Making me sick! Help!

Options
Every time I work out I get sick to my stomach. I try to push through it as much as I can, but it usually ends up in throwing up or a migraine. I try to stay hydrated and not let myself get over heated. And I've tried snacks before and after, but it doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Are you eating too close to your workouts?
  • downtheadders
    downtheadders Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Might be worth asking a doctor! Do you have stomach problems otherwise?
  • mcqlove87
    Options
    I've eaten an hour before, 30 min, 15 min... everything.

My stomach is upset on a daily basis (but I never get sick). I've went to the doctor and they haven't been able to tell me anything.
  • move257
    move257 Posts: 313
    Options
    This is odd!! I would try to wait at least two hours after a meal or a full hour after a small snack. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids before, during and after a workout. Otherwise, you might have to consult a doctor. Best of luck
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've gone to look at yr diary but there's nothing noted. He many calories do you eat during the day?
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    What are you doing during your workouts? Type/intensity/duration...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Pregnant?
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Do you have any issues with sinus congestion or sinus pressure? I have terrible chronic sinusitis, always slightly congested, always slight pressure. It often turns to severe pressure/pain or severe congestion. When I'm like that, I can't do much more than a mild walk. I get vertigo, dizzy, nauseated. Sometimes I either vomit or black out. I wonder if something like that might be what's going on?
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'll get sick if I eat up to 3 hours before a vigorous workout.. If I get hungry before working out, I've started eating a serving of clif shot bloks.. I make sure I eat right after I exercise.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    hard to say because you don't record your food...... could be a number of things..... dehydration comes to mind. but also not eating enough or the proper foods.
  • rmd397
    rmd397 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you taking vitamins? Some vitamins can make people sick with or without food, just a thought.
  • heygirl1000
    heygirl1000 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used to get sick during my workouts and my trainer said it was all in my head and then one day I actually vomited right in the gym while with my trainer. I was embarrassed and humiliated. What I found out that there are certain foods like broccoli that you should not eat prior to your work out as it creates gas in your stomach and by working out will not make you feel well.

After we had discussed this and what different foods will do - What has helped me is 6 - 12 almonds 2 hours prior to my workout or lots of water before then I have a small meal when I am done.

You just have to try different things for you!
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Absolutely impossible to tell if you don't log your food. For all we know, you are trying to exercise with not enough fuel, or too much fuel, or the wrong fuel.

Start logging, then come back in a few weeks and ask again. Seriously.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Have you tried training fasted?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Have you tried training fasted?

This is the only way I can do it.....
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i have had this a few different times. Once it was because I wasn't hydrated enough. Another was because I had just eaten and some other times were because of my birth control making my hormones act up (i just recently switched to my now 6th birth control since having my baby-i am hoping to have a good outcome with this one!). I was having severe nausea and stomach aches from it.

I hope you can figure this out :( Vertigo and nausea is no fun and can ruin my motivation in a heart beat.
  • __Jamie__
    __Jamie__ Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Try training while fasted (Don't overdo it! A 30min intense workout should suffice) followed by a fair amount of protein. Avoid any carbs 2-3 hours before a workout & 2-3 hours after. Training while fasted, after a nights sleep for example, will promote FAT burning which is what you should be after if you're looking to lose weight :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you have stomach issues on a regular basis, try adding a probiotic to ensure that you have a healthy balance of bacteria in your gut. If that doesn't help, switch to a diet that is exclusively lean proteins and veggies. Add grains, dairy, wheat, etc back in one at a time to see if something like that is causing your stomach upset.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My stomach has to be Empty before I can workout comfortably.Try that and see how it goes...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've eaten an hour before, 30 min, 15 min... everything.

My stomach is upset on a daily basis (but I never get sick). I've went to the doctor and they haven't been able to tell me anything.
    What kind of exercise and how hard are you pushing yourself?