No offense MFP but....

Options
2»

Replies

• Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I use Nutritiondata.com as well. Very accurate, great analysis and huge database :)

I just checked it out and it seems like a great site I'm sure i will be using it!! Thanks!
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I just add my own recipes to get the more accurate idea.

right but I'm building a recipe in mfp recipe calculator and using the foods people entered before that doesn't mean there not wrong. I am talking about a different site or resource other then MFP when foods DON'T have food labels.

Manufacturer's websites usually give nutritional information. Most of the food I buy has a food label and I go by that, if MFP doesn't match, I correct it.

Otherwise, you can use the recipe calculator and estimate it.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    also important to remember that manufacturers go by weight, not volume. So when I use the recipe calculator for my brownies, I weigh everything out and use the weights, not the volumes, to estimate calories. I havent come across an ingredient so obscure that I cant get a food label or some sort of reliable USDA information on it.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list

From the US Department of Agriculture.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/

To be honest, if you find a listing on MFP that doesn't have an asterisk first in the listing, it is likely to be from here- these things seem pretty accurate. User submitted data- not so much. But hen, I don;t know what someone else's idea of a lean lamb chop 1 portion is like compared to mine.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    For an entire year, I have used nothing but MFP to calculate my calories and exercise. I agree that they may not be 1000% accurate.
    But with that being said, it all seems to be working for me.

When I find a food with multiple choices, I find a reasonable one with the Cals in the middle somewhere.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I often Google whatever food it is I'm checking and cross-reference with several different sites. Quick add the calories and make a note in my food notes.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    *IMPORTANT MFP HACK*

If you want MFP to be more accurate, then you have the power to help all of us by making it more accurate!

When you add an existing food to your diary, click the "Nutritional Info" link to examine the details. If it lines up with what you see on the label, or what you find on another site that you trust more, then click "Yes" under "Is this data accurate?" Click "No" if it's way off. Then you can edit it to make it right. You can even fix typos in a name this way.

MFP is built by us users, not by some huge health organization with researchers and data entry operators. If we find errors, then WE'RE the ones who can/should fix it!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I like nutrition data.com. I use it when I see things with great variances on here.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    nutritiondata.com

^^^ When in doubt, I always go there
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    No offense, but...

It's us users that create the majority of the MFP food and exercise databases, so don't point the finger of blame at MFP itself. After you've been here a while and double checked your food values against a site like nutritiondata.com, you'll accumulate a 'favorites' list of accurate items. If something is clearly wrong, step up and help correct it.

If an item looks too good/bad to be true, chances are, it's not accurate. Ie: a slice of cake for 50 calories is unlikely, and a 2oz serving of baked ham is probably not 600 calories. So check it and revise it, if it's wrong.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

Manufacturer's websites usually give nutritional information. Most of the food I buy has a food label and I go by that, if MFP doesn't match, I correct it.

Otherwise, you can use the recipe calculator and estimate it.

If my foods have a label, i like to scan the bar code to get the correct item. If they don't i do a google search and compare the values I find and take the average depending on the sources.

Thanks for the suggested sites - I will check them out as well!!