Hummus recipes

Options
Can anyone give me an easy hummus recipe? I have seen many online that require odd ingredients. Does anybody have a simple, but yummy recipe they can share....Thanks!!

Replies

• malilini
    Options
    The base is chickpeas blitzed in a food processor. Throw the beans in, start buzzing, and slowly drizzle in olive oil until you get the consistency you want. You can also add a little bit of water in addition to oil to thin it out for fewer calories. Just be careful, a bit of water goes a long way. Whereas oil you can add in as much as your calorie budget will allow.

Everything else you add is flavouring. Typically it's garlic and tahini (sesame seed paste). Garlic and lemon zest is also awesome. Paprika and red pepper flakes, delish. Balsamic vinegar, thyme and rosemary? Yum. Etc etc. Play around with flavour combinations you like and it's bound to work out.

And salt and pepper to taste is a given in all of this :)
  • csr218
    Options
    Thank you very much!! :smile:
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I need to start making my own hummus as well....
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    http://thediva-dish.com/personal-blog/hummus-makes-everything-better/

I love LOVE Hummus. It's basically Chick Peas, and Tahini (sesame paste) and whatever else u wanna throw in! :)
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I don't add oil to mine. I use some of the water they come in. Taste fabulous, and less calories!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My friend just made this one for a party I had and it was delish:

1 can garbanzo beans (the recipe I had from my friend said to warm them so I took them out rinsed them and nuked them for 25 seconds not sure if warming them makes the hummus better)
    1/4 cup tahini sauce
    juice of half a lemon
    3-4 mint leaves (I cut them up)
    fresh cilantro (optional)
    cumin (approx 1/2 tsp)
    2-3 small cloves of garlic crushed
    salt to taste approx 1/2 tsp
    1/4 cup greek yogurt (can use up to 1/2 cup)
    may add water if it is too thick

put it in a blender/food processor and blend
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I make a similar basic recipe and then add oven roasted tomatoes, basil and feta
  • deborahjoan56
    deborahjoan56 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe

1 can chick peas drained liquid reserved
    1 large clove of garlic finely minced
    1 tbsp good quality olive oil
    1 tsp fresh lemon juice

In food processor, puree chick-peas with lemon juice and olive oil, and the garlic. Continue pulsing the mixture and gradually add 3-4 tbsp of reserved liquid from the chick-peas until you have the consistency that you like.
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The base for hummus there is chick peas and tahini and usually some cumin (that helps with the blosting of all legumes) and garlic (I often don't use it). All other things are optional.
    Most recipes add olive oil, I don't. But I usually do add some joghurt or cottage cheese to make softer and less dense.
    It's easy and delicious!
  • csr218
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!