too much water?

Options
i know that there's such a thing as water weight - does that mean that when i am drinking 10-14 water bottles per day at 16.9 oz each, that I am actually restricting my ability to lose weight?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Water actually flushes out extra weight. Some things like sodium make it harder for our bodies to do that, which is why we hang onto water weight.....

Wait, I'm confused too. I'm interested in knowing the answer as well!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You don't retain water because you drank too much, it's the opposite of that. Drink plenty of water and keep your sodium in check and you'll be fine. When people refer to water weight on this site they usually mean the normal daily fluctuations in weight that have nothing to do with fat.
  • kaffane
    Options
    Thanks for the insight!
    I have to work on keeping my sodium in check - fairly certain that's where this plateau is coming from...
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    to reduce water weight you actually have to drink more water.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    i know that there's such a thing as water weight - does that mean that when i am drinking 10-14 water bottles per day at 16.9 oz each, that I am actually restricting my ability to lose weight?

that doesn't cause water weight, but why are you drinking so much water? that sounds excessive to me. i'm no expert though.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    It will help your body reduce water weight. Without enough water intake your body will begin to store it.

At worse you will have to pee like a race horse.
  • jmcivor777
    Options
    That does sound like too much water. Recent research suggests that most people can get all the water they need from the foods they eat if 1) these foods are low in sodium and 2) they eat lots of leafy greens/veggies/and fruit. 1-2 cups a day more to be safe. Too much water can strain your kidneys and create electrolyte imbalances. When you take in too much sodium, your body pulls water from your diet to compensate -hence water weight.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    That does sound like too much water. Recent research suggests that most people can get all the water they need from the foods they eat if 1) these foods are low in sodium and 2) they eat lots of leafy greens/veggies/and fruit. 1-2 cups a day more to be safe. Too much water can strain your kidneys and create electrolyte imbalances. When you take in too much sodium, your body pulls water from your diet to compensate -hence water weight.

^^^^
    This. There's no need to consume large amounts of water and if you are craving that much water I'd suggest seeing a doctor to rule out diabetes.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    That's actually the opposite of how it works. Drinking too LITTLE water leads to water retention and "water weight" gain. Paradoxically, the only way your body will get rid of water is if you give it more. However, 5-7 liters of water per day is excessive. Unless you're secretly running a few marathons every day, you do not need that much water; see a doctor. Excessive thirst can be a sign of diabetes. Most people need about 2 liters of water per day, more if they're very active.
  • kaffane
    Options
    I don't drink that much every day - just the couple of nights a week a work the third shift at a hotel. Typically I drink 8 - 10, 16 oz H2O bottles per day...Guess I should've clarified that first. It's free for me at the hotel, and I'm trying to cut down on diet soda and caffeine, so I've been drinking water...
    I also know that H2O helps with hunger and the days when I work 3rd shift but worked 1st shift in the morning as a school teacher, it's harder for me to stay on track with my calorie goal, so that is part of what I'm facing - sugarless gum and water bottles get me through the 3rd shift on friday and saturday nights lol