Weight lifting exercises to blast back fat? Upper/lower

Options
Yes, yes, I know you can't spot reduce. but I can sure as hell try. I'm not talking about a minimal level of back fat, either, I'll post a picture to show what I mean. I know eating well can help resolve that, but from a exercise and lifting stand point, which work outs would be helpful?

33pbxms.jpg
Note: This is NOT me, but this is about what my back looks like right now. Including the roll layer under the back

What can I help to do tone that up and melt some fat? I tried googling "Back Fat Exercises" but I didn't get many results for it.
Besides, I find my MFP family a hellova lot more insightful and helpful than Google. Would the "woodchopper" work? Anything else?

Thank you so much c: I wanna get this Italy body ;D

Replies

• Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can do is lower your body fat percentage over your whole body, which will cause that to go away as well.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can do is lower your body fat percentage over your whole body, which will cause that to go away as well.
    I'm attempting to do that by eating well and lifting. And some cardio, but not much.
  • MommaKit79
    Options

^^Agreed. But I also agree that helping tone an area is a good idea as well. I also have back fat issues and would LOVE to know some back exercises as well. Part of my problem is a weak back, which could also be yours. Agreed that you cant spot reduce and diet IS key but, you can add muscle and tone to HELP with it...especially if your "problem" area is mainly because it is the WEAKEST area. :-)
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options

This ^

Best of luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Yep.

My back used to look like that picture. Not anymore :)

A moderate calorie deficit, exercise, and time. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options

Yep.

My back used to look like that picture. Not anymore :)

A moderate calorie deficit, exercise, and time. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
    You look marvelous, as well. And I know slow and steady wins the race.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/5/muscle/lower-back
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz63.htm

Diet, like others said, but Google back exercises. The links above are just 2 that I found.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/5/muscle/lower-back
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz63.htm

Diet, like others said, but Google back exercises. The links above are just 2 that I found.
    Thank you c:
    I actually find something on that website, too. It's like a lat work out or something. I dunno. but thank you everyone!
  • iommi4
    iommi4 Posts: 20
    Options
    yea, you can't do an exercise that can just remove that part of the fat. all i can say is if you gain muscle, you will lose fat anyways. you have need a good balance in the diet and exercise. that said, if you want to work that part out more than other parts of your body try doing full body workouts like i have been doing the past 2-3 months. my entire core is much more fit. think about doing something like crossfit. if you want workouts that work out your back do deadlifts and front squats. they work out your entire core with your back. ball slams are amazing. box jumps, burpees renegade rows. i've put them all in my routine the month and half and i've see results in my core. what is your current routine at the gym?
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    100% THIS!! I used to have that prob and with 40lbs left to go I can say they are almost gone :) Good luck doll!
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    yea, you can't do an exercise that can just remove that part of the fat. all i can say is if you gain muscle, you will lose fat anyways. you have need a good balance in the diet and exercise. that said, if you want to work that part out more than other parts of your body try doing full body workouts like i have been doing the past 2-3 months. my entire core is much more fit. think about doing something like crossfit. if you want workouts that work out your back do deadlifts and front squats. they work out your entire core with your back. ball slams are amazing. box jumps, burpees renegade rows. i've put them all in my routine the month and half and i've see results in my core. what is your current routine at the gym?
    i follow the classic StrongLifts 5x5 regime with some of my things thrown in
    So in addition to the SL work out, I do oblique twists, core exercises (like sit ups, reverse crunches, planks, etc), leg press, and rows
    I usually alternate lifting days and cardio days and take a break on the weekend
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Seems like you are doing a great job. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will get there. I didn't notice any fun stuff though. The more you enjoy what you are doing the more likely you will continue your quest.
  • iommi4
    Options
    i wouldn't change what you are doing now. i was thinking about doing the 5x5.... i go with a trainer every tuesday and i'll stick to it for now until i want to build more strength. i say stick to what you are doing until you do not see the results you want. how long have you been doing the sronglifts 5x5?
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Seems like you are doing a great job. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will get there. I didn't notice any fun stuff though. The more you enjoy what you are doing the more likely you will continue your quest.
    I love swimming. that is my cardio of choice (:

Iommi4- I had a trainer to help me with 5x5 for a while, but it got to be expensive. I've been doing it inconsistently for about a month or 2 now. (:
  • iommi4
    Options
    awesome job doing it. trainers are expensive, they are worth the investment though. at least that's what i think. i benefited from mine for the past 3 months. my entire body has changed with her help. maybe not do the 5x5 program and come up with your own hybrid type program. i sorta been doing that for a month now. my routine right now is tues i go with a trainer (work on core and lower body), she teaches an extreme training class as they call it (she basically does crossfit type stuff in an hour) on wed. i take off mondays and thursdays. fridays i do chest, saturdays i do legs and sundays i do arms. i would add supersets on two of those days and burnouts for my arms. my super set would be on fridays which includes renegade rows with say a one arm dumbell press. on leg day is where i really work out my back and core again. i do front squats (i love doing front squats.... back squats are dead to me now lol), deadlifts, hang cleans, and shoulder presses for my strength. then for heart pumping stuff i would do say burpee box jumps with kettlell swings or medicine ball pushups. this weekend i decided to do at the gym ball slams with box jumps. thats a great workout. also i do run so i ran on the treadmill at home last night. every half mile i stopped and did 10 burpees. that was a hell of workout. have you tried kettlebell workouts? they are great.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Worth repeating.

Calorie deficit.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, I know you can't spot reduce. but I can sure as hell try. I'm not talking about a minimal level of back fat, either, I'll post a picture to show what I mean. I know eating well can help resolve that, but from a exercise and lifting stand point, which work outs would be helpful?

33pbxms.jpg
    Note: This is NOT me, but this is about what my back looks like right now. Including the roll layer under the back

What can I help to do tone that up and melt some fat? I tried googling "Back Fat Exercises" but I didn't get many results for it.
    Besides, I find my MFP family a hellova lot more insightful and helpful than Google. Would the "woodchopper" work? Anything else?

Thank you so much c: I wanna get this Italy body ;D

Off the top of my head, i would say to use the back extension machine, the lat pull down machine, and maybe some sort of row machine.

this was me about 14 months ago. Obviously, I have back boobs and other rolls of fat on my back
    7729114768_eeefdd2e34_q.jpg
    IMG00184-20111007-0934 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is me in June. Exact same outfit, no obvious rolls left! Sorry about the blurriness, my 7 year old took the pic.

7719009094_f62ecbece8_q.jpg
    IMG00566-20120621-1238 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • IronMIke123
    Options
    Yes, yes, I know you can't spot reduce. but I can sure as hell try.

WHAT?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how weight lifting changes the overall look of your body while you are endeavoring to lose the fat!
    Good exercises for that would be pully rows and bent-over dumbbell rows.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    of course clean eating and eliminate simple carbs and increase protein . . . blah blah blah to lose the fat . . .

pull-ups (can start w/ assisted pull-ups)
    lat pull-downs
    hyperextensions