eating less and exercising, but gaining weight?

Options
This is my first time writing something, but I am hoping that if I post the problem I am experiencing, I will get some positive feedback. I am sure that this is a problem that many people have experienced. I know I have experienced it in the past. I have always had issues with food. I usually eat really healthy. I would much rather have chocolate or peanut butter (or both) than a hamburger. My issue is with sweets/desserts. The rest of my eating habits are really healthy as I mentioned. Working out has never been a chore for me either. I am really active. I love going to the gym. I was even training for 2 marathons, until I broke my ankle playing soccer. I am still recovering, but still am able to go to the gym, just no running. So i've been doing the recumbent bike. Just started doing the ellyptical again, and weight training. I usually go to the gym 3-5 times a week for about an hour an a half. I am keeping a food journal, in which I am tracking the calories I am eating. I am trying to lose 5 pounds by May 1st, which sounds like it should be simple enough. You read about people losing 10 pounds in a month and there are all these articles titled "Easy ways to lose 5 pounds this month." So why is it so difficult for me? (And others out there). I am 5' 2" and weigh 125. I used to eat 3 meals a day, but what would end up happening is I wouldn't be so hungry at lunch so I would just have a sandwich and fruit or yogurt, and then go to the gym and would go home and be starving. I have switched up my eating schedule since that was clearly not working for me. So for a typical day I eat 1/2 cup oatmeal (150 cal) with 2 cut up strawberries. At around 1230pm, i have a light lunch, such as soup, this past week I've been having Trader Joe's Low Sodium Butternut Squash, 1 cup (70 cal) with Trader Joe Edamame Crackers (30 crackers at 120 cals) and a granny smith apple (approx. 100 cal). Then around 4/4:30 I have a turkey sandwich on peppridge farm wheat bread 40 cal a slice and 2oz deli turkey (total 130 cal) and Danon light and fit yogurt (80cal). I also have approx 3 cups of coffee throughout the day with Fat Free half and half, total of 6 tablespoons (15 cals for 2 tablespoons, so a total of 45cals). I chew sugarfree gum throughout the day because I have a bit of an oral fixation and love chewing gum. i drink a lot of water throughout the day. Then for dinner I usually have salad (I actually love salad, dont' think of it as a diet food). Usually my dinner is 1 cup brown rice (approx 200 cal)with 3-4oz grilled chicken and broccoli. or tofu with veggies. I've also had for dessert (I told you I have a sweet tooth) is either 1/2 cup Danon Light and Fit yogurt or a skinny cow (140 cal). I used to love having peanut butter at dessert, but I know its my downfall, so I'm better off not even going near it. So here is my dillema, I am averaging 1250-1300 cal a day, and burnign a total average of 2000 cal a day--not just from exercising, this number includes my BMR plus calories burned at the gym. (that number is probably too low, but I'd rather overestimate food calories and underestimate calories burned. So if I do my math correctly, I have an average deficit of 700-750 calories a day with an average of 4,900-5250 calories a week. So my question is, if a pound is 3500 calories and I have a deficit of more than a pound, why I am I gaining weight rather than losing weight? It seems that whenever I pay more attention to what I am eating (counting calories) my weight goes up, but when I do eat lots of desserts and treats, my weight fluctuates more. I dont want a response to say that muscle weights more than fat, because I also have not lost any inches, since my clothes feel tighter. I weight 125, but now everytime i go on the scale it is closer to 130 when before (when I woudl eat a lot of desserts) it was closer to 125. Please help. I am doing my math correctly, then I shoudln't be gaining weight. Any advice/suggestions. Thanks.

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Are you burning more in exercise than you are eating? I couldn't tell from your post.
  • skylar9
    skylar9 Posts: 4
    Options
    yes to clarify, I am burning on average 2000 calories a day and am consuming an average of 1250-1300 calories a day, which gives me a deficit of 700-750 calories a day. So yes, i am burning more calories than I am eating.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I know this may be hard to believe, but i don't think you are eating enough. You are telling your body to hold onto every bit of fat you have, because with all that exercise and not enough calories it thinks it is starving. Which may also cause you to hold fluid weight as well.

I don't know how much you weigh or what types of exercises you are doing, but I would say up your calories just a tad. It is a common "diet" misconception to eat less and I will lose weight automatically. Our metabolism has quite a bit to do with it and if you don't start eating you may screw yours up.

It is a terrible cycle and I hope you start losing soon.
  • kbecker40
    Options
    Hi. Are you burning 2000 calories a day from working out? If so you're involved in workouts much too heavy for your calories consumed...I think your body is trying to tell you that it needs more energy to burn those types of calories in a workout. Talk to a trainer or nutritionist...in my opinion, you should be eating more for the amount of calories you're burning. It's a myth that we can starve ourselves to lose weight faster...our bodies rebel and hang onto fat and will go into starvation mode. Check on your calorie consumption.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Your deficit is closer to 2700 calories a day.

Average 2000 calorie diet to maintain weight plus 2000 calories burned a day less 1300 calories intake.

2000+2000 = 4000 calories needed to maintain weight.
    4000-1300 + 2700 calorie deficit

You definitely aren't eating enough. You're asking your body to survive on about 1900 calories less than you should.

Go read the posts that are stickied in the forums-it will explain it better than I can.
  • jtapp9
    jtapp9 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that you are burning an EXTRA 2000 calories a day above and beyond just livign and breathign? Like, at the gym working out burning 2000 calories? At 5'2" and 125 lbs it would take MASSIVE amounts of exercise for you to burn that many calories working out.
  • skylar9
    Options
    In a day i am burning average of 2000, not just from exercising. From working out, I am burning 400-500 cal (again this is underestimating). What are suggestion of how to up my calorie consumption. I eat when I'm hungry. And I have moved away from the 3 meals a day, and have 4 meals now. Before I used to feel hungry more often, but now having my sandwich and yogurt at 430 doens't make me hungry anymore. So it's not like I am starving myself, I eat when I'm hungry. I just eat low-calorie foods.
    thanks for the suggestions so far
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    Do you mean you are burning an extra 2000 calories a day? So, not including what your body burns for just daily function (BMR)? Cause your body needs a certain amount of calories to function, even if you just sit on the couch all day. When you calculate how many calories you are eating, are you also taking into consideration what you burned and eating for those calories? For example, if you eat 1200 calories, then burn 2000 calories, you body is funcitoning with a deficite of 800 calories which is going to send it into starvation mode and you will gain/maintain weight. Ideally, if you want to eat 1200-1300 calories AND burn 2000 calories, then really your daily calorie consuption should be 3300 (this minus the 2000 you burned equals the amount you should be eating). I just figured this one out myself, and realized I am not eating enough for the amount of Calories I am burning a day. I only burn an extra 900 or so a day, but I haven't been eating for that. I am hoping that now I know, I will start to see a difference. As to your actual diet, sounds really good. I might suggest decaf coffee with caffeinated just before a work out (it will give you the extra energy burst). Also, try eating bigger breakfast, medium lunch, and small snack and dinner, getting your carbs in as early as possible and really limiting them in the evening. And try not to eat after 9:00 pm. Hope this helps, good luck!

PS, to figure out BMR you can google it or use this formula: Women: 655 + (4.35 X weight in pounds) + (4.7 X height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    . . . .What are suggestion of how to up my calorie consumption. . . . .

Some easy ways to up calories are to
    1) switch from low fat or no fat dairy products to regular, or full fat products
    2) add a handfull of almonds to each meal (plus it adds good fats!)
    3) drink a glass of 2% or whole milk with each meal
    4) switch out any other "reduced fat," "reduced calorie," "reduced ____" for their regular versions

None of those add much food, but they all add the needed calories. Especially the nuts!
  • skylar9
    Options
    Great suggestions! Thanks. So, how many calories should i be consuming on a daily basis? 5' 2" female, 23 years old. My BMR is 1382. I have a desk job (sucky) so I am sitting for most of the day. Go tot he gym and do bike/ellypitcal for an hour and strength training for 30-40 min. Walk 20-40 min. at night. Everyone is telling me to consume more calories, so approx, how many calories should I be having a day if i want to lose 5 pounds this month, so about 1.5 pounds per week. Thanks again.
  • artsyuno
    artsyuno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Eat a bigger breakfast. It'll keep you from getting so hungry late in the day and get your metabolism moving.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! Thanks. So, how many calories should i be consuming on a daily basis? 5' 2" female, 23 years old. My BMR is 1382. I have a desk job (sucky) so I am sitting for most of the day. Go tot he gym and do bike/ellypitcal for an hour and strength training for 30-40 min. Walk 20-40 min. at night. Everyone is telling me to consume more calories, so approx, how many calories should I be having a day if i want to lose 5 pounds this month, so about 1.5 pounds per week. Thanks again.

Question: (and this is honestly out of curiosity, not anything else!:wink: ) how did you figure your BMR? Did you just use the online calculator, or did you go somewhere to have it figured? I've done the online calculators, and I used several and then averaged the numbers.

Now to answer your question? How much does MFP suggest for you? I have had great success with the numbers they have suggested! As far as me suggesting a number for you, I won't.:laugh: I don't want you to come back and blame me if things don't go the right way! Seriously though, I would start with what MFP suggests. I looked at your profile and it says that you only have 10lbs to lose. If that is your final goal, it may not happen as fast as you want. (Just a warning so you don't get terribly upset if it doesn't happen! It may happen, but just in case.) It is easier to lose weight quickly if you have a lot of it to lose. As you get closer to your goal weight, it tends to come off slower. I have lost a grand total of 1/2 lbs in the last 2 weeks:ohwell: , but I am almost at my goal and it's trickier then.

Short answer is to work the plan MFP has given you. Continue to eat healthy, make sure you're getting within about 100 cals of your goal everyday, and you will see progress. It may not be as fast as you'd like, but it will happen if you stick to it!

Keep making smart choices!
  • patwil73
    patwil73 Posts: 28
    Options
    I hate to say it, but I don't think you will lose the 5lbs this month. If your body has truly entered starvation mode - where it is holding onto everything it can - when you start to eat more it will hold on to that too. You need to get your body past that stage where it realizes that you won't be starving it anymore, before it will start releasing those stores. So unfortunately you might gain a few pounds, plateu, and then start losing - which might be longer than the month you are wanting.

I'm not sure if this will speed it up, but you might try increasing your caloric intake to = your caloric expenditure for say 2 weeks. Either eat more or exercise less. Also eat more often during the day - breakfast, snack, lunch, snack. dinner, snack so that your body start to realize it isn't starving anymore (this way you might not gain any weight). Then recheck the numbers here and start your weight loss over.

You seem to be smack in the middle of your healthy weight, which might mean your weight loss is measure in 1/2lb per week versus 1.5lb. A 1/2 lb weight loss would be burning approximately 250 calories a day more than you consume.

Hope this helps
  • valadilene
    valadilene Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I think its a bit unrealistic to be trying to lose 5 lbs in a month when you are already 125. The less you have to lose, the longer it takes.

Another good method to up your caloric intake is to have a 'cheat' meal. I have mine once a week.. and it helps keep me sane, and able to stick to healthy food the rest of the week. It also gives my body a shock of calories that will boost my metabolism for awhile as I go back to healthy foods again.
  • Angelsway813
    Options
    I am having the same problem.....and it is very discouraging.