Kelp and L-Tyrosine for Metabolic Issues

Options
I have been right on the border of hypothyroidism for a few years so my doctor will not give me meds since it is only borderline. I have had ALL the chronic symptoms of someone with hypothyroidism (look them up if you want).

Anyway, I researched a bit and started taking Kelp (for the Iodine) and L-Tyrosine (amino acid) pills this past week and I feel MUCH BETTER. Anyone else out there with the similar problem?

What do you do for your Hypothyroidism that you have noticed has helped?

Replies

• Missyann68
    Missyann68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am have hypothyroidism and I also take L-Tyrosine. I also take Eleuthero and B-12. I can really tell the difference if I don't take them. I am also on Synthoid. I think I will add Kelp to my regimen. Thanks for the post!!
  • oliviamariex
    Options
    Nice! I haven't heard of it but will have to look into the Eleuthero. And I too take B-12. It does help soo much, expecially with my energy levels
  • chris745
    Options
    There has been some research, although more needs to be done, regarding the impact that fluoride can have on the entire endocrine system, including of course the thyroid. One of the effects of fluoride is that it can interfere with the balance in the thyroid of iodine, which the body cannot manufacture itself but which needs to be obtained by diet. We get iodine primarily from saltwater fish and seaweed (such as kelp) and there are trace elements of it in grains. It is also added to table (iodised) salt but of course we are all being told to reduce our intake of salt. So our iodine deficiency is now quite high, especially if your local authority adds fluoride to your tap water, and it's added to your toothpastes.

Kelp or any of the seaweeds are a fantastic way of increasing the iodine in your diet - think sushi! With the radiation fall-out from Fukushima following the earthquake and tsunami in 2011, scientists did find that there was a marked increase in the radioactive levels in the kelp beds in California. However the authorities have been monitoring levels, and as long as you ensure you purchase from a reputable source, all should be well. Just be careful about how much iodine you do take - worth checking with your doctor.

But at the same time as looking at your iodine intake, also consider how much fluoride you are exposed to - well worth researching there too!

I'm really new to MFP as you can see, but am impressed by alll the knowledge there is within the community. (Mine comes because I have a healthfood shop in the UK!)

Good luck!