Cubicle Dweller

Options
I'm looking for some ideas to keep me away from the dreaded office munchies. Funny I have a harder time at work during the week staying away from munching than at night or on weekends.

I sit in a cubicle all day. My coworkers all have candy on their desks, there is ALWAYS someone bringing in donuts or cakes or something scrumptious. I do have sugar free gum and sugar free candy with me but I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas? My past habits had me reaching for a snack if I was overwhelmed with work, bored with work, or just work in general lol. I try to get up and move as much as possible but most of the day I sit.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• damaged_glitter
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I get bored in my cube and head for the vending machine. I usually have fruit around, so I can go for that.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I am also a cubie LOL try some microwave popcorn and some yogurt I also like the cottage doubles very good and only 100 calories a serving
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can approach breaking any old habit the same as breaking any addiction...cold turkey (just stop) or slowly wean off it by allowing yourself dimminishing amounts...whichever you think will work best is the first one to try...if that doesn't work, try the other.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If there is something that is really tempting, I either get up and get another glass of water or chew some sugar-free gum.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Log it in your food diary BEFORE you eat it. That usually makes me drink some water rather than indulging.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I pretty much snack all day and I've gotten used to eating my snacks and avoiding the vending machine, candy and other treats people bring in. I bring in a lunch bag (I like the Lock&Lock one) and if it's not in there, I don't eat it. I put my breakfast, lunch and 4-6 snacks in there and it gets me to dinner.

I find if I keep snacks in my desk, I'll eat more than one serving. So I bring new snacks each day. Usually 2 fruits (cut & cored), a string cheese, and a couple other things (yogurt with frozen fruit, wasa crackers with a laughing cow wedge, bread for toast with laughing cow or PB2, veggies & dip, etc).
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I noticed something interesting in the office - even though there are unhealthy munchies, if someone brings in cut fruit or veggies, people will opt for the healthy choices. They just don't like to cut up their own fruits and veggies.
  • tshilow
    Options
    Today I walked into the office and there were two cakes sitting there for anyone to indulge in. Luckily, I don't have a sweet-tooth. But I was just thinking to myself before I read your post - I'm bored, sitting in a cubicle and I have nothing better to do than EAT!

So, I'm going to put on my winter coat and walk around the parking lot. Sounds depressing but I have to get moving! I also brought weight bands into the office so that I can work on my arms and of course my co-workers think I'm nuts.

One idea you might want to try is getting a group of co-workers to walk the stairs in your building. Every day at 2 pm there are about six of us that walk the stairs for about 15 minutes.

Good Luck!
  • christy3565
    Options
    I like the idea about logging it first. Seeing those calories has stopped me in the past for sure.

great ideas :) thanks everyone!
  • Aliykat
    Options
    My office is like that as well. Luckily I have my own office so I am steps away from all the bad food, but when I have to go speak with someone it is soooo tempting to eat what is out there!

I usually have a few sips of water right before I leave my office. Also eat fruit! I always eat fruit and it curbs the sweet cravings :) Good luck!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming quitting isn't an option? :happy:

The only thing that worked for me was getting some healthier snacks that I enjoy and look forward to eating. My "naughty" healthy snack is low fat cheese sticks. Or pretzels with all natural peanut butter. Makes it easier to stay away from "office treats" when you brought your own that you look forward to eating. :drinker:
  • KL124
    KL124 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Potlucks are the worst for me. All of my coworkers are wonderful cooks, and smelling delicious things all day makes it (almost) impossible for me to stay on track. Thank goodness Chrismas and Thanksgiving are over :)
  • IronMIke123
    Options
    put the fork down
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I also work in a cubicle. Here are some of the things that I do to keep myself in tip top, flab fighting shape.

1- Changed my desk to a standing desk. I only sit down for breaks most days. Except today, because I have a TOTAL migraine. (I actually have a split work station). I find that standing a lot of the day actually keeps my mind off of food, which is helpful.

2- Keep a full day's worth of water in my cubicle in a bottle (or two) and tell myself that I can have the snack once I've drank a full glass or two of water, if I still want it after that. I usually don't still want it.

3- Healthy snacks! I bring a lunch bag with my lunch and also stuff healthy snacks in it like carrots and hummus, grapes, etc.

4- Avoid wherever it is that my coworkers put the crappy foods. This means I have to walk to the other end of the building when I need to print something, but that just ups my steps each day, so I'm good with it.

5- I keep weights in my cubicle, along with a resistance band and a yoga strap. That way I can focus my foodie frustrations on something meaningful.

6- I keep MFP open pretty much ALL DAY on days where my coworkers are bringing in junk. That way I can whine about it to my friends and get words of support.

Hope those ideas help!
  • heygirl1000
    heygirl1000 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow I have this same problem and sometimes I can just walk away and others I cant! We are all here to help support and girl you have come to the right place! The responses you have received are amazing! I cant add anything further except I log it in and then think how long will it take me to burn it off on the treadmill on top of what I am already doing - then it is not worth it :)

Happy New year everyone!
  • christy3565
    Options
    I WISH quitting was an option lol...but sadly no I'm here for many many years (I hope)
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Of course, I do have to be fair and tell you that I work for my state's Department of Health. So my coworkers are very supportive of my desire to be fit and trim. If I need to go for a walk, I never have to go alone. In fact, I usually have a minimum of 10-12 people say they'll come along...even if it's RAINING! I also have paid workout time (90 minutes a week) so I have options when there's bad foods around me. I feel ya!
  • n_rockey
    n_rockey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a diet drawer with gum, crystal light, popcorn, almonds, fiber one bars, and sugar free candy. I also almost always have a bunch of cut up fruits & veggies with me that I eat throughout the day rather than eating specific meals (though you wouldn't know it to look at my log since I just log them closest to when I eat them). If there are sweet treats around I'll pick up a container of fruit, and usually that will satisfy my sweet tooth. If not then I head for my drawer.

Also, if I know in advance that there is going to be an event I try to plan for it. I'll have a light breakfast, or plan a salad for dinner, and then reasonably enjoy myself at the potluck. If I can I'll also sneak in an extra workout during the day- even if it's just running the stairs for 10-15 minutes at the beginning of lunch before the potluck. It curbs my appetite, and makes me think more about what I want to indulge in and what isn't really worth it to me.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I'm a cubie too! What helped me was getting into the habit of ONLY eating food that I brought with me. I'm in the office early so I pack breakfast, lunch, and snacks every day. Plan it out so you get enough calories but still have a good amount left for dinner and ONLY eat what's in your bag! Some staples are quick oats with raisins, luna bars, tuna salad packets with crackers, slices of ham or turkey and string cheese, all kinds of fruit, baby carrots/celery/peppers with hummus, greek yogurt, kashi trail mix bars or a baggie of almonds, healthy microwavable soups, etc. I'm kind of burnt out on salads right now but used to do those pretty much every day.
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Stopping and thinking is good. I found reminding myself that there will be other cookies/cupcakes/donuts etc and that I really didn't need it was pretty effective. If it was something different that I don't really get to have often or ever, I'd allow myself a taste. It doesn't work all the time, but definitely helped me cut down.