Feta cheese

Options
sgv0918
sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
I have some to use up & I've only ever had it on salad. Not a huge fan. Anyone have some recipes for me?

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. But I love it on just about everything. Including steak and burgers (no bun) and in my scrambled eggs and pretty much yeah, everything.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I can eat it straight off of the block... MMMMM feta...
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I can eat it straight off of the block... MMMMM feta...

Same.... yummy.

I love it on pita then toasted.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a stronger tasting cheese but I do like it with eggs and tomatoes sort of like a Greek omlette and I do like it crumbled in tiny amounts on salad. But I definitely prefer other cheeses :) Maybe if you don't like it you can share with someone who does at work??
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a Spinach, Tomato, and Feta omelet.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Try dicing up some pears and serving them together, and maybe some almond slivers. It's a nice balance.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Fresh diced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, a pinch of olive oil, and black pepper topped with some feta = mmmmmmm
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Sprinkled on top of chicken breasts. If you use it sparingly the protein of the chicken will cut the flavor some. I also like it with watermelon, but I like to mix savory and sweet things together. Omelets and salad wraps are a good way to go too.
  • LinaS1976
    LinaS1976 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    crumble with semi dried tomatoes, olives and eggs and stuff it in mushrooms
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    mix it with spinach. and if you can get your hands on some, take the spinach and cheese and spread it between phyllo pastry and make spanikopita.

Or, mix it into your ground meat for a tangy burger.

Or blend it with herbs and a little white wine vinegar and olive oil until as smooth as it will get and use as a sauce over lamb, veal or chicken.

Or use a food processor with some olives (kalamata or black), oregano, maybe some pine nuts, and use as a spread on crackers.

All sorts of things you can do with feta.
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I butterfly a chicken breast and then stuff it with feta, spinach & sundried tomatoes. Put it in the oven & bake - yumm
  • babsc01
    babsc01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Add mushrooms and salsa, and you've got a winner!
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just made a Portobella Mushroom Pasta and had feta crumbled on top. It is a Molly McButter recipe from several years ago. Basically it is chicken broth with Mcbutter and some garlic ( I throw in some basil paste too) add 6 oz of mushrooms. Reduce to half on a simmer. Add strips of roasted red bell and then add about 1/2 pkg of cooked linguini. Toss and add feta crumbles on top. Makes about 8 cups and 1 cup serving is 120 cal with 2.5 g fat.
  • in4profit
    Options
    Make a feta,mushroom,onion and spinach pizza.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Add mushrooms and salsa, and you've got a winner!

Okay, I'm making this after my next trip to the grocery store. Sounds soooo good!
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Feta and watermelon salad

Little cubes of feta
    Larger cubes of watermelon
    Some torn basil leaves
    Lemon juice or balsamic vinegar
    Olive oil
    Honey
    A little dried oregano

Combine first three ingredients in bowl. Make a dressing with last four ingredients, use to dress the salad.

Feta scrambled eggs

Olive oil
    Feta in little cubes
    Eggs, beaten

Brush a frying pan with oil. Gently sautee cubes for a few minutes. Add beaten eggs and scramble to desired consistency. Serve with wholegrain toast.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I love feta.. I could eat it on anything almost.

But I love it with Chicken breast. I sometimes mix it with Bacon, maybe spinach and stuff it in a chicken breast, or even just bake it on top. YUMM!
  • sgv0918
    Options
    good ideas - gonna try an omelette 1st. Anybody ever throw it in a lasagna type dish
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    SO YUMMY!

I love it on salads, but also spinach stuffed chicken breast and omelettes and beef dishes.
  • sgv0918
    Options
    omelette today and skinnytaste lemon feta chicken tonight