Pass the Butter Please

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Like I said I dont know how true it is....

It's nice when people check facts before posting alarmist crap.

Chill, mistakes happen... Good lord and I thought Hulk had anger issues
    I'm not angry. I'm annoyed.

Its new years. Go get some vodka or a polish sausage in you to relax. Clearly today is not the day you should be on the internet
    Because? I didn't realize there were Internet police out there. :-)

People posting alarmist chain e-mail crap without doing any research first always annoys me. I'm sorry my annoyance is so upsetting to you, though.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Snopes also quoted the FDA. Couldn't be a worse source of nutritional information. FDA is all about money. That being said, so much of the nutritional information available is skewed by money and bad science it's nearly impossible to find anything that is true.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Chill, mistakes happen... Good lord and I thought Hulk had anger issues
    I'm not angry. I'm annoyed.

Its new years. Go get some vodka or a polish sausage in you to relax. Clearly today is not the day you should be on the internet
    Because? I didn't realize there were Internet police out there. :-)

People posting alarmist chain e-mail crap without doing any research first always annoys me. I'm sorry my annoyance is so upsetting to you, though.

We clearly have an internet police, demanding people go to snopes and have a letter of authentication before posting.

Why are you so mad anyways? Talk to me love. I am worried about you. Why are you so angry? Its gonna be a new year soon love. A fresh start!
  • rml_16
    Options
    We clearly have an internet police, demanding people go to snopes and have a letter of authentication before posting.

Why are you so mad anyways? Talk to me love. I am worried about you. Why are you so angry? Its gonna be a new year soon love. A fresh start!

an·gry
    [ang-gree]
    adjective, an·gri·er, an·gri·est.
    1. feeling or showing anger or strong resentment (usually followed by at, with, or about ): to be angry at the dean; to be angry about the snub.
    2. expressing, caused by, or characterized by anger; wrathful: angry words.

an·noy
    [uh-noi]
    verb (used with object)
    1. to disturb or bother (a person) in a way that displeases, troubles, or slightly irritates.
  • taunto
    Options

an·gry
    [ang-gree]
    1. feeling or showing anger or strong resentment (usually followed by at, with, or about ): to be angry at the dean; to be angry about the snub.

an·noy
    [uh-noi]
    verb (used with object)
    1. to disturb or bother (a person) in a way that displeases, troubles, or slightly irritates.

Quit dodging and talk to daddio taunto whats making you upset? You can tell me, I won't judge. I promise
  • rml_16
    Options

an·gry
    [ang-gree]

an·noy
    [uh-noi]
    verb (used with object)

Quit dodging and talk to daddio taunto whats making you upset? You can tell me, I won't judge. I promise
    You know, sometimes I can't tell when certain people are being serious or silly or a little of both.

I already told you. I'm annoyed by alarmist crap that people spread willy-nilly without fact-checking. I have a low tolerance for both laziness and ignorance.

I'm bored at work and avoiding doing the one thing I should be doing by wasting time here. Once I click out of this thread, I will not think about it again until and unless I see a new post and come back to see what it said. I am not anywhere close to angry.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    In the UK at least 'margarine' can no longer be sold. So whilst there are elements of truth to the OP, it's not actually relevant.

On a personal note, I'm all for butter.
  • taunto
    Options

an·gry
    [ang-gree]

an·noy
    [uh-noi]
    verb (used with object)

You know, sometimes I can't tell when certain people are being serious or silly or a little of both.

I already told you. I'm annoyed by alarmist crap that people spread willy-nilly without fact-checking. I have a low tolerance for both laziness and ignorance.

I'm bored at work and avoiding doing the one thing I should be doing by wasting time here. Once I click out of this thread, I will not think about it again until and unless I see a new post and come back to see what it said. I am not anywhere close to angry.

See I read all of this and I sense hostility. You sound like you are using forums to take out your anger (or annoyance, whatever you wanna call it) on poor little kids on the forums.

Forums aren't for you to unload love. Talk to me here and we will get to the bottom of whats bothering you
  • rml_16
    Options

an·gry
    [ang-gree]

an·noy
    [uh-noi]
    verb (used with object)

See I read all of this and I sense hostility. You sound like you are using forums to take out your anger (or annoyance, whatever you wanna call it) on poor little kids on the forums.

Forums aren't for you to unload love. Talk to me here and we will get to the bottom of whats bothering you
    *sigh*

I give up.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

I give up.

I think he's hitting on you or something

And margarine is gross. Butter is good.
  • taunto
    Options

an·gry
    [ang-gree]

an·noy
    [uh-noi]
    verb (used with object)

*sigh*

I give up.

Butter can help with not giving up
  • rml_16
    Options
    Butter can help with not giving up

That would depend on what you're trying to do, but it does grease the wheel, so to speak.

I happen to like butter very much.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    For better taste, anyway, use spray butter (it tastes like butter, not water) and less real butter. Don't automatically butter everything, anyway, season it with spices and juices.
  • adelephant16
    Options
    1 molecule could be the difference between a breathable gas and a deadly one. This claim means nothing as 1 molecule completely changes a substance...
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Why eat much of any processed or refined fat? If you need to cook with butter for flavour you are missing out on a world of healthy ingredients IMO. I like butter on certain baked wheat products, but since they are all heavily processed crap I prefer to avoid them. Not so difficult to stop eating or cooking with dry flavourless foodstuffs.
  • Sugarhoneyicedtea
    Options
    Lactose intolerant here-butter is not my friend. That being said, when I bake for people, I do use butter in it. I do like margarine on plain toast, but that's about the only time I use it. ONE molecule is all that keeps table salt from setting your face on fire, y'know. Mmm, fire face.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

However, I've not always found snopes to be 100% reliable. In this case, some of the original post is true, while others are false.
    http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/butter-margarine.htm
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HEALTHbeat_062106.htm#art1

My personal take? While both are unhealthy if not used in moderation, I'll take butter any day over margarine, because it tastes better and is less processed.
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Butter and bacon - wooohoooooooo!!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    As I learned in chemistry class in high school and organic chemistry at the university, margarine is primarily hydrogenated vegetable oil. It has become "solid" at room temperature because of this hydrogentation (read saturation of the carbon bonds), Nearly colorless, odorless and tasteless, coloring and butter flavoring is added to give it's similated butter characteristics. The butter flavor and fragrance are also easily created in the chemistry lab.

While it is "unnatural" in the sense that churning vegetable oil won't create margarine (maybe a version of mayonnaise), generally speaking it is derived from natural materials (though vegetable oil extraction processes might not be considered natural beyond the pressing).

Personally, I choose butter over margarine when I have the choice and I use it in moderation.
  • mominwi419
    Options
    Regardless of how much of the article is true, I eat butter for one reason - Ingredient list: Cream.

I always, always, always go for the shortest cleanest ingredient list possible whenever I can.

This, this, a million times this.

I gave up I Can't Believe It's Not Butter because I couldn't pronounce half the ingredients.

Mmmm...butter
This discussion has been closed.