Waist size

Options

Replies

• scotrunner
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says measure waist at your narrowest point. On a similar note I measure hips as my widest - round your buttocks!

12263807.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    my waist is a 27 and i wear size 2/26 - and sometimes 0s (just depends). 34 bust and 32 hips.

we are all just so different and unique!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as normal. Google pics of girls in swimsuits. Some have waists, some are still toned / thin and look like a straight line from under the breasts straight down to hips. Everyone is built differently. Can't change that basic shape...
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist between the bottom of my sternum and my belly button.

Everyone is different, indeed. My waist is 30, my abdomen (belly button) is 32 and hips/toosh is 40. My jeans vary from size 6-10 depending on brand, fabric ratio (stretch) etc.

Holy %$^& I've been measuring my waist wrong all this time. :(
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist between the bottom of my sternum and my belly button.

Everyone is different, indeed. My waist is 30, my abdomen (belly button) is 32 and hips/toosh is 40. My jeans vary from size 6-10 depending on brand, fabric ratio (stretch) etc.

Holy %$^& I've been measuring my waist wrong all this time. :(
    So have I, but it works out better the new way.
  • Devil6972
    Devil6972 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    These are my specs too...But because I have thick hips and thighs...jeans shopping can be frustrating..
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I have 24.5 - 25 inch waist with 33 - 34 inch hips and I wear size 24. Size 0 for the most part are loose on me. Hard to find size 0 that fit right.

When my waist was around 27 - 28, I was a size 6-8
  • shockingpink33
    shockingpink33 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm an associate fashion designer and part of my job is writing specs for clothing. Very few pants are designed to sit on your natural waist. Most pants sit on your low waist or high hip, so this may be why you can wear a size 0 (because you are a size 0 at your hips).

Clothing is also designed to fit a standard of a 10" differential from waist to hip. You can be a size 0 bottom and a size 8 top.

The measurement of our size Medium/ size 8 fit model are as follows:
    waist:29
    hip:39

Size small/ size 4 fit model:
    waist:27
    hip: 37

My waist is 12" smaller than my hips and I'm really short, so depending on the silhouette, some clothing doesn't fit me well at all.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I'm an associate fashion designer and part of my job is writing specs for clothing. Very few pants are designed to sit on your natural waist. Most pants sit on your low waist or high hip, so this may be why you can wear a size 0 (because you are a size 0 at your hips).

Clothing is also designed to fit a standard of a 10" differential from waist to hip. You can be a size 0 bottom and a size 8 top.

The measurement of our size Medium/ size 8 fit model are as follows:
    waist:29
    hip:39

Size small/ size 4 fit model:
    waist:27
    hip: 37

My waist is 12" smaller than my hips and I'm really short, so depending on the silhouette, some clothing doesn't fit me well at all.

Interesting information
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My waist is 23 inches, my hips/butt is 34 inches. I wear size 00, and sometimes I need to get the waist made smaller.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I'm intruiged to know what your other vital stats are because mine are;

and according to various bf online calculations, my bf if 23.7% (taking my thin neck and wrists into consideration as well).

I am a UK size 10.

^ Mine are similar and I am a US/Canadian size 4 or 6
    I could never fit in a 2 or 0!!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My waist (at the smallest part) is 24.5, hips 34.5, but I'm short-waisted and very few things fit me. I wear a 0 or 2 in jeans, 2 or 4 in most suits, 0 in dresses.
  • MbiggsHFD319
    MbiggsHFD319 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It has nothing really to do with waist size. Womens jeans sizes vary by brand and price. Usually the more expensive jeans will run bigger and the less expensive are more true to size. With that said I have many pair of size 26 Miss Me and other higher priced jeans ($100+) and then the other day I went to Rue 21 and bought their $39.00 jeans and had to buy size 1/2 (smallest size I have ever purchased ever) and the waist & hips are loose on me. I am not sure what my waist measures right now but I know it is at least 28 or 30. I am only 5'4" tall; my weight varies between 125 & 130 pounds, and my body fat percentage is still a bit higher than i would like but I am pretty much built like a guy, small hips, no butt, not really a true waist and rather wide shoulder. I say don't worry about sizes just use them as a guide and always try on jeans before you buy them.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    where are you measuring your waist?

my waist size will never ever be a factor in my pant size because my waist is right under my boobs (i have a really short waist) and i'd never wear pants that high
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    lol... my waist is 28 in. and I am about a size 8 - so I have no idea how someone can fit into a size 0 with a 28 in. waist. Maybe you're thinking hips?

I don't think so. I measure my waist right over my belly button.

I measure my waist at it's natural nip-in, which is a good deal above my belly button. My natural waist is 33.5" and I wear a size 14, or 33-34 in pants.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I have a 26 5/8 natural waist, but I wear a size 6, almost a 4. It's about body type. Not everyone is capable of having a small waist, depends of ur bone structure.
  • abbyface
    Options
    My waist is 25" and my hips are 35" but I can wear anything from a size 0-4 (or 25-27) depending on the brand and the cut of the pants.

I imagine waist size is actually not all that useful for most jeans nowadays, since very few actually hit your true waist and different designers will base their measurements off of different proportions. If anything, your hip measurement is more important than your waist. Women with wide hips are going to need bigger jeans than what their waist would suggest.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Quick question....I'm a bit baffled and hopefully I can get closure on this. My waist is a 30.5 and I am 5'3" and weigh 115 lbs. I can wear size 0 pants. (Not bragging) How is it that a lot of women have a 28 in. waist and fit in a size 0 w/t them falling off? My BF percentage is about 16 or 17. I'm not complaining about a 30.5 in waist, but it just seems like 28 is the 'ideal' waist size. That just can't be because people aren't the same height or have the same build or bone size. Ugh. I think I'll just be happy with 30.5. Just wondering what a normal waist size is.

I say, be happy with what you’re happy with. And, a size 0 is small, one would think your waist would be smaller than a 30.5......however, everyone is different and structured different. Congrats on your achievements thus far hunni...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist at the slimmest point, which is just above my belly button. I guess it is right at the mid point between my breasts and where my hips begin. If I measured higher or lower, it would be bigger by at least a couple inches (the place where my bra goes is a couple inches bigger than my waist.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    My hips are a 34 so I guess that factors in too.

My waist is 25.5 and my hips 34.5 - I'm a size 8 (UK) 4 (US) - wouldn't be able to get anywhere near a size 0

ETA - The above measurement is my natural waist (smallest point) - measuring over my navel it's 27"
    But as said above by many, everyone's body is different.