I Need Advice From Morning Runners

Options
I posted this , int his forum cause i know its probably one of the most popular, i have no problems with dieting and losing weight but i do need some advice on morning running......

What i meen is im changing my workouts next year as i'm tuning up for a fight in August, sparring from February but i'm also gonna start running in the mornings as extra cardio and to improve fitness outside of the gym and getting me ready for sparring.

My breakfast is quite simple 6 scrambled egg whites, protein shake with milk ( 2 scoops) , 90g of protein, then wash it down with grapefruit juice to kick my matablism off.

But if i start running i'm i best doing it on empty stomach then come back and eat? Or have protein shake come back have my eggs and juice? I'm not sure how to play this one. I will be running at around 6am, getting back for 6.45-7, then getting ready for work to leave me home at 8. Any tips on how to eat my breakfast ? and dont say with a fork lol

Replies

• nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Everyone is different and you have to learn whats best for you by experiment.
    If you have energy to run on an empty stomach, by all means do that if its easier, and breakfast when you get back.
    If you don't and have to eat something before hand, experiment with what amount you can eat that wont irritate you with your run.
    I like to eat a little something, but found that when I eat 'too large for me' a portion then I can get gassy when I run.

So now I've learned the amount I can get away with eating in the period before I start moving, to make it all work.
    You have to find your own answer to this I'm afraid.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As Nguk said, everyone is different. Personally, I can't run on an empty stomach, but nor can I run straight after eating something: I find an hour to an hour and a half between eating and running is a nice happy medium for me. If I run straight after eating I feel a bit like a lead balloon, but unless I'm only doing a very short run of a few miles then there's no way I could run without having anything prior.

However, I certainly wouldn't want to run after such a protein-heavy meal. If I have anything before I run, it's normally something small and carby- I had a habit of having mince pies before my really long runs during December whilst they were on offer- I'll be back to a slice of fruit loaf once the holiday is over.

How far are you intending to run? If it's beneath 3-5 miles, I'd say give it a shot on an empty stomach and see how you feel. There's no reason why you couldn't experiment after the protein shake as well. You won't know until you try!
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Personally I run on an empty stomach every weekend morning. If I have time, I may have a cheese stick (the pull apart kind) just for some protein, but my photo buddy usually helps me with that!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    personally, i like working out fasted. i'll have a big dinner, so i wake up not hungry, and i can go run.

i used to eat breakfast and leave to go work out after an hour of being awake. i would feel sluggish and even crap up.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do my morning runs on an empty stomach. On weekends, I may have a cup of coffee first. It's what works for me.

If you feel the need to eat before you go out, I would eat something small (like a granola bar) then eat breakfast after you return.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I can't run on an empty stomach so if I go in the morning I have toast with pb and banana.
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Try both and figure out which you prefer. Personally, for morning runs, I prefer to run fasted unless it is 10k+. But I'm never hungry until a couple of hours after I wake up anyway. Everyone's different.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    What is your purpose and distance for running other than cardio?
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I posted this , int his forum cause i know its probably one of the most popular, i have no problems with dieting and losing weight but i do need some advice on morning running......

What i meen is im changing my workouts next year as i'm tuning up for a fight in August, sparring from February but i'm also gonna start running in the mornings as extra cardio and to improve fitness outside of the gym and getting me ready for sparring.

My breakfast is quite simple 6 scrambled egg whites, protein shake with milk ( 2 scoops) , 90g of protein, then wash it down with grapefruit juice to kick my matablism off.

But if i start running i'm i best doing it on empty stomach then come back and eat? Or have protein shake come back have my eggs and juice? I'm not sure how to play this one. I will be running at around 6am, getting back for 6.45-7, then getting ready for work to leave me home at 8. Any tips on how to eat my breakfast ? and dont say with a fork lol

Agree with Nguk123.

If I was to primarily focus on the fact that you are prepping for a fight in August, I would suggest that you assess your body's need for energy whilst sparring. The whole purpose of running is to help with your stamina(heart rate). I would suggest that you inculcate more carbs into your AM post workout routine so that you may possibly trick your hormones into being off set enough to strengthen your muscles, which will then positively affect your muscle endurance in the ring. How does your body use energy as you're sparring? You might need to tweak your meals, meal frequency and meal content to ascertain what sits well in your stomach, if you do need food prior to running and later as you draw ever closer to your fight.

As a morning runner, I run on an empty stomach and use my nuts and dried berries or an orange for energy when I need to, about 1 1/2 hrs into it - Date-orade does not work for me. The men in my family who are boxers on the other hand, take protein shakes before their AM runs, who then feed on meals similar to yours, only that they may add oatmeal or 2 slices of toast or even about 6 oz chicken with a potato for breakfast. They load up on their carbs in the AM plus lean proteins.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time running fast without any carbs in the bloodstream. I usually do a honey stinger waffle or a slice of whole wheat toast with peanut butter. Echo what everyone says - everyone is different in terms of what your system will tolerate. Also depends on what your training goals are. If I were just looking 30-45 min for aerobic cardio and didn't need to get in some anaerobic tempo runs then I might be able to do it without food first.
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am an "eat every 3 hours" kinda girl, so I usually have a small cup of coffee and handful of trail mix or toast before my run and then by the time I am home, I have something with more sustenance (eggs, turkey sausage, protein shake). However, each person has their own preference. Good luck.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I have problems eating before a run. Why not give it a shot and see how you do, just try to do a small loop, you know just in case you get massive side stitches, and or vomiting.

I usually follow up my run with a glass of chocolate milk. So I would save the shake till after your run, You have no idea how good that will be till after you try it.
  • Staffygirl88
    Staffygirl88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    personally i dont like to eat anything before a morning run, it usually ends up making me feel sick
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Any exercise up to 45mins first thing in the morning, including running, I don't eat and usually just have a strong black coffee for a caffeine kick before setting off. As long as I've had dinner the evening before I don't have any problems with energy levels. I'm also more likely to get out for a run, particularly if the weather is bad, if I get up and out without hesitation. Too many times I have decided to have a quick breakfast first and found myself waking up and making excuses for not getting out!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Everyone IS different - but I cannot run with food in my tummy. it makes me feel ill and destroys any ability for me to have a productive run. I have food about 60 minutes after a run that is high protein.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have done up to 20 miles on an (almost) empty stomach. I have a nuun tablet in my water and take a packet of sports beans (100cal) on the run, which I break out at about the 12 mile mark. Those days I usually am up at 4:30, have 2 shots of espresso and some almond milk (40cal) by around 6, start running at 10, finish around 1. My stamina does not seem to be affected by lack of food.
  • shaunyhall87
    shaunyhall87 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone also plz feel free to add me
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Training Wise, I eat at least 100 Calories before any run.

Race wise, I carb out (4 frozen waffles and 1/2 cup of maple syrup about a hour before if possible) plus 100 calorie Jelly Sport Beans before i start the actual race.

Got to fuel my body.

But as everyone has said, you have to find what works for you.
  • HarlowS
    HarlowS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I also agree that you will have to play around with eating before and after to see what works for you. Personally, I get up and just go. No coffee or anything. After I get home and showered, I drink coffee and get a nice protein filled breakfast in.

Good luck with your training!
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Part of the answer depends on how hard and how many miles you will be running in the morning. If it is a steady-state "easy" run, you can probably eat something very light, like a scrambled egg white with a little cheese, before you run. If you're doing a tempo run or something similar, you may get GI issues if you eat something before hand. But I agree with the other folks here: You should experiment to see what works for you.