I love that I can burn 600 calories in an hour

Options
I didn't have much time for the gym today. I was on the treadmill for 20 minutes (I jogged for 6 of those minutes), the elliptical for 20 minutes and the bicycle for 20 minutes. It's a great way to burn major calories in a relatively short amount of time. It's also nice to switch it up so it doesn't get boring.

Replies

• fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know! Isn't it AWESOME! On the nights that I go for my bike ride, I burn 748 in 1 hour! YES!!!!:love:
  • SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    wow really... my asthma screws me up I guess. The most I have done is 400 and thats 15 minutes on the stairmaster (100) and 45 on the treadmill (300). am I doing something wrong? I cant really run or push myself over the limit or my asthma kicks up but I keep my heartrate right around 150 to 170.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    wow really... my asthma screws me up I guess. The most I have done is 400 and thats 15 minutes on the stairmaster (100) and 45 on the treadmill (300). am I doing something wrong? I cant really run or push myself over the limit or my asthma kicks up but I keep my heartrate right around 150 to 170.
    That is a great workout. Calories burned is a function of how much you weigh and body composition, so don't compare yours to someone else's. 400 calories in an hour is a lot, and if your heart rate is 150-170, that's just about right...maybe a little high if you are doing it every day. It's also tough to know exactly what you're burning unless you've had some pretty sophisticated testing; don't trust the gym equipment. Just give it a good effort for an hour a day, and listen to your body. Alternate heavy days/less time with lighter days/longer time, and don't forget to work in rest...that's when your body gets stronger.
  • rpolzin25
    rpolzin25 Posts: 19
    Options

Do you take any medications prior to exercising? Many times a doctor can prescribe rescue inhaler which you can use prior to exercise in order to prevent the asthma from kicking.
  • SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    Thank you I am really really trying.. I throw in taking the kids to the mall for a couple hours a couple times a week and I actually put my son in the carrier and push my daughter in the stroller so I figure that makes up for not being able to run :)

No I dont take any medications. I actually have panic attacks too and with the way inhalers work they make me very shakey and give me a panic attack. I also never really believed in inhalers I feel they are kinda like a crutch and I would rather just retrain my body. At one point in time about 6 years ago I actually practiced and trained myself to be able to run a mile without an attack it took me about a year and I was in good shape at the time so I know this time it will take longer but I am basically trying to do the same thing. But I also just learned from a few trainers that running and jogging is actually really bad for your facial features and your chest. Basically after so much bouncing you will eventually look older at an earlier age. They told me to go with the stairmaster at a very fast rate or an uphill fast paced walk on the treadmill
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    Where are people getting these estimations? The gym equipment is not necessarily accurate. Usually, the machines are calibrated for a 150lb, 25 year old male.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yeah these readings seem like wild overestimates. And it's best to be conservative with calorie estimates, not liberal! I barely burn off over 600 calories when i run for 6mph for an hour. Sure I barely weigh over 130 pounds, so ill burn off less running for whatever distance, but these estimates are nevertheless optimistic to say the least!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I used a couple of online calculators that input my weight, minutes, activity and effort of speed. I don't look at the machine's calculations. I also am on the higher end of my heart rate for most of that time. While it's not precise, MFP and a couple of different calculators is probably a good estimate.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Yeah these readings seem like wild overestimates. And it's best to be conservative with calorie estimates, not liberal! I barely burn off over 600 calories when i run for 6mph for an hour. Sure I barely weigh over 130 pounds, so ill burn off less running for whatever distance, but these estimates are nevertheless optimistic to say the least!

I don't think they're over estimations, I can burn 600 calories (using my HRM) in an hour doing the same thing. I used to get bored quickly so I would hop on the elliptical, bike and treadmill.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thank you I am really really trying.. I throw in taking the kids to the mall for a couple hours a couple times a week and I actually put my son in the carrier and push my daughter in the stroller so I figure that makes up for not being able to run :)

No I dont take any medications. I actually have panic attacks too and with the way inhalers work they make me very shakey and give me a panic attack. I also never really believed in inhalers I feel they are kinda like a crutch and I would rather just retrain my body. At one point in time about 6 years ago I actually practiced and trained myself to be able to run a mile without an attack it took me about a year and I was in good shape at the time so I know this time it will take longer but I am basically trying to do the same thing. But I also just learned from a few trainers that running and jogging is actually really bad for your facial features and your chest. Basically after so much bouncing you will eventually look older at an earlier age. They told me to go with the stairmaster at a very fast rate or an uphill fast paced walk on the treadmill

I totally understand you reservations about some medications, but asthma is potentially life threatening and it's a better idea to have an inhaler and not need it than to need it and not have it. You have just stated that there are instances where you probably need one, when exercising. I don't get panic attacks, but Albuterol gave me that light headed shakey feeling so I wouldn't use my rescue inhaler either. When I told my doc, she prescribed me with a different inhaler that usually doesn't make people feel shakey and I have had no problems with it. I still only use it when I feel like I REALLY need it. It's called levalbuterol, brand name Xopenex. Just thought I'd share in case you want to ask your doctor about it.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    you are right when you use the machines you have to put in your own weight to get a better reading the more you weigh the more calories you burn. At the regular set weight on the treadmill at the gym for 30 minutes I think it was 154 calories when I out in my weight it was 344 calories.
  • osram34
    osram34 Posts: 54
    Options
    estimates or not if you input your weight and your age its pretty close... also portion sizes and nutrionlal label are not accurate they are aproximates as well. so :) just go and give it your all... ive been burning 1250 calories on the eliptical in 70 minutes... after 45 of cardio almost every day for 3 months it was time to increase my time by 25 minutes... feels great........ little by little ull see that you can take on longer cardio sessions just keep on it.

HEAD STRONG TAKE ON ANYONE! ---
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Great work, keep it up!!!! I weigh 195 and I'm 5'6" and burn about 100 cals per 10 min (HRM) on the treadmill or elliptical, so I think it sound great!!! Either way, getting out there and kicking butt like that is good for you. Keep it up!!!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options

Do you set the treadmill at an incline? You might be able to burn more calories walking at your same pace or slightly slower if you up the incline. I always burn more walking on the treadmill with an incline than I do running on the treadmill. I don't know how the incline might affect your asthma, but evena slower walking pace at a steeper incline will boost the number of calories burned.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yeah, love the elliptical. I'll push that hour and rack up a good 600+ cal/burned. Naturally I keep my heart rate betw 150 - 170...

It's gotta be the best workout I can get that's enjoyable and result oriented.:bigsmile:
  • Kristenmickel
    Options
    Thanks for giving me the nice information. It will definitely help me to burn my calories.
    Nice post. Thanks.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Before I started using a good HRM, I had NO idea how many calories I was burning. I now know that I can burn around 750 cals per hour on my road bike, and burn 100 cals every 6 minutes on the eliptical. Once you know your rate of cals burned, you can better estimate total cals burned during your workouts.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    All we're really doing is estimating with the calorie count anyway. Even with a good HRM, and nutriotion labels.

As big as I am, I can burn over 600 calories in a half hour. So someone half my size burning the same amount of calories in twice the time sounds about right.

And as for the asthama. I have asthama too. And while the asthama has got a lot better, the better shape I'm in. If I have trouble breathing, I'd rather be shaky than in the ER getting a breathing treatment (which makes you shaky for days) or worse.
  • jehan
    jehan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I've been trying to look for a thread regarding the overestimation of calories burned using an HRM with a heart strap. So I just got my Timex and I was surprised with the numbers.

So do you think the numbers are way off? I'm 5 ft and weigh around 112. I finished JM's Banish Fat DVD and was shocked to see that I burned 600 calories. The HRM also asked for my weight but not my age. I would like to think that the numbers are sort of accurate but I wouldn't want to go and eat my exercise calories if the numbers are too high.

Thanks.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I've been trying to look for a thread regarding the overestimation of calories burned using an HRM with a heart strap. So I just got my Timex and I was surprised with the numbers.

So do you think the numbers are way off? I'm 5 ft and weigh around 112. I finished JM's Banish Fat DVD and was shocked to see that I burned 600 calories. The HRM also asked for my weight but not my age. I would like to think that the numbers are sort of accurate but I wouldn't want to go and eat my exercise calories if the numbers are too high.

Thanks.

I would not call that an over estimation. I'm assuming that DVD is about an hour long. You're much lighter than me, but if you're not a hard-core athlete it's definately possible. You're body is just not used to that kind of workout. If you're worried about being able to eat the calories or not. Just split the difference. I do that on my strength training days. I burn 415 calories for 55 minutes of strength training but I don't count it.