is this even possible?

ekeffler
ekeffler Posts: 2
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
heyy!
okay so lost weight and then gained it again.. ugh.
and i was wondering if it is possible to lose seven to ten pounds in one month (first week of may-ish) ((i started refocusing myself at the beginning of april))
a little backgound on my situation--i eat 1200 a day and sometimes i eat my exercise calories other times i don't. i will eat some of them if it leaves my net calories under 1000 or so. i'm a eighteen and i'm about 127 lbs now and i want to be 120-ish. if i exercise five to six times a week (cardio and weight training) and watch what i eat very very closley do you think this is reasoanble goal?

i have been on myfitnesspal a while and read the posts, but never actually posted
thanks for the replies! i appreciate it a bunch!!

Replies

• carp68
    carp68 Posts: 42
    I lost 27 pounds in a month at the beginning, but then I weighed 3 times as much as you do now...:smile:
  • if you train hard mate, and do running, for 30 mins or more, and keep your calories in check, the weight will fly off mate, 0running is your best exercise to shed ya weight and tone ya muscles up
  • hkcorman
    hkcorman Posts: 3
    I am the same as carp. I lost 7 pounds in my first week out - - however I had a bunch more to loose than you. But you can do it absolutely!
  • ekeffler
    ekeffler Posts: 2
    ahh thanks so much! i really appreciate the time and positivity!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Up to 2 pounds a week is possible and at times I even lost more. At that time I was a bit far away from my goal though. It depends on how close you are to your "ideal" weight. People in a healthy weight range have a slower time losing than people in the overweight or obese categories. But I would give it my all! I think you'd only need like 1.5 lbs a week to get to the 7 loss. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, drink lots of water, stay away from sodium and hit the gym!
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    ComfortFoodAddict Posts: 278 Member
    First off... if you want to lose the weight you need to eat more.... You said you are only getting 1000-1200 calories a day? You should be getting AT LEAST 1200! Below that your body goes into stravation mode. And you should be eating back your exercise calories... at least most of them. Otherwise your body is not getting what it needs to recover from the exercise. How tall are you?
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    We have the same weight loss goal! =) I am at 125/126 and I want to be at 120. You need to eat back your exercise calories and eat every 2-3 hrs. My snacks are based on protein. You should eat at least half of your body weight in grams of lean protein. I say, at our stage, it would be difficult to lose 10lbs that quickly. Usually the last 10 take the longest. Change up your fitness routine, throw in some spin classes and running and trying lifting a little heavier weights for 1 of your sets. Keep your sugary snacks to a minimum and stick to high protein, high fiber and complex carbs. I'd like to be 120 by the end of May. So, we're in the same boat!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Someone looking to go from 127 to 120 should NOT be looking to lose 7 to 10 lbs in one month. That's between just under 2 lbs a week to about 2.5 a week, for the HUGE majority of people that close to their goal weight, you should expect nothing more than 1/2 lb per week average, and for most 1/4 lb a week is more realistic.

NOTE that I'm only talking about people close to their goal, I.E. within 15 lbs or so of their goal, while it's reasonable and usually quite achievable to do 2 plus pound a week when you have 50 or 60 or 70 lbs to lose, it's not so easy to do when you are looking to drop 10 lbs.
  • coold
    coold Posts: 85
    good stuff!!!! i'm pushing forty this year and am 137 right now..want to get back to my 120's!!!! was wondering about eating back my exercise calories or not...i was leaving them hanging!!! yay!!!

thanks for the tips!!! i won't feel guilty eating chips ahoy right now!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Someone looking to go from 127 to 120 should NOT be looking to lose 7 to 10 lbs in one month. That's between just under 2 lbs a week to about 2.5 a week, for the HUGE majority of people that close to their goal weight, you should expect nothing more than 1/2 lb per week average, and for most 1/4 lb a week is more realistic.

NOTE that I'm only talking about people close to their goal, I.E. within 15 lbs or so of their goal, while it's reasonable and usually quite achievable to do 2 plus pound a week when you have 50 or 60 or 70 lbs to lose, it's not so easy to do when you are looking to drop 10 lbs.

Banks is correct it took me 5 months to lose 5 pounds. Having a small amount of weight to lose equals a longer time of trying to get it off. Obese and overweight people have a easier time losing the weight in large amounts because their bodies are able to shed weight because they do not 'need' to store the fat. Once you're in a healthy weight range it gets harder to lose the weight. You should focus on being healthy and eating properly...not about the scale when it's only vanity pounds. Clothes fitting better is a much better indicater of health than a scale.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Yes, Banks is right!

It is a much slower process at this point in weight loss. You'll get there. I'd like to be 120 by the end of May, but if I'm not I know that I'm working out hard, toning and losing body fat. That's more important than a number on the scale. (although the number 120 is still my goal)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    It took me 3 months to get from 120 pounds to 105 pounds, doing rigerous exercise and really watching what I ate. I probably ate around 1000 calories per day. Trust me, I didn't go into starvation mode. I was already small to begin with (but chubbier than I wanted to be). You being as small as you are should be able to eat around 1000 a day without issues. Just choose foods wisely. Now to say 7-10 pounds in one month, that is probably unrealistic. Even if you did extreme measures it would be water weight and not fat. Do it in a slower pattern and it should drop off within a few months. :)) Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.