Iced Tea vs. Water?

Options
They say that caffeine helps keep your metabolism up so if someone were to drink iced tea through out the day rather that water would this help in weight loss? I am just curious as to what everyone's opinion would be. Has anyone tried this?

Replies

• bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Iced tea has calories whereas water has zero calories. So it doesn't make sense that iced tea would help you lose weight -- unless you feel so much more energized that you are exercising more or moving a lot more in general.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Iced tea has calories whereas water has zero calories. So it doesn't make sense that iced tea would help you lose weight -- unless you feel so much more energized that you are exercising more or moving a lot more in general.
    It does? Plain iced tea with no sweeteners added to it? I think not.

To the OP - I drink a ton of both iced tea and coffee. Caffeine is a mild stimulant, but it's not going to significantly affect your weight loss. If you drink it because you like it, there's nothing wrong with that - but don't expect miracles from the caffeine effect.
  • FitHolly8
    FitHolly8 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Water is always best! I like to add lemon juice to warm water every morning and then drink Iced water throughout the day. My favorite drink on earth. Lol!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I alternate plain ice tea and water throughout the day. I drink a glass of water before I have my first cup of coffee in the morning. My way of balancing it all out. ..
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Like a healthy salad...coffees and teas are great...until one starts adding all the "dressings"

edit: but water rocks the house and is mostly what I drink..at least 64 oz. a day
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    All iced teas are not the same. You need to look at what it contains.

If you mean a tea that you have brewed yourself, and then serve chilled, with no added milk or flavourings or sweeteners, then it's going to have very few calories (maybe not zero, but 2-3, so negligible)

If you mean a bottle of something that you bought in a store labelled "iced tea" then chances are it will have calories, sugar, and a whole lot of other additives.

If you mean a Long Island Iced Tea then get round to my place asap!
  • ButterflyJourney
    ButterflyJourney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Whether you drink iced tea or water it doesn't matter. 0 calories either way. But if you add anything to either, that is where the cals come in. Try green tea (brewed). It is good for weight loss. I buy Tazo green tea.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine either way as long as you aren't adding sweeteners. I drink a lot of green tea just to change things up from water.

That being said, the small amounts of caffeine in tea aren't going to have much effect on weight loss.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    All iced teas are not the same. You need to look at what it contains.

If you mean a tea that you have brewed yourself, and then serve chilled, with no added milk or flavourings or sweeteners, then it's going to have very few calories (maybe not zero, but 2-3, so negligible)

If you mean a bottle of something that you bought in a store labelled "iced tea" then chances are it will have calories, sugar, and a whole lot of other additives.

If you mean a Long Island Iced Tea then get round to my place asap!

Haha, I like the way you think! Yes, I agree that IF the OP is talking about plain iced tea that's home-brewed with no added sweeteners, then of course it will have zero calories and will have the same caloric effect as plain water. But bottled iced tea and other commercial iced tea almost alway has added stuff, and the calories sure add up!
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Tea contains caffeine, which acts as a diuretic and not as hydrating. Better if you would go with green tea.