To run or not?

Options
So...I HATE running. I find it boring (I like to have my mind active, and I find I am so busy fighting to keep going, that I can't really let it wander). I did C25K almost a year ago, got to week 7 (25mins straight running), and did it twice, and then gave up the program because I really hated it....however...over the last several days I am finding myself compelled to go for a run. I don't know why, it's not something I ever enjoyed, but I feel driven to do it. Do I ignore that urge, or give it a try, and if i decide to try, well...how does one run in -25C with snow packed roads?

Replies

• hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot! No harm done. The worst that could happen is that you continue to not do it. You never know. Maybe you'll decide you like it :wink:

ETA: bundle up! it sounds like its cold outside:D
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Do it, listen to your body! You might find if you aren't forcing yourself to run you might actually enjoy it.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Try it. May want to use a treadmill in those temperatures though.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    With thermals and a running jacket. Or a big sweater and a hat. Go for it!!
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    There are times I enjoy running and times I find it boring. In order to enjoy the run I have to envision myself succeeding in some way. Weird maybe but it works. I usually think of myself in a soccer game/hockey game and it pumps me up.
  • gfbrummer
    gfbrummer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    In school I absolutely hated running. And I mean HATED it. Didn't matter what sport I was doing at the time i loathed the running. fast forward 8 years. I decided to jog around the block for some fitness. I found that I actually enjoy it and have actually ran 2 5k races. Give it a try, you might just like it.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    If you think you want to run, you should defintely go for a run. I started running a year and a half ago and HATED it for the first 8 months of it. Now I can't imagine going a week without running 3-4 times. I live in Michigan so understand the cold/snowy road problems. Wear layer so you can peel them off as you get warm (tank top under long sleeve running shirt under running vest under long sleeve zipper jacket). As for the snow you can get a product called yaktrax that strap on to your running shoes to give you traction in the snow.
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running. Today I still hate running. If you are like me you probably don't like the pressure of a structured run. Like running 3 miles per day like some do. That's fine. Make running an enjoyable experience by mixing it up. Some days just run for ten minutes, other days run longer. Just do whatever you feel. When I do ru, it's usually in the winter, when it's warmer I bike. Just put on some thermals and layer some dri-fit clothing with some cotton. You will definitely need gloves and ear muffs.