Anyone doing weight watchers

Options

Replies

• Momwasix
    Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I was about to ask the same thing as it seems counting points looks on the surface the same as counting calories. I am not bashing but to me it does not make much sense. Is it just because maybe your paying for it you feel the need to adhere to it more?
    I would say points works better cause on days where i may go out to eat and dont have any nutritional info ww gives me a estimate of points to on foods that i dont know the calories for.Example amusement park eating fried oreos they dont know how many calories are in the foods but weight watchers gives you a point value it makes me feel safe and i don't pay for weekly meetings all the info is free online.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm a long time points counter. I will say that WW helps you a ton learning about portions and moderation. It is essentially the same thing as counting calories. I'm not willing to pay for PointsPlus though. It didn't work for me. I loved it when they had Momentum or their older Points version. I lost a ton of weight with that system. Currently it's not as easy to count points the old way since obviously WW doesn't support it anymore. I'm finding it easier to count calories here. It was an adjustment period but I think I'm understanding more about calories now so I don't feel lost if I know calories instead of the Points#.

I contemplate using Points again when I reach maintenance. Why? Well, it is a very flexible system unlike the other poster mentioned above. With WW I learned to use moderation. I learned to eat at special events. I learned to comprimise without jeopordazing my goals. If I did go Over...I knew right away to get back on plan.

The old WW points is great for those starting out. Also if you focus on the power foods it is essentially the same as "eating clean". They emphazise a lot of veggies and proteins which are always great for weight loss.
  • Anna19911
    Options
    When I was loosing the majority of my weight I tracked points and track on this site. I just did because it gave me even more accountability. You can look on my profile to see my weight loss stats.
  • Momwasix
    Options
    Do you track your food both online with WW site and on this site then? Just curious. I'm looking at all my options right now...
    What ii do is log my foods in mfp take the carb protein fat fiber on new points or cal fiber fat old points use my app for ww plug numbers in and get my point value for what i ate. i have a group on here called weight watchers 360 that includes old points and new points.
  • Momwasix
    Options
    I'm a long time points counter. I will say that WW helps you a ton learning about portions and moderation. It is essentially the same thing as counting calories. I'm not willing to pay for PointsPlus though. It didn't work for me. I loved it when they had Momentum or their older Points version. I lost a ton of weight with that system. Currently it's not as easy to count points the old way since obviously WW doesn't support it anymore. I'm finding it easier to count calories here. It was an adjustment period but I think I'm understanding more about calories now so I don't feel lost if I know calories instead of the Points#.

I contemplate using Points again when I reach maintenance. Why? Well, it is a very flexible system unlike the other poster mentioned above. With WW I learned to use moderation. I learned to eat at special events. I learned to comprimise without jeopordazing my goals. If I did go Over...I knew right away to get back on plan.

The old WW points is great for those starting out. Also if you focus on the power foods it is essentially the same as "eating clean". They emphazise a lot of veggies and proteins which are always great for weight loss.

Come back to the group we neef you and miss you.
  • MountainMomma58
    MountainMomma58 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers looks at what makes up the food, i.e. fiber, protein, carbs, fat. Trying to get your habit to be eating healthier, not just low cal.
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody,
    If you are looking for the accountability of a weekly weigh in and an informational meeting with a much lower cost demand, look up your local TOPS group. www.tops.org I will admit that the composition of the groups vary, I used to go to one that was pretty much a social group. The costs are much lower and TOPS encourage the exchange program (which I hate). I have used TOPS and MFP together to make the difference for me over the last almost two years. I have several WW friends who haven't used some type of a 'group'; for accountability and they struggle to keep focused. (too easy to put it off if you don't have weigh in!)...

Anyway, good luck and pick a focus!!! Stick with it!!! My WW friends says they have a motto in WW. "If you do it a little, it works a little, if you do it a lot, it works a lot! " or something like that... I have to admit that when I stick to logging and staying under calorie and macro numbers, I do see losses! The last month, I have strayed and I have gained a little back.

Good luck everyone! Stick with it!!!

Laura
  • Juliane_
    Options

Come back to the group we neef you and miss you.

Will do :). I think what I'll do is I'll put my daily earned activity and total points for the day on my daily food diary here. So anyone who looks can always see how many points I ate. My journal is open to friends only. If anyone wants to see feel free to add.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    I have an honest question....what is the difference between WW and counting calories?

Weight Watchers is counting calories BUT using their macronutrient formula. Using their calculation, they assign point values to each food. For many people this is much simpler than tracking both calories and macronutrients. I for one think their macronutrient ratio is a bit too high in carbohydrates, but it should work well for someone with a significant amount of weight to lose. It is a nice way for someone to tread lightly into eating better as they push the fruits and vegetables.

If you are trying to lose 10-20 vanity pounds (losing fat, maintain / gain lean muscle mass), the weight watchers may not work so well for you. For those people, calculate your BMR and TDEE (google these terms if you are unfamiliar - there are free calculators online) to figure out your approximate calorie needs. Or better yet, get a heart rate monitor. Use MFP to track your calories (for free - yay). Eat CLEAN - vegetables, some fruit, lean meats, nuts, whole grains, low fat dairy, and beans (the last three are not part of paleo) with a carb-protein-fat ratio of 40-30-30. Basically limit processed foods - if it isn't natural, if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.

I lost 85 pounds using WW. I lost my vanity pounds using the method described above.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    The difference between points counting and calorie counting is this..there is tons of overwhelming information when it comes to how many calories you should and should not consume and points make that easier, I use the old system and I can basically look at somethings nutritional facts and know how many points it is. The key is to aim for 5 fruits and veges a day and also count them, some are not point free and your calculator will tell you..I have a stirfry that is home made and 1 point a cup. Keeping that in mind you will not fall into the trap of not losing weight..also, if you are hungry eat your exercise points, unlike my fitness pal, even if you ate all of your exercise points back you are only eating half the calories back because 100 calories burned is 1 point gained and 50 calories eaten is 1 point loss. Anyway..hope this helps. I have been doing weight watchers for 11 yrs now and successfully lost over 120 pounds over 3 pregnancies for a total of over 300 pounds lost with weight watchers.
  • tldarras71
    Options
    I was a member but I am burnt out on it. I recently went to a Dietician and learned a wealth of new information. Since following the dieticians plan I have losses 5lbs in 10 days. WW is a AWESOME program, I initially lost 22lbs on it but needed a change. I am in need of friends as well so I know the program and am a good source of food secrets and support. :happy:
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have last years point plus info and yes I still keep track of my points and some days I know I am within range just by what I eat but ..
    I also track the catagories that WW uses on this site to keep track of not only the calorie value but I am watching my sugar intake also and trying to reduce that so seeing those numbers helps me put it all in perspective. If I am over I can look here to see what is going on. I know WW has the extra point value but I try not to use them....just for more self control.
  • Paula46151
    Paula46151 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I joined WW and lost weight, but then they switched up the points metrics and I didn't lose. I noticed that there were no points for banana's (my favorite fruit) but they are like 140 calories. I would LOVE to join WW again, but I'm afraid I won't lose the weight with the new points system. Any advice?
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers from 2008 (weighing in at 230 pounds) to 2010 (hitting goal weight and weighing in at 149 pounds) - I am one of the success stories of weight watchers!
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about it. Do you find it easier to follow if you do it online or by going to the meetings?
    I do both but love the meetings. Our leader is a hoot and I have developed some good friendships. I think this on-line world is good for support but when you meet someone face-to-face every week THEN I feel you are more accountable.
  • lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    I do WW also
  • Juliane_
    Options
    Several years ago I joined WW and lost weight, but then they switched up the points metrics and I didn't lose. I noticed that there were no points for banana's (my favorite fruit) but they are like 140 calories. I would LOVE to join WW again, but I'm afraid I won't lose the weight with the new points system. Any advice?

If you like counting old points then you can continue to do so on your own. I added a script on my PC that changes MFP diary webpage by adding a column with my points next to each item food. The only thing is that this is not usable for the phone. So on the go you have to look at calories. But you don't HAVE to join WW meetings. You can find support online with fellow points counters that are also doing it on their own.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I have an honest question....what is the difference between WW and counting calories?

It costs money and has less flexibility/customisation.

Says some one whos never done it. You can say what you think but its gotten me where I am today and I am SO thankful for it.

I have done it.
  • Kerry1023
    Options
    Just joined WW on Saturday and could use any and all support. I used the old program in 1999 tolose weight before getting married. I've been struggling the past 2 years with MFP and online support but do not maintain the weight. I NEED the accounability. I will be attending the meeting and using the online tools as I have a FITBIT that I want to continue to use to monitor acivity levels.

Here to a healthy 2013!!!
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Seriously thinking about it, just haven't had time to go to the meetings