Tattoo reward for goal weight

Options
As I will be turning in less than three months, I was thinking about rewarding my weight loss with a tattoo. I've seen ideas all over the Internet, but the two that stick out in my mind came from other posts on this website: a dandelion with seeds floating away for each 5 lbs I have lost, or the word 'fly' (finally loving yourself). I fully intend on putting the tattoo in a concealed place for future career purposes. However, I have had several older family friends cautioning me on my decision to get this tattoo for a few reasons. First, they say I'm too young and may regret getting a tattoo when I'm older. Then they mention that because I am so young, I have plenty of time to put the weight back on, thus ruining the meaning behind the tattoo in the first place. But when I achieve my goal weight, I'm hoping that this tattoo will be a constant reminder to be healthy and make smart lifestyle decisions, thereby avoiding tremendous weight gain in the future. I need opinions from others going through this difficult journey with me, and I would appreciate any input, either positive or negative! Thanks!

Replies

• TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    So I'm covered in tattoos. From my head to my calves! Spend some time really thinking about it, it seems meaningful and has a story...that will never change. How can you regret a reminder of a positive change in your health? Most of mine have no meaning at all and sometimes they are spur of the moment. Will I regret them? Doubtful because they tell my story. They are a timeline of my life, things I love now, things I loved then, all kinds of stuff.

Don't let what those older people said bother you, it is your body. As long as you have it placed some where that won't hurt a career choice do what you feel is right. My grandfather was decorated in some original sailor jerry art and if he had a problem with my tattoos he never said anything.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    From an "older person" :laugh: I say go for it! You won't regret it. I didn't start getting tattoos until my late 30's and I don't regret them. I have one that reminds me of my weight loss journey and as I'm approaching my 46th birthday I'm looking to get a tattoo in memory of my mom that passed 3 years ago.
  • kazdav
    kazdav Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ok controversial. Don't do it, you have beautiful skin, don't ruin it. Think of what that tattoo will look like when you are old and wrinkly. Sorry I just think tattoos are chavvy, same goes for piercings. How about rewarding yourself with a bracelet, like pandora and with each significant milestone reward yourself with a charm.
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Tats are increasingly common; according to Pew, 36% of U.S. adults 18-25 have at least one tattoo. However, of those who have a tattoo, 17% have some regret after getting it.

The tough part about getting a tat now is that like a new pair of heels or a sexy leather jacket, it will likely go out of style at some point. I know the dandelion design you're talking about, and think it looks awesome, but later on you might feel embarrassed that you put something on your body that was all over Pinterest in 2012.

Another thing to consider is what you want to say to people who ask about your tattoo. If it's at least occasionally visible, people will think of it as fair game for conversation. One of my friends has the word "water" tattooed on the inside of her wrist and though it was incredibly meaningful for her at the time she got it, now she feels kind of stupid explaining her college-girl motivations.

I'm not saying don't get a tat, but I am encouraging you to think through it. I have too many friends with out-of-style tats or tats that are no longer meaningful to them. There are lots of ways to mark an occasion; tats are just one of them.

(And if you think you'll ever want to get it removed in the future, then stick with black ink. Colors are hard to remove.)
  • TheConsciousFoody
    Options
    Ok controversial. Don't do it, you have beautiful skin, don't ruin it. Think of what that tattoo will look like when you are old and wrinkly. Sorry I just think tattoos are chavvy, same goes for piercings. How about rewarding yourself with a bracelet, like pandora and with each significant milestone reward yourself with a charm.

In all honesty.. what will your skin look like when you're older? We all will get saggy. A wrinkle and a sag is just that, having a tattoo isn't going to change the fact that old people sag and wrinkle. It is close minded people like this that annoy the crap out of me. Seriously. How is getting a tattoo RUINING skin? Do you go out in the sun? Do you have any idea what that exposure does to precious skin? Have an opinion but try not to be ignorant.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I want to get the one on my ticker. got tats so far, started at 16 and i'll be 24 on Saturday. For me, the one on my ticker is a rib cage, and you have to be in very good shape to get one.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The four I have were all for specific reasons, and all are easily covered by a t-shirt. If you want one, get it! But make it something that is meaningful to you and will remain meaningful to you.
  • Maidofmer
    Options
    601609_10151264896458856_198518434_n.jpg

totally badass
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Above my 54 year old fiber eating bod above my *kitten*, "Exit Only".
  • Maidofmer
    Options

lol
  • TheConsciousFoody
    Options
    Argh how do I add pictures instead of links!!!
  • BigDnSW
    Options

totally badass

Obviously the pic was majorly photoshopped...get real...
  • BigDnSW
    Options

lol

I am not gender/sexual preference biased, but for me...better than "Men At Work". However...
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have 3 massive tattoos. Back, forearm, leg. I love them all...but I regret 2/3 of them! :D Every one of them also had meaning attached to it.

The reason WHY i regret them is because 2/3 of them had a ****ty artist to it...so FIND A GOOD ARTIST! DONT SETTLE AND DONT GET IMPATIENT! Though all of them have potential to be fixed up and look amazing, I have not made it a priority.

The funny thing is...even though I regret these tattoos - if some crazy guy came and cut off my skin with my tattoos on them, I would immediately go get them replaced. They truly became a part of me. Old people can be just that - old, traditional, closed minded. We do not live in the 1930's anymore, so we can move past that - tattoos are becoming increasingly more common, more beautiful, and more accepted by everyone. No one's parents want their kids to get tattoos. As for the comment about saggy, gross skin when you age - this is true. So either way - we are all going to look like crap. :D Don't live life focusing on when you are 60,70,80 years old - Live life focused on the NOW! The young, at your best. :)

Oh yeah - so I have a giant treble clef on my forearm...I have heard the comment at least a thousand times "Do you like music?" It has come to the point where I am very sarcastic and just say "no I hate music." Personally - I hate it when people ask me about my tattoos (more so strangers). That is like asking "Where did you get that burn from?" or "Thats an interesting mark on your body...whats the story behind it?" Most people do not honestly care...they are just being annoying.

It hurts - but always worth it in the end! I plan to get a .5 sleeve Phoenix once I'm down to 150lbs. I am really excited for it! :D Have fun though, and enjoy life to the fullest now.
  • kazdav
    kazdav Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Do I go out in the sun, of course because sun is good for you. Do you know that rickets are coming back due to lack of Vitamin D which is produced when in sunlight. I go out in the sun and I make sure I have adequate protection and I always wear a large sun hat and sunglasses.

I am not ignorant and yes it is my opinion, I find tattoos totally unattractive.
  • Maidofmer
    Options

totally badass

Obviously the pic was majorly photoshopped...get real...
    [/quote]

why does it have to be photoshopped?
    article-0-0D92A83C00000578-952_468x518_zpsa89f6c84.jpg
    tat_zpsbd8fe735.jpg

lighten up man. tattoos are an ultimate expression. and when I am old and wrinkly, i'll have every important expression and meaningful experience for all to see. to the OP, get what is the most freeing thing you can think of. Modifidemama's right. we all get old and wrinkly. skin is beautiful, but I like to add color. :)
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    And there we have it. The only negative comment is from someone who finds tattoos totally unattractive. And you're unlikely to change people's minds on that; it's not necessarily close minded or whatever, just personal opinion that dictates the perspective of the more generic reasons not to get a tatt.

And with that in mind, if you like tattoos on other people and given you're totally planning it, it seems unlikely you'll have a change of heart 20 years down the line.

If you can find a reason not to do it, hold off. Otherwise, totally go reward yourself with a thing you like that'll last longer than a) food and b) the latest gadget!
  • TheConsciousFoody
    Options
    Do I go out in the sun, of course because sun is good for you. Do you know that rickets are coming back due to lack of Vitamin D which is produced when in sunlight. I go out in the sun and I make sure I have adequate protection and I always wear a large sun hat and sunglasses.

I am not ignorant and yes it is my opinion, I find tattoos totally unattractive.

Not ignorant? Haha. Ok, give us your definition of "chavvy"? I would love to know how that is not ignorant. Not finding them attractive is one thing, she didn't ask if you thought it would be attractive, but using a word that is considered derogatory by some...well that is just ignorant.
  • Gemmax0902
    Gemmax0902 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would say do it!!!!!

I'm 29 and had my first tattoo when I was 16 and still like it as much now as I did then. I now have 6 in total, they are all in places that can be hidden away if need be but there part of me and am proud of them.

I'm definatly not finished either I already have ideas for my next 2 lol.

It's your body so as long as your not hurting or offending anyone else go for it.

Love Gemma xx
  • TheConsciousFoody
    Options
    Meh, I can't get the picture to be a decent size so here is the link

http://modernviolentgentlemen.com/tag/vintage-tattoos/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!