Really need to do it this time...

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been a member for a while but didn't really work the program or even log on very often.

I had dieted and lost the weight I wanted to in the summer of 2011, and after finally losing the weight, I found a lump in my breast and was diagnosed with breast cancer.

After going through surgery, 6 months of chemo and 7 weeks of radiation therapy with more surgeries, I have found myself thrown into menopause and taking medications that make it hard to lose weight, While on chemo, I was given high doses of steroids that pushed me from 142 lbs up to 180 lbs. I have gotten lost about 16 pounds and am now sitting at 164 but the Oncologist says I must try to lost at least 20 lbs and 30 lbs if possible. This will better my chances of not having the cancer return by 30% if I can lose the weight and start exercising either 5x/week for 30 minutes or 3x/week for 60 minutes.

It may not seem like much to some of you to exercise this small amount, but I have undergone such a loss of energy and have such fatigue after the treatment I had that I just can't get motivated. I also have problems with joint pain due to the 5-year hormone blocker pill I take every day, as well as neuropathy in my feet (painful) which I can thank chemotherapy for...

I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses. I'm not. I really need to do this. I want to live and I don't want to battle the beast again, It's so important that I get healthy. I'm 52 years old and have 15 grandkids whom I want to be around to watch grow up!

I'm just hoping to make a some friends to bounce ideas off of and to meet some people who maybe I can help keep motivated and can keep me motivated in return. i don't really know how this works...if we add friends like on Facebook or something? But if anyone wants to connect, I'm willing to give as much support as I can!

I should also add, my profile picture is not a current picture. It is a picture I had taken the day I got my hair cut short right before I started chemo. I thought it would be easier if it was shorter when I lost my hair. I eventually shaved it off when it started coming out in clumps. My hair is coming back thick and CURLY (which is was not before!) but it's still pretty short and I don't much like how it looks, so I hope you don't mind if I don't use a current picture for now.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!! I wish you all a happy and healthy 2013!

Tracie

Replies

• KHUDASGAL
    Options
    I'd love to be your friend! :)
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Now if I can figure out how to add you as my friend... :smile:
  • Todd08
    Todd08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Thanks Todd! I just sent you a request. Happy New Year!
  • tfitz12
    tfitz12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well...
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart! Feel free to add me too. Just click on my profile, and click 'add friend.' I know of exercises that you may be able to do that will help not put so much pressure on your feet and joints...I'm glad you are still here to be given the opportunity to take care of yourself; you are right - many of us do take it for granted....thanks for sharing your story.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've been a member for a while but didn't really work the program or even log on very often.

I had dieted and lost the weight I wanted to in the summer of 2011, and after finally losing the weight, I found a lump in my breast and was diagnosed with breast cancer.

After going through surgery, 6 months of chemo and 7 weeks of radiation therapy with more surgeries, I have found myself thrown into menopause and taking medications that make it hard to lose weight, While on chemo, I was given high doses of steroids that pushed me from 142 lbs up to 180 lbs. I have gotten lost about 16 pounds and am now sitting at 164 but the Oncologist says I must try to lost at least 20 lbs and 30 lbs if possible. This will better my chances of not having the cancer return by 30% if I can lose the weight and start exercising either 5x/week for 30 minutes or 3x/week for 60 minutes.

It may not seem like much to some of you to exercise this small amount, but I have undergone such a loss of energy and have such fatigue after the treatment I had that I just can't get motivated. I also have problems with joint pain due to the 5-year hormone blocker pill I take every day, as well as neuropathy in my feet (painful) which I can thank chemotherapy for...

I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses. I'm not. I really need to do this. I want to live and I don't want to battle the beast again, It's so important that I get healthy. I'm 52 years old and have 15 grandkids whom I want to be around to watch grow up!

I'm just hoping to make a some friends to bounce ideas off of and to meet some people who maybe I can help keep motivated and can keep me motivated in return. i don't really know how this works...if we add friends like on Facebook or something? But if anyone wants to connect, I'm willing to give as much support as I can!

I should also add, my profile picture is not a current picture. It is a picture I had taken the day I got my hair cut short right before I started chemo. I thought it would be easier if it was shorter when I lost my hair. I eventually shaved it off when it started coming out in clumps. My hair is coming back thick and CURLY (which is was not before!) but it's still pretty short and I don't much like how it looks, so I hope you don't mind if I don't use a current picture for now.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!! I wish you all a happy and healthy 2013!

Tracie

To try and give you a bit of hope (BTW, congrats beating cancers ***!)

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. After 16 doses of chemo and countless doses of radiation she too went from around 142-180 (she's 5'4 and is now 59). She's on the same "hormone reducing" drugs that make her joints ache. Jan 1st, 2012 she decided she had had enough of the extra weight and feeling crappy and seriously decided to lose the weight. She was the queen of excuses (even though good excuses, still excuses) and went from 180-145 this year. She was amazed how fast and easy it came off after going through all she had and being "older" when she really committed to it (in the past she'd do a couple weeks, see no results and assume it just wasn't going to happen and resort to the bag of chocolates in the back of the fridge and gain more weight).

So, moral of this story (motivation) is that it is possible to lose the weight after all the crap you've been through with a bit of patience and determination. I wish you the best of luck in 2013, I know if she could do it, so can you. Baby steps make the the most changes happen. It's not going to come off fast, but it will come off.
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I really hope that the year 2013 brings you perfect health and lots of happiness. I am sure a current picture of yourself will be just as beautiful as you were back then. You can add me. I will help motivate you in good times and in bad times.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your mother's story with me. It really does help to hear that other's can do it and are doing well, staying healthy. I can't tell you how much hope it gives me to hear this... That's exactly how I feel. I am sick and tired of feeling crappy all the time! I want to be "me" again. Thank you!

Happy & Healthy New Year to you!

Tracie
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would love to help you through this as well.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Thank you! I will add you right now. I really need a kick in the pants sometimes!
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will add you right now. I really need a kick in the pants sometimes!

Awesome, I do too! :)
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
  • fisch10
    fisch10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Please add me and we'll work hard at motivating each other!!
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Wow after all of that, just think what you'll do to this whole weight loss thing once you get a hold of it and show it what for! :smile:

Best of luck and feel free to add me if you like!
  • superdeedooper
    superdeedooper Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm also looking for new friends. Feel free to add me. ~Cheryl
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Im 51 and have high cholesterol. My dad had a heart attack before the age of 50 (still alive at age 83 thanks to Mom) but Mom died of the cancer treatment because she didnt eat enough...malnourished...and so I'm overcompensating I guess. Too many people around me dont workout and I see them struggle day to day. I dont want that. I run 30-40 miles on a treadmill because im too scared of dogs cars and horses...and we have tons of those here! Lol .I will run outside if someone goes with me or during a race. I meditate and listen to music when I run and love I dont have to go out in the cold. My kids said I wasn't a "real " runner before I shocked them at a local 5k and won my age group! They've never said it again! Start slow..it took me years of walking then run /walk combo to get to run 1/2 marathons then begin training for this full marathon in May. I reccommend you get some light weights and stretch lots. Yogas another great activity!
    Feel free to add me I have great friends on here who will love you!
    Linda
    quoting thingy was an accident! Lol didnt know you could do that! I wont kick but will nudge....
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    I think I added you when I saw the Quote. Wasn't sure what it was, but thought you meant to reply and took that as a good sign. Ha!

What an inspiration you are. I went for my first walk yesterday in over 16 months. I took my dog with me and only made it one mile and it wasn't a very fast pace, but it is a start. The first half of the mile is uphill so my legs were feeling it when I got home. It was only about 15 degrees yesterday so probably not the best day to decide to start walking outside, but I was in the mood so there I went...

Thank you so much for telling me about your running and your other suggestions. I would love nudges and suggestions for toning and getting some activity in. The activity is a struggle for me, and so is sugar! Need to find ways to cut down on the sugar, my doc says. Cancer cells love it. I don't want them to love anything about me ever again! :wink:

Thank you again for your replies. I can't believe how supportive everyone is on here. I should have looked at the message boards and asked for support a long time ago instead of thinking I can do everything myself...

Tracie