spin off of helmets

Options
I realize snowmachines and bikes are a world apart right down to the helmets.
My son was in a accident on our snow machine friday night he survived thanks to his helmet
The helmet was toast cracked up the front below the visor vent holes in the back riped of.
arm broken twice stitches up front of leg from ankle to the knee (many layers of clothes helped save the leg)
both shoulders dislocated.
Helmet smashed when he hit a sign pole after hitting an unmarked 4x4 block of concrete.
NO damage to head neck or back no internal bleeding.
the helmet and the proper riding gear for the sport saved his life literaly

Wear a helmet and the right gear no matter WHAT your sport is it could literaly save your life.

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this - I hear you.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My son got his first dirt bike at 10 and my rule was if your butt is on the bike the helmet is on your head or the bike is gone. At 18 he flipped it over backwards and somehow managed to take the end of the handlebar through the eye slit of a full face helmet. Smashed his cheek and laid his nose over onto his cheek but the doctors said without the helmet he probably would have broken his neck or crushed the back of his skull. He still does stupid things on his bike at 30 but he always has a helmet on!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    All the gear, all the time - that's our rule for our dirt bikes!

Crazy stuff - glad your kids are okay after those accidents!

My nephew is a cyclist (rides for Team Specialized - yay!), and his bike helmet saved him from serious injury after tangling with a car that turned in front of him on a practice ride - the paramedics were VERY impressed with the helmet and how well it protected his noggin.
  • buglet55
    buglet55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've never understood why people don't wear helmets. NEVER. Just this past weekend I was snowboarding, took a big ol'fall, hit the back of my head hard, and gave my self a concussion. If I didn't have a helmet on I would probably be in the hospital right now. And I always wear one while riding my bike, or my super awesome 90's style aggressive rollerblades in the skate park (and laugh at the the ridiculous skateboarders who think they are too cool and do not wear their helmets. A helmet on your head is better than brains on the sidewalk, I always say.)