New here - would like some advice

Options
Hello everyone! I'm so glad I found a community online that can help me with my fitness goals. I figured I'd introduce myself. My name is Bob and I'm 26 years old. I work at a desk for 12 hours a day since June. Needless to say, I put on weight fairly quickly. Before my desk job, I was working in a restaurant and was on my feet all day, every day. The change of pace in my work definitely added to my weight gain.

I would like some advice from fellow community members if possible. I am joining a gym that operates 24 hours a day, 5 days a week. I needed this option considering I work overnight and am basically nocturnal from my job. I would like to get an idea of certain workouts, or how long I should be working out (cardio, weights, etc). Having said this, I am only able to work out a limited amount due to my job. With 12 hour shifts, and an hour commute each way, working out on days I work is rather impossible considering I have things at home to consider - like eating, food shopping, showering, bills - etc. I have about 10 hours of free time during a typical work (which includes sleep). Like I said, i plan on working out on my days off.

I was also curious about any dietary ideas that people would have. It's hard to find something that works completely considering most diet plans contain foods I can't have or that I am allergic to. I am moderately lactose intolerant (I can have very little lactose without being sick). I am also allergic to banana, kiwi, and avocado. This can make things difficult.

If anybody has advice or input, I would love to hear it! I am looking forward to getting myself back in shape and feeling great. Add me if you'd like! :happy: Hope to hear from you soon!

Replies

• marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    Ah, so jealous of you having a 24 hour gym! Welcome to MFP.

I started out doing about 1 hour a day, though I should have done weights as well as cardio and now regret not doing that from the beginning. So, maybe 1 hour of cardio+weights a day, about 4/5 days a week?

My boyfriend is lactose intolerant and he's found loads of really good soy products. His ice cream is particularly good. Apples are my favourite fruit, and raisins. If you're dodgy with fruit, try to have plenty of veggies?
  • yourdownfall27
    yourdownfall27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I have found some non-dairy items at the grocery store -- Tonight (my grocery store is also 24hours) I found lactose free yogurt! Score!! I didn't even bother looking at the nutritional value of it - I was just excited that I actually found Lactose free... We'll see how good it actually tastes... and I'm a little nervous to see how bad it is actually for you!! lol Besides that, I stocked up on veggies, nuts, and healthier lunch options for my meals at work.

My first day at the gym is going to be on Wednesday to work around my work schedule. We'll see how that goes. Thanks for the input! Wish me luck!! :tongue:
  • mshigginbothamifyahnasty
    Options
    WELL MY NAME IS AJAMARA 22 YEARS OLD AND I AM A SUBSTITUTE TEACHER AND I DONT GET TO WORK SO OFTEN SO THAT IS HY I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT IM SUPER EXCITED BUT ALSO NERVOUS ITS A CONSTANT BATTLE WITH MY WEIGHT. I HAVE BEEN DATING MY HANDSOME BF MIKE FOR ALMOST THREE YEARS AND ITS LIKE IM CONSTANTLY INSECURE BECAUSE HE IS SO HANDSOME AND I FEEL UNATTRACTIVE BECAUSE OF THIS WEIGHT..HE ALWAYS TELLS ME HE DOESNT MIND MY WEIGHT BUT IM VERY UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THIS WEIGHT. I HAVE GAINED OVER 100 LBS ITS SCARY...SORRY TO POUR MY HEART OUT BUT IF I CAN GET ANY ADVICE ON WEIGHT LOSS PLEASE HELP GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE