Will having a glass of wine everyday effect my weightloss?

Options
That glass of red wine in the evenings keeps me sane! Not sure if I should give it up or not?

Replies

• vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    if it's putting you over your calories then it's a bad idea.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'd say so long as it fits into your calories. Go for it. If you will have to work out a little bit to earn the calories for that glass to fit in your calories, then I'd view it as a reward. :)
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I will say this, you can enjoy a glass of wine every night, but if you are working on fat loss, then you will need to up the calories in exercise to keep a deficit. If a glass of wine is 300 calories, then going out for an extra 30-45 minutes of exercises will keep you on point. If you don't want to up the exercise and keep the wine too, then just be ready for the results of that choice as well :-)
  • ashsec
    ashsec Posts: 16
    Options
    I think my glass is usually between 150 and 200 I drink dry red wines!
  • shandi_b
    shandi_b Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't have a glass of wine every night, but do every 2nd or 3rd night (nearly always on a Friday night!). I just make sure it fits in with my calorie allowance for the day. I've been successful so far. I've set MFP for a slow loss of 1 lb a week and so far I've been able to fit in the odd chocolate bar or glass of red and not feel hungry or deprived. :)
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    work it into ur day & carry on, if that is something that u never intend on giving up, you have the answer.
  • StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    Options
    If you are in the fat burning state then your body will switch from burning fat to burning the alcohol sugars as soon as you drink the wine. A 200 calorie glass of wine, therefore, will stop your body from burning 200 calories of fat that day so your net total "hit" will be about 1400 calories per week, or just under 1/2 a pound per week of fat that you WOULD have lost, but didn't.

It is all about choices. If that glass of wine keeps you sane and from diving in to the snickers bar, then I don't see it as a bad idea.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have wine with dinner on average 4-5 nights a week. It hasn't hurt my weight loss any. I do exercise a lot though!
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I usually have either 1 beer or 5oz of wine every day, and I'm losing weight.
    Just make sure to log it.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'll give my daily red up only when you prize the glass out of my cold, dead, hand.

Which could be Wednesday, given my intake.

When the thought crosses my mind that maybe, just maybe, my progress to good health and, more importantly, looking better nekkid would be better without my daily indulgence I re-read this here article on the interwebz and walk on safe in the knowledge that there are worse things to be doing:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

This is, without doubt, the beshtest thing on the Internet, amusing cats excluded.

This thought dares to enter my head around 3 times a year and each time it gets shorter and shorter, one day I will prevail and banish it to the hills in exile forever.

To answer the question ... Yeh it probably will, like everything else but hey, you gotta live right?

Chin chin :)
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    4 oz glass of red wine is anywhere from 90 - just over 100 calories...very easy to work into your daily caloric intake...go for it.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Of course you can drink it! Just be sure to log it in your food count. You'll see that you can adjust other aspects of your daily food intake and exercise to make sure there is room to include it. But you have to do the work to make it fit.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I drink very regularly. A glass of wine or a bottle of beer 3 or 4 evenings a week. I lose 8-9 pounds a month. Every month. Nothing is 'off limits' for me. I don't follow any silly 'rules'. I count cals and I move my *kitten*. :D I only have 12 pounds left to lose.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead for such things and work them in my daily calorie limit and macro balance.
    Life is still to be lived.
    I give up NOTHING :drinker:
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Not if it fits within your cals and your macros, if you're worried about that, then portion control is key here. There is also evidence suggesting that an antioxidant in red wine promotes heart health.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-wine/HB00089
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    I'll give my daily red up only when you prize the glass out of my cold, dead, hand.

Which could be Wednesday, given my intake.

When the thought crosses my mind that maybe, just maybe, my progress to good health and, more importantly, looking better nekkid would be better without my daily indulgence I re-read this here article on the interwebz and walk on safe in the knowledge that there are worse things to be doing:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

This is, without doubt, the beshtest thing on the Internet, amusing cats excluded.

This thought dares to enter my head around 3 times a year and each time it gets shorter and shorter, one day I will prevail and banish it to the hills in exile forever.

To answer the question ... Yeh it probably will, like everything else but hey, you gotta live right?

Chin chin :)

Awwww - I so wanted to read that link but I can't open it! In total agreement.....my cold dead hands. Which should be a while since red wine is good for the heart! Lol
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Girl, just budget a glass into your calories for the day :)

I do and still lose!
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you are in the fat burning state then your body will switch from burning fat to burning the alcohol sugars as soon as you drink the wine. A 200 calorie glass of wine, therefore, will stop your body from burning 200 calories of fat that day so your net total "hit" will be about 1400 calories per week, or just under 1/2 a pound per week of fat that you WOULD have lost, but didn't.
    Source?
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm wine.

i haven't given it up either. i still lost weight.
  • nursenatters
    nursenatters Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I will say this, you can enjoy a glass of wine every night, but if you are working on fat loss, then you will need to up the calories in exercise to keep a deficit. If a glass of wine is 300 calories, then going out for an extra 30-45 minutes of exercises will keep you on point. If you don't want to up the exercise and keep the wine too, then just be ready for the results of that choice as well :-)

What wine are you drinking that is 300 calories a glass???!!! I hope it has chocolate or some sort of heavy cream included!