Couch to 5K app

Options
I'm trying to decide if I want to buy this app on my iPod or iPad and was wanting to know if anyone else has it and do you like it? Please give me pros and cons.

Replies

• mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have a c25k app on my iPhone and it was free. I've only done one day but so far so good.
  • WenonaY
    WenonaY Posts: 203
    Options
    Does it just tell you when to jog and walk
  • jeep4james
    jeep4james Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with this particular one but I have used one similar. I used cyclemeter to train for a 5k mud ru, the Volkslauf. I starts out from zero running and takes you to 5k in 10 weeks. It may have cost a few bucks but it's been worth it. One of the benifits is it uses the GPS to track and log your runs, cycles, hikes etc. That may make it difficult to use on your Ipad since that means taking it with you. It's nice to have the gps because as you log activities it will allow you to compete with your own best times and it tells you how far ahead or behind you may be. You can also compete against others with the app by downloading there runs via e-mail, all while listening to your favorite music.
    Anyways, Im sure most of the apps work on the same principle and it helped me to log my first 5k run, and I hadn't run since basic training in 1987! So like any app or training program the only one that works is the one you stick with. So is it worth a few bucks, I say yes.
    Blessing and good luck,
    James
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    It tells you walk for 90 seconds, jog for 3 minutes, etc..gradually increasing the amount of time running.
  • jello1369
    jello1369 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded and printed out a copy of the program. I only know about what I read about the app, which has a person tell you when to walk and when to run while you listen to your music. Since I only have an older ipod nano, I can't utilize such a nice app, but since I'm running on a treadmill, I figured I could keep track on the machine's timer/clock.

I'm sure using the app would be very useful if you're running outdoors where it's harder to keep track of the time.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I use the rundouble one on my Android and LOVE it!! I started it in june and can now run 5k's a few times per week....I had to repeat a couple of the weeks as I didn't feel I was ready to move on at their pace, but I am so glad I did it! for me, the app made all the difference!

Because it is on my phone, I can use the GPS that tracks my pace. it is still a thrill to see the progress I am making with speed and distance....I recommend it to everyone!!

now that I am almost at my goal weight it has given me another aspect of health to focus on. I combine running with weight days and I am seeing better progress than I ever have at 40 yrs old!!

Oh and a side note....Ive worked out for years and was DYING the first few weeks of the program but it's amazing how quickly your body adapts....it's very motivating! Google proper running form as well to reduce new runner aches and pains :)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I loved ease into 5k. It gives you a map of the route and average pace for walking, running and combined.
  • WenonaY
    WenonaY Posts: 203
    Options
    I run on my treadmil and I didnt know about a GPS on the iPod.
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Google it, I got my schedule off the internet and it worked great, as I am now training for a half marathon in march. I don't know how great the phone app is but I just set a timer on my ipod, put on some music and went for it. There are so many different programs find one that works for you! Good luck :)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The free C25K app does not give GPS but is great about training you to run more building you up each week. I am on week four and up to five minutes straight I could not do that at week one. I decided that I did want to know how far I was going so I downloaded a free GPS app from Endomondo that one tells me total time, distance with a map and speed. Both can be ran at the same time and have music playing too. If you run on a treadmill there is a treadmill C25K app.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have a free one from Zenlabs... it works great and will sync with your facebook and other aps if you want to
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Google it, I got my schedule off the internet and it worked great, as I am now training for a half marathon in march. I don't know how great the phone app is but I just set a timer on my ipod, put on some music and went for it. There are so many different programs find one that works for you! Good luck :)
  • mallory39
    mallory39 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have it and did it. I'm now doing C210K and love it too. I run on a treadmill and it works perfectly for that. I can't think of any negatives, it did what it was supposed to do. Hope you decide to try.