Tattoo reward for goal weight

Options

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I think its a great idea to commemorate milestones in your life, and tattoos are a good way (though not for everyone). A few things to keep in mind, which others I think have already said - 1) the artist really, really matters. Look over their portfolio, and if possible see their stuff in real life - and designs similar to what you want (they may do great with skulls but suck at the pretty stuff). and 2) DONT get something you saw on someone else, the internet, a book etc. Design a brand new, totally unique tattoo that is appropriate for where on your body you want it. (ie some designs are not really meant for certain locations, and skin will stretch and sag in some places more so than others - ie your stomach is not the best place if you think you might gain weight some day or get pregnant - stick with a shoulder or leg or upper back or something). (3) decide on your design, have it drawn up by the artist you plan to use (good ones will talk to you about your ideas and draw up something and embellish it a little, then let you look over and tell them what to tweak), then post that on your desk or mirror or some place you see every day. Let it live there for at least a month before you go for it. If you cant look at it for a month, or are not as crazy about it after a month, you certainly dont want it for life. If you are more and more excited to get it every time you see it, then it is the one you really want!

Good luck and congrats!
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Just think long and hard about the tatoo that you want IF you decide to get it. I wouldn't go with a tatoo that is plastered all over the internet either. Why get something EVERYONE might have. Personally that takes specialness out of it for me.
    Now I have no tatoos. I am a wuss and don't want to sit for that pain and honestly I can't think of anything that I would want on my body for the rest of my life. I keep toying with the idea of getting a claddagh with my family name in the heart but can't figure out where I would want to put it.

It is your decision and I think tatoos can be a wonderful piece of art on your body but realize they will fade and morph with weight change so be careful where you decided to put it. Avoid the mid section because if you have children that will stretch and just look funky later on. I am not saying you will balloon up again but a lot of things can happen in life. Start off small and go from there. They can be addictive as well.

And take the advice I read earlier, find a GOOD ARTIST! There are a lot of crappy artist out there. Take your time to find the right one.

Good luck!
  • madisonirons
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who gave me some insight, it's given me a lot to think about! I already have the artist in mind, a family friend with a reputable tattoo shop and I've seen his work: AMAZING! One thing I have been telling people who are trying to discourage me in fear of what I will look like when I'm older: my tattoo will be in a place that is easily hidden except when I want it to be shown. You will be able to see it when I wear certain clothes, bikini.. Etc. do you really think I will be parading around in a bikini when I'm old and wrinkly? When I reach the age that it is no longer appropriate to show off my tattoo, it will become a personal thing for just my husband and I to see when we want to.

One concern I have that was voiced a few times from some responses was the fact that the dandelion is indeed plastered all over the Internet.. I don't want a tattoo that I can find inked on a million other people, but I really like the idea and am not sure how to make it my own. I was considering asking my best friend to design it for me,( I suck at drawing, she's awesome).

Those of you who said if I gain weight in the future, it will be motivation to work it off: THANK YOU! This is my exact thought process when considering this tattoo. It will always be a reminder to what I went through and a driving force to remind myself not to go down that difficult road again, though nobody I've talked to seems to get that!

All in all, I received some good advice from everyone who posted, so thanks. I will definitely draw up the tattoo and put it in a place where I will see it everyday and hopefully still love it! I was going to have my friend henna tattoo it on my body so I can check placement and everything before I make my final decision. Thanks so much!
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have three and I'm 60. They are located where they won't be seen in the workplace and all are small. I AM getting wrinkly! We are born, we get older and in the process our bodies age. Not a damn thing wrong with wrinkles! It's our society that shuns the signs of aging like it's some kind of plague. I EARNED every one of them! I survived stuff that I never should have. My tattoos are part of my story. Two of them are very special to me. The third one, which is the first one I got and is the smallest, has no meaning and is very poorly done. One of these days I'll get it covered with something that DOES have some meaning. My only advise is choose any body art very carefully because you must assume it will be a part of you for the rest of your life. I've seen some truly dumb choices in tattoos that are later regretted. Try to get something that will stand the test of time because, if all goes well, you WILL be an old lady someday and you'll want to look at that ink and smile, not wonder what the hell you were thinking back in your 20's! I actually think the dandelion is a cute idea that will be timeless. You could add the "flying seeds" for lots of different milestones in your life, not just weight loss.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have several tattoos, and except for my first one, they are all original designs that mean something specific to me and tell about my life. My ticker shows my most recent lioness on my left shoulder - she is watching my back. No one will ever have that exact same tattoo and that is important to me.

I say get one - whatever you want - but consider finding a tattoo artist who can take your idea and draw you something original.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I love the dandolion idea. I think I will do tthat.

In May that would have been the date of my baby's Birthday, so I am going to get my first tattoo that of a sparrow for the flight he took and ontop of cherry blossoms for renewal. Hmmm, maybe I'll add dropping cherry blossom petals to show some of the weight loss.

If I ever get to the point where I can afford to have skin removal surgery and a tummy tuck. Id like to get a cover up tattoo for the scar of a phoenix (rebirth) and a dragon (my totem animal) wrapped around the represent the past, present, and future.

I say go for it I love tattoos that have meaning.
  • Burgertogo
    Burgertogo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dont....
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You definately need to spend some serious time thinking about it. It may also be better, rather than getting a specific tattoo for weightloss to get something that more represents your journey and your personality. Everyone doesn't need to know instantly that your tattoo was a reward for accomplishing your goals, as long as you do that is all that matters.

You will always get people telling you not to but it's your body and your choice. I have a relatively large tattoo on my inner wrist and it has never stopped me getting jobs.
  • ashesmf
    ashesmf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have several tattoos and I say go for it! By the way I have both my forearms covered and one leg and I work for the State Government. I only have to keep them covered when I'm in open court, but when I'm in my office meeting with client I don't! It's becoming more acceptable! Congrats on the weight loss and happy early Birthday!
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    im 18 and like u im thinking of getting a tattoo when i reach my goal...its 3 small birds to symbolize flying away from the burden of excess weight but im also scared ill regret it so i havent really decided yet but iposted a pic of the tattoo i would wantt on my profile
  • kmccormick42
    kmccormick42 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Altho I haven't personally been brave enough to get a tat, there is one on pinterest that I love. It's small cursive writing on the side of a woman's foot "thine light is the path under my feet" is what I think it says & it's from scripture.

Needless to say, just be sure you use a clean sanitary location with new needles. Working in the medical industry, I'm a little leery due to the health risks, but there are some states that certify tat parlors now.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Ok controversial. Don't do it, you have beautiful skin, don't ruin it. Think of what that tattoo will look like when you are old and wrinkly. Sorry I just think tattoos are chavvy, same goes for piercings. How about rewarding yourself with a bracelet, like pandora and with each significant milestone reward yourself with a charm.

When you skin is old and wrinkly your tattoo will look like crap, just like the rest of your skin. A tattoo doesn't really make it better or worse, and I've seen some pretty old saggy skin with tattoos. Also, I happen to think charm bracelets (i.e. pandora bracelets) look idiotic on adult women.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Won't be for my weight but after completing my Spartan Race I'm getting this:

logo-85562998_zps54963ccb.jpg
  • IronMIke123
    Options
    Tattoos are hot!!!
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My only 2 cents for you would be to make sure you go to a licensed artist (no in home scratcher) and someone who has a waiting list. I'm not saying you can't can't get a nice tattoo on a walk-in basis but you're more likely to get a great tattoo from an artist who is booked for 4-6 weeks and you have to wait for them.

Warning: Tattoos are addictive :happy:
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I got a kanji for "perseverance" on the back of my left shoulder as a reward for meeting my weight loss goal last spring.

Personally, I would only get a tattoo that means something to me and that I can cover if needed; however, that's just me.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have several tattoos and never once has it occurred to me "these won't look good when my skin is old." Why the hell would I care about what my skin LOOKS like when I'm old? I'll be damn happy to be old and still running around and enjoying life. The problem is people are so shallow and only care what other people think about their LOOKS. Looks are not where the importance lies, health is, physical AND mental, that's what matters. Being in whatever shape it is that you need to accomplish the things that are important to you. Treating yourself and others with respect. Educating yourself, loving the life you live, helping where you can, being a good person, etc... SO, yes, if even a small part of you is considering a tattoo because you just think it looks cool, then, I say, no, don't get one. Many people try to attribute some deep personal meaning to a tattoo as an excuse to get one, but only you know inside if those are the real reasons (and not just what you're telling everyone who is against tattoos.) Be completely honest with yourself and if those reasons are true and just and have nothing to do with status or appearance, then go for it. And, in all honesty, because you're asking here, I'd say no. Our opinion doesn't matter and if you were 100% sure of your decision, you wouldn't be asking mostly random strangers.
  • jamers1949
    Options
    Good luck with the Hepatitis:smile: treatments .
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As someone who has no tattoos, that sounds like a lovely idea. =) In the end, it is your body, do what you like with it. This is a meaningful form of self-expression and, as you mentioned, a beautiful reminder of what you have accomplished. Yes, you will get old and your skin will sag, but everybody gets wrinkly. It's part of life.

That being said, I would probably never get a tattoo. There's no particular reason why I wouldn't. It's just not my thing. My boyfriend, however, has full sleeves, 3 tats on his back, a chest piece, a calf piece, and at least 3 more in the making. All business-appropriate, as he is a nurse and cannot show them. One of his favorite phrases is this: "The only difference between someone with tattoos and someone without tattoos is that the person with tattoos doesn't care if you have them or not." I'm not sure if that's true, since I don't really care whether someone has them or not, but I think he is absolutely handsome and wonderful, ink and all. :smooched:

Only you can decide what's right for you. Best of luck, hun!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Do I go out in the sun, of course because sun is good for you. Do you know that rickets are coming back due to lack of Vitamin D which is produced when in sunlight. I go out in the sun and I make sure I have adequate protection and I always wear a large sun hat and sunglasses.

I am not ignorant and yes it is my opinion, I find tattoos totally unattractive.

Riiiiiiight....I'm sure that the supposed reason that rickets are coming back is due to lack of sunlight or sun exposure. :huh: Nor do I think that going out in the sun will prevent rickets (if they really are making a comeback).

Your negativity is unwelcome here. Go away now.

To the OP: Do what YOU want to do. And I like the idea of the seed floating away... FWIW. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!