and www.livingwithout.com are both pretty good websites to check out for more info.
  • helenecg
    helenecg Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Both my kids are (pretty much) gluten free due to sensitivities. We went to a health food store to see what is in the gluten free aisle and then went from there. Now many of the big grocery stores (even Walmart) carry gluten free products. My kids love the corn pasta (read the package, some is not gf) and we use the gf pizza shells for baked sandwiches. We have started baking our own bread... b/c we have had a hard time finding one that my eldest son likes. We buy our meats... from a free range farm that guarantees gf meat. If you are baking and the recipe calls for water, make half of it sparkling, it seems to make things a little less dense. A great source is also: http://glutenfreegirl.com.

Like the previous poster said, read every package, it is amazing how many things have gluten.

Good Luck.