Want to swim to tone... will it make be bigger/bulky/broad?

Options
I'm quite close to my goal weight now and want to switch my focus more toning and inches than lbs. My 'worst' areas are my stomach and my upper thighs... and I don't suppose it would hurt to tone my arms and back a bit as well!

I struggle with high impact exercise like running due to problems with my hip, and don't have enough money to join a gym at the moment so wanted to start up swimming three times a week - not only is this affordable to me but it's also my favourite form of exercise!

I swam a lot over the summer and saw brilliant results in terms of inches lost off my waist and stomach, and probably elsewhere as well. I was doing a combination of breaststroke and backstroke for an hour to an hour and a half three times a week.

My concern is that I want to get smaller, not bigger. While I only experienced 'loss' of size over the summer, I've read a few things about swimming making your back and shoulder broader and more masculine and it's worried me a bit.

So my question is: will swimming give me the toning/inch loss I want or will it make me bigger??

Replies

• Morningstar93
    Options
    Bump.. I was wondering this too.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    If you really want to see definition you should start weight training
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You may just find that you balance yourself out better. You'd be gaining definition and probably look leaner for it even if you do gain muscle, and having more lean muscle increases your metabolism so it's not a bad thing. Muscle also takes up less space than fat - and best of all - it doesn't wobble lol.

Seriously, if you enjoy it do it and if you do find your body changes not to your liking you can always cut down or stop.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I swam a lot over the summer and saw brilliant results in terms of inches lost off my waist and stomach, and probably elsewhere as well. I was doing a combination of breaststroke and backstroke for an hour to an hour and a half three times a week.

Hi Rach - I think you have your answer right there.

Also - I don't know where you are or how strong a swimmer - but you will never find a more rewarding exercise than swimming wild if you can find some friends to go with. The sea, a safe river or lake - just fantastic. I have swum with ranbow trout just a few feet underneath me and backstroked looking up to fluffy white clouds scudding past in a washed blue sky. Swim wild if you can and you will forget about being more defined; whatever that is.

Any exercise you do will not make you more toned or give inch loss without eating less than you need - you don't need me to tell you that. The only difference I have seen with people swimming regularly is they become leaner and shoulders become more shapely and mobile due to the flexibility of swimming different strokes and that has to be a good thing.

And come on - swimming is far more rewarding than sitting in a gym crunching out weight reps.

Best wishes for the future year, whatever you decide.
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I used to swim a lot, around 6-8 miles a week. I'm naturally fairly broad shouldered but I didn't notice swimming making me any larger, quite the reverse, I've never had a such a good figure or felt so good generally (sigh). Apparently, front crawl builds the most muscles in the back and shoulder area, closely followed by butterfly. If you aren't doing these strokes then you'll be ok - and if you do feel that you are getting bigger, why not get a float and do some legs only drills to tone the muscles in your legs instead?
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Do you plan on taking massive quantities of testosterone while swimming? Or eating 3000+ calories a day?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Do you plan on taking massive quantities of testosterone while swimming? Or eating 3000+ calories a day?

this.

regardless of what you've heard (which obviously arent from scientific sources), these are the only ways your body can get bigger : taking hormones and taking in more food than you need.

muscles just arent created out of thin air... or pool water
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    Swimming is basically more muscle endurance training than progressive muscle building. Swimmers look the way they do because of lower bodyfat. Yes you may increase the size a little in your shoulders and back, but it will be minimal if you're on calorie deficit because to build muscle you are actually gaining weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    "Want to swim to tone... will it make be bigger/bulky/broad?"

No.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm quite close to my goal weight now and want to switch my focus more toning and inches than lbs. My 'worst' areas are my stomach and my upper thighs... and I don't suppose it would hurt to tone my arms and back a bit as well!

I struggle with high impact exercise like running due to problems with my hip, and don't have enough money to join a gym at the moment so wanted to start up swimming three times a week - not only is this affordable to me but it's also my favourite form of exercise!

My concern is that I want to get smaller, not bigger. While I only experienced 'loss' of size over the summer, I've read a few things about swimming making your back and shoulder broader and more masculine and it's worried me a bit.

So my question is: will swimming give me the toning/inch loss I want or will it make me bigger??

/thread
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options

I haven't read the other answers yet, but I think you answered your own question. You said you saw inch loss when swimming. Some people find that swimming stimulates their appetite, but if you are keeping your diet in check weight gain should not be a problem. I've had friends comment when I was swimming a lot about how "bulky" some competitive female swimmers look. I don't agree, they look fit to me. But... They are also doing a lot of other exercise beyond swimming to build their strength. I remember I use to swim at the same time the local teen girl's swim team was practicing. These girls were doing pullups, walking lunges, etc. in addition to their swimming drills. I don't think it is likely for anyone, especially a female, to put on much mass from aerobic exercise like swimming. If you love it and it does your body good, go for it. You can always quit if you find you are gaining size.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

this.

regardless of what you've heard (which obviously arent from scientific sources), these are the only ways your body can get bigger : taking hormones and taking in more food than you need.

muscles just arent created out of thin air... or pool water
    +1
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    People who are actively trying to put on muscle mass don't swim - they eat lots of calories, lift heavy weights and minimize cardio exercise. I've never seen a bodybuilder/physique athlete/muscular person who credited their success to hours in the pool.

Swimming (along with a calorie deficit) may lean you out and make your existing muscles more visible due to the fat loss, but it won't make you "bulky".
  • speedgraphic19
    Options
    You won't turn into the Hulk just by swimming regularly. The kind of muscle gain you're thinking of takes a lot of work including eating a ton and doing a lot of resistance training.