New Scale

Options
So I got a new scale for Christmas. I always used the one at the gym before and now have obviously switched to my new one. I weighed myself on both today and there was a 3.6 lb difference. I had sneakers and close on at the gym, and naked at home.. can there really be that much of a difference? And how do I tell if my new scale is accurate? Should switch over to just using my home scale now? (keeping in mind that the scale at the gym is just a small digital glass scale not unlike the one I received for Christmas.)

PS HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    There sometimes are differences in scales. It doesn't really matter...just use the same one every time to track your progress.
  • jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Options
    Shoes and clothes can absolutely weight that much. I would switch to just weighing at home.
  • squishy2981
    Options
    Use the one at home, continue to weigh yourself without clothes, and do it at the same time of day each time you weigh yourself. Best results early in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom.
  • tonya_2010
    tonya_2010 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you have any weights laying around? If so, put one on your scale to see how accurate your scale is. I know weights may be off a bit, but not 3 pounds.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I think you should strip down at the gym and use that one naked. I'm sure it's in a very private corner of the gym floor. haha
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Use the one at home, continue to weigh yourself without clothes, and do it at the same time of day each time you weigh yourself. Best results early in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom.

^this. I used to weigh myself at the one at the gym every monday morning. I then bought one from home and there was a difference. I now weigh myself every monday morning without clothes and after I showered for work. I also have my 25lb kettlebell next to it and use it every now and then to make sure it is accurate. Sometimes it's off by only 2 oz.

Good luck and happy new years to you as well!

Sheila :drinker:
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hey Sheila Ann,
    I have been told that your body will absorb water in the morning while showering since you are dehydrated from the night's sleep. Maybe you would want to weigh before you shower???
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. Just chose a scale and stick to it. I would use the one at home because you can go naked and you don't have to think about the type of clothing you're wearing at the gym. Or you could use the one at the gym and then weigh your clothing when you get home :P! But that is too much work, just use the one at home :)
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Shoes and clothes make a huge difference and also time of day. As everyone else said, doesn't matter now just use the same scale same time of day. it will show the loss accurately.
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you're really curious, why not weigh yourself on both of them, but wearing shoes and clothes? Or clothes but no shoes (assuming it's not weird to take them off at the gym...)

Shoes alone could easily be the difference, especially athletic shoes!