Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone tried this? Was it helpful?

Thanks,

H

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I rarely eat it because it's very high in saturated fats (12 per tablespoon) 14 grams of fat total. I do however use it when frying something (maybe once a month). It's a great moisturizer for your skin (used topically).
    I use Spectrum Organic unrefined coconut oil.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    It is a healthy fat... but I didn't notice a difference with weight loss.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member

It's not a healthy fat. Mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated fats are the 'healthy' fats. Anything saturated and transfat are unhealthy.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member

It's not a healthy fat. Mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated fats are the 'healthy' fats. Anything saturated and transfat are unhealthy.

Not necessarily: http://www.slate.com/id/2248754

"The foundation for the "fat is bad" mantra comes from the following logic: Since saturated fat is known to increase blood levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol, and people with high LDL cholesterol are more likely to develop heart disease, saturated fat must increase heart disease risk. If A equals B and B equals C, then A must equal C.
    Men who switch from a low-saturated-fat diet to one high in saturated fat experience an increase in total blood LDL cholesterol, as expected. But the change is mostly the result of a spike in the concentration of large LDL particles, not small. In other words, saturated fat consumption typically boosts the number of particles that Krauss has shown to be harmless. "
  • spackled1
    spackled1 Posts: 13
    From what I've read about coconut oil, further studies need to be done. I don't think the claims to be a healthy fat can be substantiated just yet. As of now, I wouldn't use it for anything other than a moisturizer, or a rare treat in a special dish.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member

Not necessarily: http://www.slate.com/id/2248754

"The foundation for the "fat is bad" mantra comes from the following logic: Since saturated fat is known to increase blood levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol, and people with high LDL cholesterol are more likely to develop heart disease, saturated fat must increase heart disease risk. If A equals B and B equals C, then A must equal C.
    Men who switch from a low-saturated-fat diet to one high in saturated fat experience an increase in total blood LDL cholesterol, as expected. But the change is mostly the result of a spike in the concentration of large LDL particles, not small. In other words, saturated fat consumption typically boosts the number of particles that Krauss has shown to be harmless. "

It also boosts HDL particles - which is good.

I use coconut oil shamelessly in my cooking without fear of an angioplasty ;)
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    We use it pretty frequently. My son is allergic to milk and soy. We mostly use it as a butter replacement in baking. It adds a great flavor. I've read a lot that suggests it's very good for you. I posted a peanut butter waffle recipe on my food blog that you may be interested in www.eclecticgrub.com.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Thanks, all.
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Great oil treatment for hair.
  • lvfunandfit

I researched it about a year or two ago and the couple articles I ready, that's what it said.... my friend swore by it... I tried it now and then for flavor and wasn't totally impressed. I didn't put much into it. I'm sure things have changed in the last few years since I looked into. It was a big hype then. I didn't really go with it. I'm not a believer in "magic pills or quick tricks" for weight loss. I haven't looked into since.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member

I researched it about a year or two ago and the couple articles I ready, that's what it said.... my friend swore by it... I tried it now and then for flavor and wasn't totally impressed. I didn't put much into it. I'm sure things have changed in the last few years since I looked into. It was a big hype then. I didn't really go with it. I'm not a believer in "magic pills or quick tricks" for weight loss. I haven't looked into since.

It's not a quick fix or any gimmick. It's just a very stable high-heat oil good for sauteeing and baking. The flavor can definitely be a little odd for some dishes, though.
  • lvfunandfit

It's not a quick fix or any gimmick. It's just a very stable high-heat oil good for sauteeing and baking. The flavor can definitely be a little odd for some dishes, though.

My friend was taking it as a supplement for weight loss and cooking with it in hopes to lose weight as well. That's why I had that mindset. She is still over weight and has decided to move on to a new idea.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    There is a brand like Lou Ana that is not good at all

The one I get is from whole foods or by the vitamin section in wal mart. It depends on how it is processed whether it is good or bad. It speeds up your metabolism.
This discussion has been closed.